2024 World Championships Rhythm Dance | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Rhythm Dance

readernick

Medalist
That's not quite the reason. If you think chock and Bates have the best material, you like posing. I prefer flow and intricate holds and steps

The best reception from the crowd was for Lala and Piper and Paul. CB had a small standing ovation, mostly at ice level. Pretty much nothing at the 200 level.
If you like flow and holds, then you should indeed support the Italians. Because, those really are not P/P strengths either. G/ F use of hold otho is effortless.

Hardly surprising that the Canadian teams got the most support in Canada. But, at least in camera, C/ B's program also seemed to be a hit.

About the programs, as I said, I stand by my opinion. I think that's why C/ B have such a lead. They managed to do 80s, be campy, and yet still look stylish. The other teams just looked camp without style. And IMHO, P/ P program is a bit boring. Their freedance OTHO is my favorite from them since they did Hitchcock. Hope they do well in the free and I , frankly, would be very happy to see any of these three teams win.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If you like flow and holds, then you should indeed support the Italians. Because, those really are not P/P strengths either. G/ F use of hold otho is effortless.

Hardly surprising that the Canadian teams got the most support in Canada. But, at least in camera, C/ B's program also seemed to be a hit.

About the programs, as I said, I stand by my opinion. I think that's why C/ B have such a lead. They managed to do 80s, be campy, and yet still look stylish. The other teams just looked camp without style. And IMHO, P/ P program is a bit boring. Their freedance OTHO is my favorite from them since they did Hitchcock. Hope they do well in the free and I , frankly, would be very happy to see any of these three teams win.
Actually, Piper and Paul have very interesting and creative holds. Maybe less flow but they are quite good with what I would call more traditional ice dance. Yes, the Italians do that well and have more flow but they project way less and today, were a bit more messy than usual. Chock and Bates were very good too but they pose a lot. They have a spectacular lift at the end. What you see on the steam are the first few rows near the ice. That is not representative of the entire venue.. and yes, it is expected that Canadian teams would get support for what they do but not always
When the skate is so so, there is no automatic standing ovation and vice versa. There have been very huge ovations for non Canadian with great performances... But the one for chock and Bates was very mild. In any case, my point is more that the three teams were quite close, and if anything, the Italians would have a narrow edge. What the scoring says does not really match what I perceived, but I am not pretending to be always right.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They surprised me, in a very good way, at US Nationals. I am really disappointed that they didn't duplicate that here.
Without the fall, Bratti/ Somerville probably would have made the cut. Let's be honest, they were skating great before the fall happened. It's surprising to see it happen to Ian. He is such a great ice dancer. But, ice is slippery. Maybe he got a bit excited and took a misstep. It can happen quickly, especially when skating athletes are pushing the envelope. They lost about 5 to 6+ pts surely.

Were the early groups shown on Peacock?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you read the reports from many, Canadian fans just love good skating and have been supporting skaters of all nations who showed great performances and encouraging those with difficult times
Yes, I am aware of that Canadians love many good skaters, so do the Japanese as we all know. But that doesn't mean that they can't be that bit more enthusiastic and hoping for gold for their own when their own do well - that's not bias, that's just human nature. Every country wants their own to win.

I really like Piper and Paul's RD so lots of cheering (and a big crowd, did they manage to fill the seats?) was really warranted with that, I'm glad they got it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, I am aware of that Canadians love many good skaters, so do the Japanese as we all know. But that doesn't mean that they can't be that bit more enthusiastic and hoping for gold for their own when their own do well - that's not bias, that's just human nature. Every country wants their own to win.

I really like Piper and Paul's RD so lots of cheering (and a big crowd, did they manage to fill the seats?) was really warranted with that, I'm glad they got it.
This is the largest NHL rink in NA. It is not completely sold out but it is quite full. Also, let's not be foolish, I am meeting lots of people from all over the world here. There are tons of Americans visiting. I see lots of Japanese fans as well. So let's not imagine that the cheering is just made by Canadians. Right now, amber is on the ice..biggest cheer of the day so far...

slider11

Medalist
Without the fall, Bratti/ Somerville probably would have made the cut. Let's be honest, they were skating great before the fall happened. It's surprising to see it happen to Ian. He is such a great ice dancer. But, ice is slippery. Maybe he got a bit excited and took a misstep. It can happen quickly, especially when skating athletes are pushing the envelope. They lost about 5 to 6+ pts surely.

Were the early groups shown on Peacock?
The early groups were on Peacock but there was about a 20 min loss of feed in the middle.

slider11

Medalist
Lots of opinions here and many with good supportive evidence. I am not surprised or particularly upset about the standings. I just would say that Piper and Paul have such beautiful holds and edges and almost a balletic way of dancing. Their stature, line and movements have such nuances. For those who think they are "slow", the music they skated to was not super fast or frenetic so they skated to the proper tempo. But I feel their dance perfectly melted with the music and displayed splendid dance.

Madison and Evan were very confident and it showed in their dance. It was skilled, acrobatic and fine. I just was not that enamored with the performance but I can see the judges are.

Charlene and Marco were very fast and slick. At times their moves are almost mechanical, very sharp and precise. I'm not a fan of the bizarre makeup but I guess it matched the performance. They were great.

Lila has improved her technical skills and Lewis does a good job of showcasing his. They are very entertaining and the 80's vibe fits right into their wheelhouse.

I can't wait for the FD. I am hoping that all teams skate well and that each dance is fairly marked on its technical and artistic performance.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
A standing ovation for Chock and Bates is not a shock. Montreal is their home training base and they are the top team at the IAM.
This is very on point. As a matter of fact, other skaters from IAM, like Smart/Dieck got quite the welcome from the crowd. Also, this got me noticing the crowd more and more during the Women's LP. The first few rows, ice level, tend to stand up way more... and that's what is seen on TV. The really big ovations that were spread from the first rows to the nose-bleed seats so far were for Deanna and Max, Riku and Ryuichi, Kaori, LaLa and Piper and Paul. (I think for Loena's SP as well.)

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Piper and Paul and Charlene and Marco really have to go out and give it their all in the FD and not make a single mistake. They must not skate as if it’s all over and there’s no hope. It’s not out of the realm of possibility for Madi and Evan to make a major mistake - think 2018 Olympics FD, 2021 Worlds FD, 2022 Olympics RD, 2022 Skate America FD, etc.
Oh, I agree, though I will never forgive or forget that they fell in their FD last year and not only still won, but got a season's best score. That was a blight on ice dance. At least Piper and Paul finally caught a break in the draw and get to go last and bring the house down (I hope) in the free dance. They skated an absolutely superb RD here. I hope they are proud of that, no matter what the points said.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's not quite the reason. If you think chock and Bates have the best material, you like posing. I prefer flow and intricate holds and steps

The best reception from the crowd was for Lala and Piper and Paul. CB had a small standing ovation, mostly at ice level. Pretty much nothing at the 200 level.

I like C/B best of all the skaters today. If that makes me an unsophisticated rube who does not appreciate the fine details of ice dance, so be it. :) I do take some small comfort that the judges who were at the rink agree with me as well.

ETA: La/La were actually second for me. They were a breath of fresh air.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh, I agree, though I will never forgive or forget that they fell in their FD last year and not only still won, but got a season's best score. That was a blight on ice dance. At least Piper and Paul finally caught a break in the draw and get to go last and bring the house down (I hope) in the free dance. They skated an absolutely superb RD here. I hope they are proud of that, no matter what the points said.
this is another one that doesn't sit well with me... FBS mess up the twizzle and they lose 5 ranking spots... or so... and some teams make a glaring mistake and get a season's best.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I like C/B best of all the skaters today. If that makes me an unsophisticated rube who does not appreciate the fine details of ice dance, so be it. :) I do take some small comfort that the judges who were at the rink agree with me as well.
I think I was clear in what I said. CB are far from being bad/awful. They skated well today. They sell their program well. Their lift is amazing. The program has a lot more cigarette breaks in it than most of the other top teams. For me, Ice dance needs to make me feel like dancing the whole time. As a non-smoker, I don't enjoy those breaks :) When Madi was dancing, gosh she was convincing ;) but when she wasn't... MEH. Also, there is another problem. He carries her... She carries the music/connection. It's like they both have their own specific job to do. I prefer when both skaters are working together to both carry the technical weight of the program as well as the performance.
Some people like ketchup on their fries. I am a mayonnaise kind of guy. It's all good.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I was clear in what I said. CB are far from being bad/awful. They skated well today. They sell their program well. Their lift is amazing. The program has a lot more cigarette breaks in it than most of the other top teams. For me, Ice dance needs to make me feel like dancing the whole time. As a non-smoker, I don't enjoy those breaks :) When Madi was dancing, gosh she was convincing ;) but when she wasn't... MEH. Also, there is another problem. He carries her... She carries the music/connection. It's like they both have their own specific job to do. I prefer when both skaters are working together to both carry the technical weight of the program as well as the performance.
Some people like ketchup on their fries. I am a mayonnaise kind of guy. It's all good.

I agree, it is a matter of taste. I am far from a ice dance maven, so I am only talking about what I like.

I have really tried, for example, to appreciate Piper and Paul more. So many fans (fans I respect) love them, and they are beautiful skaters. I just don’t see the superiority over C/B, but hey there are a lot of things I don’t see.

I agree that Madi and Evan each have roles in their dance and play them (in my mind play them to perfection). That doesn’t bother me, in fact I somewhat admire it. (Just as an aside, I hate the music of Queen with a passion. Didn’t like it in the 70s/80s, don’t like it now. The fact that I watch this RD without muting is a great testament. :laugh:

Thank you for all your reports and get some rest for another big day tomorrow :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree, it is a matter of taste. I am far from a ice dance maven, so I am only talking about what I like.

I have really tried, for example, to appreciate Piper and Paul more. So many fans (fans I respect) love them, and they are beautiful skaters. I just don’t see the superiority over C/B, but hey there are a lot of things I don’t see.
To me, it's not about seeing anyone's superiority from the others... it's about appreciating them for what they do ;)
I agree that Madi and Evan each have roles in their dance and play them (in my mind play them to perfection). That doesn’t bother me, in fact I somewhat admire it. (Just as an aside, I hate the music of Queen with a passion. Didn’t like it in the 70s/80s, don’t like it now. The fact that I watch this RD without muting is a great testament. :laugh:
very hard to mute it live... :) but there was worse music ;) Another thing that shows how they are responsible for their own shifts. The costumes... She's shining. What was he wearing again?
Thank you for all your reports and get some rest for another big day tomorrow :)
I am rewatching.. just to make sure that what I saw live at the rink still makes sense on streaming :)

rain

Record Breaker

ETA: La/La were actually second for me. They were a breath of fresh air.

I agree with the 4everchan about Maddie and Evan.

I also think it's fair to like who you like best. It's no secret I have my favourite (Piper and Paul), and would have had them first on the strength of their material and their performance. However, I don't see how anyone can, in their heart of hearts, really believe that it's correct for the judges to put the win out of reach of all but one team on the basis of how everyone here skated today.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Sometimes the home crowd is not the majority. At WC there are plenty of many, especially at small feds. Been there and seen that personally: Somebody had birthday, just small applauses when it was said in Finnish, huge applauses when it was said in English.

People can never agree who is the best. I have never been biggest fan of the C/B but Piper and Paul, the Czechs and some other, who are not top level skaters, l and local skaters are the reason why I watch ID at all. I don't care who has more difficult or who pose, to me it is just what I see personally. ID is much harder to understand than singles. Only timing and presentation are things I understand. I could learn, but I won't. I have more important things to do. I just enjoy. But I like ID live, it is totally different then IMO. To be honest I mostly like score boxes, but not at ID. Yesterday I watched more than I have watched RD in ages.