Russia wants to Bring Back Its Oly Winners | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russia wants to Bring Back Its Oly Winners

Blue Bead

Medalist
Zanzibar....you really should put a pre-warning label on photos of Alexei like that, LOL. I followed your link and gasped, nearly swallowing my tongue. I'm still fanning myself!:biggrin:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Yeah, he's not bad, but I still don't think anything tops Abt in the sarong...

There's something about the way it's blowing in the warm Caribbean breeze...will probably always be my favorite one.

Speaking of which, LOL, considering the topic of this thread...funny that Piseev hasn't tried to bring him (Sasha Abt) back yet. He actually asked him the first year of COP, thinking it would suit his style, but once Sasha went pro he didn't look back.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding Alexei, and this is just hypothetically speaking - he would never attempt a comeback without first getting his hip surgically fixed. He's the kind of guy who never plays a game he doesn't stand a realistic chance of winning.
Oh just to have one more chance to see the Yagudin/Plushenko rivalry on ice. That would be spectacular for me!!!

Now back to reality, I too wouldn't want to see Alexei come back unless he had a 95% chance of winning. I don't think he knows the word, lose. That's what made the rivalry and the skating then so wonderful.

Dee

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
From what I have seen of Yagudin in that silly annual pro competition in Canada, and even on the skating tours I would be stunned if he even tried to return competitively. He also has skated in that pro am in Japan after Worlds the last couple years and got buried.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Of course, but that's because he didn't do triple axels and quads, etc. He would never attempt a come-back without a successful surgery on his hip. I'm not saying that if he does have surgery he will try again to compete, only that IF ever in a parallel universe he did decide to return, completely theoretically speaking, LOL, it would only be after a successful operation.

Mafke

Medalist
Just the kind of forward looking creative approach we've all come to expect from Piseev....

Is Alexei's hip situation operable? I thought it was some kind of congenital degeneration. :cry:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Well, I'm no doctor..although I play one on TV.....
And I do make house calls....
Sorry, I digress.

Doctors have said that he has a congenital condition that regardless of the continuous pounding his hips took from jump landings, would have eventually bothered him when he got older. But, that condition obviously did not help matters. He could opt for a complete hip replacement (ala Rudi Galindo who has had two I think) and possibly a less radical procedure where they basically keep the base of the original structure and build onto it, sort of like capping a tooth on a much grander scale.

So...wipe up those tears Mathman! ;)

p.s. I made sure to photograph that nearly pristine right hip in all of its present glory, should he someday opt for surgery and end up with a big scar (although with modern surgical techniques, closure, staples, etc., scarring can be minimal).

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Even if he had a successful surgery I could not see him returning in a million years if he needs "95% to win events". He would be a 27 year old atleast(assuming the earliest return of late this season)which is already old, who has been out of amateur competition for 6 years. He would be returning as an older skater for amateur standards, after an extremely long layoff, with a surgically repaired major body part. He would also be learning a new system, and needing to learn spins and steps that put alot of pressure on the joints that suit the new system.

Even in his prime he wasnt "95% to win events" because of Plushenko's close challenge.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Sounds like Ilia Auverbukh is saying in a news article today that Tat and Max will be doing his TV show, starting in September. Here's what he said when discussing the cast for his skating-with-celebrities type TV show's upcoming second season:

"The continuation of "Stars on Ice" starts during September, preparation already began. Composition now appears. From the figure skaters will be the same Olympic champions Aleksey Yagudin, Tatiana Navka, Roman kostomarov, Tatiana totmyanina, Maxim Marinin, Elena Berezhnaya, Anton Sikharulidze. There will be the new persons. Are conducted negotiations with the Bulgarian duet, two-fold champions of the peace (world champions) Albena Denkovoy and Maxim Stavitsky."

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It would seem as though Russia is going through what Canada is experiencing right now - rebuilding it's team. Canada had a wonderful span there with great skaters like Karen Magnussen, Toller Cranston, Martini and Underhill, Wilson and McCall to name a few and then came along Kurt, Brian, Victor & ShaeLynn, Jamie and David - now they have all moved on and the new generation is building and rebuilding. There is new talent on the horizon as we speak.

Russia has always dominated figure skating especially in the pairs discipline. It must be a frustrating time for them to start rebuilding their team. It takes time. I am sure they will do it.

The only advantage I can see in having former Olympic and World champions return is that it will help inspire new skaters. I know some of the new Canadian champions really look up to our former Olympic and World champions - like Kurt Browning and Brian Orser.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It would seem as though Russia is going through what Canada is experiencing right now - rebuilding it's team. Canada had a wonderful span there with great skaters like Karen Magnussen, Toller Cranston, Martini and Underhill, Wilson and McCall to name a few and then came along Kurt, Brian, Victor & ShaeLynn, Jamie and David - now they have all moved on and the new generation is building and rebuilding. There is new talent on the horizon as we speak.

Russia has always dominated figure skating especially in the pairs discipline. It must be a frustrating time for them to start rebuilding their team. It takes time. I am sure they will do it.

The only advantage I can see in having former Olympic and World champions return is that it will help inspire new skaters. I know some of the new Canadian champions really look up to our former Olympic and World champions - like Kurt Browning and Brian Orser.

Traditional powers like Russia, Canada, the U.S, France, and Germany, have to deal with the rise of Asia in the sport. The Asians are now a huge factor with China becoming such a dominant power in pairs, and Japan becoming such a major force in both mens and ladies singles. Even Korea having a skater like Yu-Na Kim emerge. This is different from how it has been for many years where Asia only had occasional contenders in the womens singles out of Japan for awhile(and the real occasional exception elsewhere like a Lu Chen), and that was it. The rise of Asia leaves less medals to go around, so someone is going to lose out.