Russian Senior Test Skates 2021 - Short Program | Page 51 | Golden Skate

Russian Senior Test Skates 2021 - Short Program

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I just finished watching. In my opinion, the Juniors overtook the Seniors with their SP’s.

Overall, a good start to the season. Will be a tough battle between the 4 Seniors vs. The 4 Juniors.
I mean..they're seniors now..

It isn't really fair to call them juniors at this point. First year seniors upstaging more experienced seniors isn't anything new though...

Tokyo Drift

On the Ice
Country
France
ezgif.com-resize.gif

bramweld

Record Breaker
Favourites today

Dance: Davis and Smolkin - they understand the vibe, special mention to Kiril A., you own the vibe. Katsalapov you need to commit to the camp since you don't have the vibe.
Men: Tie - Kolyada and Peter
Pairs: The Artist SP - charming
Ladies: Kamila, special mentions for Ksenia Sinitsyna and Empress Liza

Ready for day 2?

Zora

On the Ice
Just some random thoughts:

I thought Maia has become a lot more expressive. I would love to see her grow artistically over many years, but because the Russian field is so crowded, I fear we won't get the chance to. I just don't like the black dress for her at all, it doesn't suit her hair color, I hope she gets a better one for this season.

Darya's skating is all about quality. She is flying over the ice, looks very athletic and elegant. I vastly prefer this song over the song from last year. Nice!

Seeing Liza skate to Die Fledermaus just makes me happy :), Sofia's program was really cool, Ksenia's music was interesting, her skating maybe not so much.

I looove Anna's music choice, finally something different from her. I can easily imagine this program at the Olympics. But there's something I don't like about her arm movements, not just in this program. She is bending them too much too often, I don't know.

Aliona on the other hand is the queen of arm movements for me. But this program is a disappointment, especially the middle part with the spins. Also, she looks really grown-up now and I hope she won't struggle with underrotations from now on...

Sasha - finally a good program for her! She rushed the choreo a bit before her spin in the beginning, but other than that everything was good. I'm not sure if I like or hate the all red look. 😅

Liza Tuktamysheva looks super athletic, she seems to be in really good shape, and I think this program suits her well and it's as much as we can hope from her artistically. (y)

Kamila's skating quality was outstanding. I loved the program, her look, everything. I don't know why everyone hates the long skirt, I think she looks stunning with the skirt floating around her.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Just some random thoughts:

Aliona on the other hand is the queen of arm movements for me. But this program is a disappointment, especially the middle part with the spins. Also, she looks really grown-up now and I hope she won't struggle with underrotations from now on...

Question.

Seriously, why would Dani G. give her such hideous music that was recently used by SB and also trash talk her in the press before she skates? The environment is toxic, for her. She rushed in leaving Plushenko. She should have stayed everything just takes time. His Angels have really upped their game this year.

I find Frida is just ridiculous for Sasha, she has no clue what she's skating to, it was clearly visible in Eteri's eyes after the skate. Daria, would have been a better fit for that music, but she can skate to anything. But, say what, Sasha is young, all things being equal, Beijing may only be her first OGs.

esteticlove

Final Flight
I looove Anna's music choice, finally something different from her. I can easily imagine this program at the Olympics. But there's something I don't like about her arm movements, not just in this program. She is bending them too much too often, I don't know.
I think it is the disconnection between the "egyptian arms" parts of the program and than the "keeping the balance arms for crossovers" inbetween. Tbh, this choreo and music screams Alina Zagitova. But I am sure that Anna will make it work best, she has really great artistic abilities.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I just watched Liza's skate, and I thought it was really something this early in the season. As some of you know, I'm not really a follower of the women (except for a few whom I really like) and Liza is one of the women I admire and enjoy watching. she manages to improve again and again. I am so hoping for her to get an Olympic spot! It may be difficult with all the good Russian women already present, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Zora

On the Ice
Yes to all, except loving the program :laugh:
Haha, it works for me. I don't think it's a choreographic masterpiece and usually I don't like these kind of programs, because they are just too easy to choreograph. A spiral here, an Ina Bauer there, and there you have the choreography. But it's Kamila's quality of skating and movement that makes this program special. And unlike some other skaters, at least she listens to all the subtle music changes and reacts to them.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Haha, it works for me. I don't think it's a choreographic masterpiece and usually I don't like these kind of programs, because they are just too easy to choreograph. A spiral here, an Ina Bauer there, and there you have the choreography. But it's Kamila's quality of skating and movement that makes this program special. And unlike some other skaters, at least she listens to all the subtle music changes and reacts to them.
I get that. It's easy to forget the hokey choreo in it when you're just letting yourself watch her perform. That's to her credit, absolutely.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think I would have minded the nondescript choreo less if I didn’t accidentally read Gleinhausen’s (and Valieva’s) explanation of it. She is a girl upon whose arm a butterfly alighted in a pretty garden. She chases the butterfly the whole skate. Only it’s not a butterfly, it is a dream… I feel like saying, hello, it’s 2021! Can we get something less basic?

She is incredible. Why are they giving her something from the higher shelf to interpret? And tomorrow she will have bolero…

I am starting to wonder if her Picasso program is going to be her best

katymay

Medalist
Any scores?
In fact there are, but only coaching teams and the athletes are privy to them. One year I think Kamila's were made public, but generally it is kept private.

As far as ranking-I would rank Kamila all alone at the top, and the rest are works in progress. A missed combo, missed 3A's, coming back from an injury etc. ALL are working with growth and post puberty body changes, so the allegation that Eteri "does something" to keep puberty from happening is pretty much debunked by her very grown up looking skaters.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
it just feels like they have not progress as what we have wanted them to be.

If I were Rusfed I will probably start betting on K/B, D/S or S/N even bring one of them to the olympics as a preparation of next quad's push.

But hopefully Z/G can prove us wrong
Yes I think that’s it - they seemed to have stalled - I haven’t seen much progress in their skills for a few years now ☹️

bramweld

Record Breaker
Yes I think that’s it - they seemed to have stalled - I haven’t seen much progress in their skills for a few years now ☹️
In defense of Z/G, I don't think Kus/Alex are the coaches to help you develop in that area. Anastasia S., partner to Kiril A. has stalled for years now. You either have to work with Zhulin or Morozov, no other Russian coach seems to be able to help with that.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I thought it was an amazing day of skating so many great performances.

My favourite performances were;

Dance: Skopsova/Aleshin (not my favourite dance team but I enjoyed them the most)
Men: Samarin, The Matrix really works for him
Pairs: Tarasova/Morozov. Outstanding. I felt it really built to an emotional end. The Pairs field were great.
Ladies: Liza T. Bar Khromyh I was underwhelmed by the TT choregraphy. Great to see Ksenia S back.

It’s great that the Russian Fed allow these events to be broadcast. I really like Ted’s commentary but he really needs to work on the names, he was butchering some of them.

Looking forward to the free skates tomorrow.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Caught up on some of the ladies and have some thoughts:

Liza Tuk: The Empress, the ruler of the Lutz. I love everything about this program! The dress is glorious, she must keep it! Of interest...Liza had skated to this music before - without the vocals.

Sofia Samodurova: I will forever stan, Sofia, she's so unique! I love her style! Did you see her singing along :biggrin:

Maia: I really enjoy this program, she obviously loves it and her costume is so eye-catching, I love the gloves.

Liza N: So classy! A real ballerina on ice. I know it was under-rotated - even my eyes can see that ;) - but I really loved the mark her Lutz made on the ice.

I'll definitely miss the FS because it's Sunday and I have to go to bed at a decent hour :p

eterialskating

On the Ice
This SP is not Anna's style. I could picture Alina skating to this but not her. Lyrical and classical music is her forte and she should stick to that this season. Judges have always been partial to this brand of skating so the logical move is to continue with that and they can experiment next season.