Sakamoto eyes 2023 World podium | Golden Skate

Sakamoto eyes 2023 World podium

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

"I always wanted to cut my hair," she admitted laughing, "but the timing just didn't work. During the Olympics, I had a phone call with my friend who said 'why don't you cut it after the World Championships?' So I did. Before nationals, I got some highlights done. If I want to change my appearance, now is the time to do that. In my mind, the ideal adult woman has many different kinds of characteristics: on one hand, she should be cool, on the other voluptuous. I'm not able to pull it off, it's very difficult, but I'm trying my best while doing it."

So glad she got her mojo back for nationals! Here's wishing her much success at Worlds!

What are your thoughts? Can she defend her title at Worlds? Do you like her new look?

Kaori Sakamoto 2.jpg

Last edited:

Azikin

Medalist
What are your thoughts? Can she defend her title at Worlds? Do you like her new look?
Without Russians she can, of course. I'm quite sure the GPF disaster won't repeat. As for her new look, I don't like it at all.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Not sure I like the highlights, but the cut itself is great. She is my favourite woman skater by far and she should be able to win worlds when she is in the right headspace.

Weathergal

Medalist
I enjoyed the article -- it gave some nice glimpses of Kaori's personality. I definitely think she's in the running for a World medal, including the gold. I love her new look. I think the hairstyle really complements her face, and she looks great.

liv

Record Breaker
A tight pulled back bun is your typical female skater go to look, but with Kaori's strong features, the short do suits her better... it opens up, frames, and softens her face. I love it on her.

And I think she's the favourite, with Loena, for gold.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Without Russians she can, of course. I'm quite sure the GPF disaster won't repeat. As for her new look, I don't like it at all.
She did just fine against the current Russian silver medalist in the individual event at the last Olympics, if I recall correctly. :rolleye:

Kaori's back in the driver's seat and can definitely defend her World title. But there are several skaters who can beat her if they get it together and she's even slightly off. I'm hoping Mai will play spoiler but I would love to see Loena win too. Even a technically perfect performance from Levito could win it.

The new cut is edgy, but there's still something awkward about her that makes it a bit off. While I enjoyed her FS last year, I'm not a fan of her programs this season... the Janet Jackson number needs more attitude, and Elastic Heart could use better choreo. I do appreciate her going outside the box this season - certainly not a lot of Japanese skaters tend to go as quirky with both of their programs as she has. There's a lot of pressure on her, but I think she can rise to meet it.

JimR

On the Ice
She did just fine against the current Russian silver medalist in the individual event at the last Olympics, if I recall correctly. :rolleye:
That wasn't a straight fight. We know what the Russian silver medalist was dealing with that caused her to have a disaster skate.

Sakamoto has to be overwhelming favourite for the gold in the world championship if you look at the field. I know she's playing it down to take the pressure off herself, but I can't see anyone beating her. The judges are always generous too.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That wasn't a straight fight. We know what the Russian silver medalist was dealing with that caused her to have a disaster skate.

Sakamoto has to be overwhelming favourite for the gold in the world championship if you look at the field. I know she's playing it down to take the pressure off herself, but I can't see anyone beating her. The judges are always generous too.

Respectfully, there are skaters dealing with pressure/injuries/etc. who also had to perform well. Yes, the disaster skate was in part due to scandal. But she also could have just as easily crumbled without any scandal due to the pressure of being the fave.

Lipnitskaia had a fantastic team event and crumbled due to the pressure of being the individual fave. There was no injury or scandal that led to her placing 5th in the individual.

Zagitova crumbled at 2018 Worlds in spite of being the overwhelming favourite and people just chalked it up to Olympic fatigue. But Osmond talked about how difficult and exhausting it was for herself to go to Worlds let alone perform well enough to win. Elite athletes at high profile events all have tons of stuff going on. Even the ones not favoured to win.

Sakamoto herself did poorly at the GPF but it would be an affront to Mai’s win saying she only won because the others underperformed or were under considerable pressure.

Note that the top two at the Olympics were not immune themselves from the scandal. And they still had the mental fortitude to deliver exceptional free skates.

While feel for Kamila it’s a big eye roll for me when people are like “the only reason they lost was because of XYZ… it wasn’t typical… it wasn’t a fair fight, etc etc etc” because it trivializes other skaters who actually rose to the occasion. I’m not equating it to what Kamila had to deal with but let’s not pretend that all skaters are immune from pressure - at the Olympics no less - and they also face injuries or obstacles that might not have been as broadcasted.