United-States
Relieved and happy teammates

1711213525464.jpeg

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes. I just want to mention the following about Amber:

1) She is great for Women’s skating because to me, the women need to start going for ultra-c jumps. Her 3A is amazing. The only fully rotated ultra-c jump of the event.

2) I wish she had gone for the 3A in the short program. She is more consistent on this jump than the 3Lo. Next year, she should just go all out. With her layout and artistry, she should be 80+ with a clean skate and I trust her in the SP more than FS.

3) Amber almost cost the Americans the three spots again… she was lucky this event was less competitive this year. Also, I’m still bitter Ava wasn’t sent to Worlds (Minsol for Juniors) 😡😡😡
Her second half is always a disaster once she goes for that 3Lz. I don’t understand why she doesn’t try to make changes to this portion of the program. She never attempts the triple combo. Like, at least try to go for the 2A 2A sequence to fight for more points.
I'm sure someone from the US will be able to confirm, but I believe that the US selection criteria give automatic selection to the US champion if eligible. If so, sending Ava would have meant Isabeau Levito couldn't go.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes. I just want to mention the following about Amber:

1) She is great for Women’s skating because to me, the women need to start going for ultra-c jumps. Her 3A is amazing. The only fully rotated ultra-c jump of the event.

2) I wish she had gone for the 3A in the short program. She is more consistent on this jump than the 3Lo. Next year, she should just go all out. With her layout and artistry, she should be 80+ with a clean skate and I trust her in the SP more than FS.

3) Amber almost cost the Americans the three spots again… she was lucky this event was less competitive this year. Also, I’m still bitter Ava wasn’t sent to Worlds (Minsol for Juniors) 😡😡😡
Her second half is always a disaster once she goes for that 3Lz. I don’t understand why she doesn’t try to make changes to this portion of the program. She never attempts the triple combo. Like, at least try to go for the 2A 2A sequence to fight for more points.
If Ava wants to get to the big dance then she needs to show up at Nationals and beat people her decision to go to 4CC instead was a :scratch2:.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm sure someone from the US will be able to confirm, but I believe that the US selection criteria give automatic selection to the US champion if eligible. If so, sending Ava would have meant Isabeau Levito couldn't go.
Josephine should have won Nationals 😜 with Amber placing second and then Ava would have been sent to Worlds.

DLong

Rinkside
Josephine should have won Nationals 😜 with Amber placing second and then Ava would have been sent to Worlds.
I like Ava, but she wouldn't have won, and I doubt that she would have been second. Even if she repeated her standing at Four Continents she would have been fourth, and we would only have two spots for next year. I don't understand why you think she would be better then Isabeau's performance last night. Isabeau was beautiful. She skated wonderfully. She makes me feel something that many other lady skaters don't. A good example is Chaeyeon. She did her jumps with zero emotion. She could have been skating to anything. She had the same expression on her face during her program. Isabeau was mesmerizing. Even after Kaori skated so well Isabeau skated to win which couldn't have be easy after Kaori's skate. Isabeau came through last year and this year. If Kaori ever opens the door wide, I feel very confident that Isabeau will be the skater from the USA to skate through it!! :sneaky:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I like Ava, but she wouldn't have won, and I doubt that she would have been second. Even if she repeated her standing at Four Continents she would have been fourth, and we would only have two spots for next year. I don't understand why you think she would be better then Isabeau's performance last night. Isabeau was beautiful. She skated wonderfully. She makes me feel something that many other lady skaters don't. A good example is Chaeyeon. She did her jumps with zero emotion. She could have been skating to anything. She had the same expression on her face during her program. Isabeau was mesmerizing. Even after Kaori skated so well Isabeau skated to win which couldn't have be easy after Kaori's skate. Isabeau came through last year and this year. If Kaori ever opens the door wide, I feel very confident that Isabeau will be the skater from the USA to skate through it!! :sneaky:
Isabeau is a fantastic artistic skater.
It was clear to me that Isabeau and Ava should have been sent to Worlds. Ava instead of Amber.

But, they really do love Amber in USA. They gave her a 210 score at Nationals when her score really shouldn’t have crossed 200. I’m glad the international judges had eyes 👀

withwings

On the Ice
Oh, Skating91.... have you actually ever allowed yourself to enjoy the beauty of figure skating?

Each and everyone of skaters does their very best and to the capacity they are able to in their particular given circumstances. A real story of their pain and struggle not always is on the display. To endlessly police judging...and to bring the video clips of so called "proofs"... Is not it better to enjoy some beautiful moment and appreciate it?
Perhaps you may bring your endless judging complains to the judging panel or become one of them instead.

Last edited:

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I admire your enthusiasm for your skater. That's for sure.
Personal preference/taste is something that cannot be argued or be up for debate.

Personally I think she was incredibly over scored and the Korean skater who was given the bronze medal, under scored, even though I'm not a fan of Korea, but feel that for this competition, this skater deserved more for what she offered.
But again, I'm not one of the judges and the above is just a personal opinion.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
We were expecting the pairs to be the least exciting event, but it was women. We didn't have a chance to see the short, but the free was muted. I was glad for the chance to see Josephine, but in the warm up she was much more interesting because in competition it was clear how jumping passes detract from the holistic impression of the program.

I thought Amber was going to have a triumphant skate, but she repeated the Skate Americs fiasco almost move for move, with the difference that it was even less clear as to why. She looked full of energy and ready, and those jump fails looked totally out of nowhere.

In the hindsight, I feel Gubanova was underappreciated but I was glad she had a clean program. We didn't expect her to be in the 20th when we made it to Montreal. Heh.

This was second time I saw Levito live, and I liked her for more than the first time.

Really wanted to see C. Kim, and she didn't dissapoint either, but wasn't as fun as I expected, and tbh, Yoshida should have podiums instead. I saw in the protocols that she was dinged for everything under the sun, but next to lackluster everyone else...she was simply the better option imo.

I am getting tired of Hedndrixx doing the same thing, and Pinzaronne didn't deliver here.

I saw Sakamoto before and she was pretty much unchanged. I love this program for her, but for a winning skate, I kinda want something as powerful as Malinin's win in men. So, yeah, we thought women were boring.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
and forgot to mention

WOW at Amber's 3a and 3f-3t.... If only the program had kept going that well. She is too good to keep melting down in the second half. It was very very heartbreaking to watch.
It is heartbreaking to watch live. And I have pics with her going back to 2013. The mistakes at Nats would have about killed me but she won in the end there. I missed nats and worlds live....one of those glad sad things.....its exhausting just to watch at home!

Janice4th

On the Ice
Isabeau Levito Skating after Kaori could have been disastrous. She kept her composure and delivered her best LP of the season. Bravo ! Another darker program. She is very clean with everything she does. And at this point, I am warming up to her as a competitor. I will never like her jumps and I hope she doesn't get injured because of all that jerking and bending... but you know, this is NOT her fault. It's the technique she was taught. So I am done blaming her for her jumping ( I am not saying I will stop complaining about the jumps, just saying that I recognize that this came from her coaches. She cannot learn was she hasn't been taught! )
First, thank you for sharing your notes on the competition. It’s fun to hear a different viewpoint on the skaters, especially when they are at the arena.

I imagine her team has been working with her to increase her power. Skaters usually ask for feedback from the judges, and I am pretty sure that USFS provides feedback at Champs Camp.

When people talk about her bad technique on the jumps, I wonder if it’s too late to correct? This is her muscle memory. Time will tell, I suppose.