Sandhu The New Gpf Champ Of 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sandhu The New Gpf Champ Of 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gracefulswan

On the Ice
Re: Re: more about combo's

Mathman said:
Icestar, OK, now I am officially impressed out of my mind. Can you really do a quad and a triple Axel combo? Are you a famous skater in disguise?

Anyway, welcome to Golden Skate. I hope you like it here, and I look forward to your posts.

Mathman

yea... i'm thinking the same thing:confused:

Smiley0884

Rinkside
windspirit said:
Oh please. Practically every skater does just what they have to do to beat their closest competition (and not, for instance, three times as that). And I think it's especially wise in Plushenko case, since he's skating injured. As for your comment "if Plushy was so great" -- he is great. He's proved that countless times. The loss of that competition doesn't take anything from his 'greatness'. Emanuel, on the other hand, still has to prove himself (I'm talking about his consistency mostly). There are many very talented skaters, and that's why to be really great you have to be consistent.

What I think Eman's fans should cherish most in this case, is the fact that he skated two programs back to back without mistakes in a big competition. If that's a glimpse of the future, more power to Eman. I have absolutely no problem with enjoying someone's well deserved success, my favorite skater or not.

No one is unbeatable. I don't see anything to be scared about here. I'd love if Eman got more consistent, because that would push Plushenko, and other skaters, to be even more good. Keep them on their toes, so to speak, and don't let them slack off. And that, I think, would be most gratifying to most figure skating fans.

I do want other skaters to really challenge my favorites. That way if my favorite wins, it's even more enjoyable, because they managed to win over people who were as good. If they lose, it's not as painful as if they lost to someone who just had a really lucky day, while they had a really bad one.

Congratulations to Eman! Keep up the good work. :)

:rolleye: Yes, if Plushy was as great as everyone touts him to be he would have beaten Sandhu by a mile, even with the mistake, I'm not saying he isn't great, just not so great. But I guess some people like to pick and choose what they read :rolleye: Give me break if the Plush fans weren't worried why is there like 10 page threads at almost every skating board discussing this matter. Emanuel is going to be a threat to Plushy, he and his fans better get used to it. But I think Plush and Mishin may have saw it coming eventually, that's why they were taping him. ;)

After seeing him at Campbells and watching the Skate Canada, I hinted at Plush being vulnerable and questioned if a more lyrical skater (like Abt, Sandhu, Buttle, Lambiel) might just win over him.

However, he is a super jumper and he has excellent stroking, but the spins could use some improving. For me he is a great competitor but I do think he is vulnerable.

There is too, the knee problem, and having had knee problems muself, I can sympathize with him and understand that may be his recent less than perfect skates.

I am looking forward to Emanuel's skate on TV.

Joe

windspirit

On the Ice
Smiley0884 said:
:rolleye: Yes, if Plushy was as great as everyone touts him to be he would have beaten Sandhu by a mile, even with the mistake
LOL. Well, if you want to play this game, "If Eman was so great as everyone touts him to be, he would have beaten everybody even when falling on all his jumps." OK, so I played one time. I hope you'll forgive me if I won't play anymore, but I find this game to be utterly senseless.

Give me break if the Plush fans weren't worried why is there like 10 page threads at almost every skating board discussing this matter.
From what I've seen (I read two or three of those threads), I thought that was Eman's fans rejoicing. Beside that, quite a few people used that opportunity to bash Plush, which doesn't really surprise me, as it's somewhat natural that many people go for a kill when someone's vulnerable. It's an instinctual behavior, and as such it doesn't bother me.

Emanuel is going to be a threat to Plushy, he and his fans better get used to it.
I don't know about you, but I've known from the start that no one's unbeatable, and Eman's win hasn't really changed anything. I don't hold it against him; I'm happy for him. I already wrote all that in my first post, so between us both, I think it's you, who "like to pick and choose what you read." You won't manage to get me into the "my skater is better than your skater" quarrel, trust me. I have nothing bad to say about Eman's skating, and no matter what you say about Plush's, I'll still rely on my own eyes, and his long record of success.

ETA: As for Eman being a threat to Plushy, if he wins over him, say, two more times, I'll believe it. What the hell, make that one more time. And it has nothing to do with Plush being unbeatable, but all with Eman's consistency. I've already believed Plush's beatable, but I'm yet to believe in Eman's consistency. And on more general note: it's interesting how Cohen can be consistent for a year and a half, and when she bombs one time at a cheesefest, many immediately dismiss that year and a half as if they never happened. Here, Eman wins one time, and suddenly many people have absolutely no doubt he's going to skate like that from now on. Well, faith is certainly a powerful thing. As I already said, I would love to see Eman become consistent. That would make everything much more interesting. But I think I'll wait until it actually happens before I announce it as truth.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I just heard the news via my sister. I did not see the competition. Wow! Way to go Sandhu!

I have noticed some jabs at Canada in these posts - replay of the Olympics - I guess that old "bone of contention" just keeps getting regurgitated.

Who cares? Sandhu could have been from Mars - he had a great skate. He showed us what he is capable of. Plushenko is not a machine nor is he undefeatable. No skater is. That is the nature of the sport.

I am sure if it had been Weiss or Goebel you folks would be "shouting from the roof tops." So be gracious and let Sandhu enjoy the moment - he earned it.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Lad, I think most people are happy for Eman. I mean, how can you not be stunned by such an upset!

The original discussion on whether or not the result was correct was more of a discussion on changes that should be made to CoP. This is not saying that Plush was robbed -- it's a legitimate discussion. Also, the discussion stayed on topic only for about the first 3 pages; it kind of disintegrated after that.

curious

Final Flight
windspirit said:
LOL. Well, if you want to play this game, "If Eman was so great as everyone touts him to be, he would have beaten everybody even when falling on all his jumps." OK, so I played one time. I hope you'll forgive me if I won't play anymore, but I find this game to be utterly senseless.

From what I've seen (I read two or three of those threads), I thought that was Eman's fans rejoicing. Beside that, quite a few people used that opportunity to bash Plush, which doesn't really surprise me, as it's somewhat natural that many people go for a kill when someone's vulnerable. It's an instinctual behavior, and as such it doesn't bother me.

I don't know about you, but I've known from the start that no one's unbeatable, and Eman's win hasn't really changed anything. I don't hold it against him; I'm happy for him. I already wrote all that in my first post, so between us both, I think it's you, who "like to pick and choose what you read." You won't manage to get me into the "my skater is better than your skater" quarrel, trust me. I have nothing bad to say about Eman's skating, and no matter what you say about Plush's, I'll still rely on my own eyes, and his long record of success.

ETA: As for Eman being a threat to Plushy, if he wins over him, say, two more times, I'll believe it. What the hell, make that one more time. And it has nothing to do with Plush being unbeatable, but all with Eman's consistency. I've already believed Plush's beatable, but I'm yet to believe in Eman's consistency. And on more general note: it's interesting how Cohen can be consistent for a year and a half, and when she bombs one time at a cheesefest, many immediately dismiss that year and a half as if they never happened. Here, Eman wins one time, and suddenly many people have absolutely no doubt he's going to skate like that from now on. Well, faith is certainly a powerful thing. As I already said, I would love to see Eman become consistent. That would make everything much more interesting. But I think I'll wait until it actually happens before I announce it as truth.

We need a check reality here. Eman will never be the consistent skater Pushenko(noone is) is that's a fact not delusion. Eman had a great skate,but if Plushy would not have made that extra combo he would have won that's the truth. I'm sure Eman fans would have a diffrent opinion if things were the other way around. :D

curious said:
We need a check reality here. Eman will never be the consistent skater Pushenko(noone is) is that's a fact not delusion. Eman had a great skate,but if Plushy would not have made that extra combo he would have won that's the truth. I'm sure Eman fans would have a diffrent opinion if things were the other way around. :D

And no one will ever beat Mohammed Ali in Boxing but they did, and that's the way it goes in SPORTS.

On praise of his 'Body of Work' , I just may put Evgeni up there with Dick, Peggy, the Protopopovs, and Torvahl and Dean in due course, and maybe Sandhu, too. but that takes a while to decide.

Joe

Smiley0884

Rinkside
curious said:

I think you're the deluded one. Plush isn't all that consistent he has yet to put to clean programs together this season, but it's not like anyone else really has though.

Smiley0884

Rinkside
windspirit said:

Don't flatter yourself :rolleye:

Give me a break, you claim that I'm the one "picking and choosing" yet you say that these threads consist of Eman's fans rejoicing. I don't know what dream world you're living in, but the Plush fans started wuzrobbing the minute the results came up. Reality check.

alina

Rinkside
Eman was first and that was great for him.
Somebody said "reality check"- ok:
the fact is: it´s a difference of 3.10 points between Sandhu and Plushenko and that is the result of Plushenko´s breaking the rules with his 3.combination. If he did only the 3A he would have won and that cannot be denied .
And therefore I think Plushenko has beaten himself and was not beaten by Sandhu.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
curious said:
If this would have happen to Timmy or Sasha people would not be as happy as they are here:D

not nessecerily... I'm not a fan of Sasha... and I would be surprised if Tim won just because of the problems he's had all year

If it were Mike Weiss instead of Eman I'd be doing the same thing as Sandhu's fans are doing here... I'd literally be out of my skin jumping up and down with delight! :D

Kasey

Medalist
ARGHHH!

I think it's a shame, that threads like this can so easily be turned into "Us vs. Them" mentality. First the snide comments about Canada's involvement with the CoP, and "how ironic that Sandhu is Canadian". Then, the inevitable slams of Sandhu vs. Plush.

YES, there are multiple threads here about Sandhu's win....A HUGE upset, a HUGELY unexpected outcome such as this WILL create multiple threads. It isn't "gloating". It's happiness, surprise, and congratulatory toward Eman for managing to put together back to back pretty clean programs (See, I am not deluded, i know some of his jump landings in the free skate were "oopsies").

Oh yes, and had this occurred to Sasha Cohen (oh, wait, it did, SHE didn't win gold at GPF either!), I would be equally excited, to see an underdog pop up and win over the heavy favorite. Same goes for Goebel (who I couldn't see as being heavily favored in this even anyway, even if he had been here, no one would have been other than Plush). So that little comment was just a very opinionated Plush fan being snarky.

NO, Sandhu of course can not be considered NEAR as consistant as Plush. NO ONE is even saying that right now, are they?? Geeze, get a life on THAT one! BUT.....that is not to say that he will "never" be thought of as consistant as Plush, sometime in the future. To say that you know that will never happen, that's just being arrogant and obnoxious. NO ONE knows what we will be thinking 5 years from now. Supposing this is a total "change of life" for Sandhu, and he consistantly wins international competitions for the next 2 or 3 years, culminating in the Oly gold? We certainly would be thinking differently of him then, wouldn't we? (And no, I am not just on a Sandhu bandwagon. Suppose Van Der Perren, Lambiel, Goebel, Weiss, Buttle, Honda, ANYONE puts together a run like Plush has had over his career, like Yags had prior to turning pro? Of course thoughts of that person's consistancy would NOT be an issue, should that happen).

I think it's a shame that a HUGE upset, a HUGE surprise occurred (whether due to "technicality" or not, that is sports life....wrong calls are made in football, baseball, other sports, and people just live with it), and the joy of certain fans is misinterpreted, and that is used as an excuse to take offense at them and the skater who accomplished this. Sandhu WON....whether you feel he should have or not. In the past, Plush has WON, whether you feel he should have or not. So has every other skater on the international scene at some time or another (or WILL, if they are still new on the scene). That's the reality....if there are people who don't like it, they will have to suck it up, just like everyone else has had to do at times.

Kasey

Matt

On the Ice
Yay for Sandhu! The man's been plagued by inconsistency, nearly quit the sport a couple of years ago, and now has a huge confidence boost from the GPF. GO EMAN!!!

Also, I don't mean to get on a soapbox (but some of you have in the other threads :p ), but I have a few words for those who accuse skaters of "milking" the CoP. SINCE WHEN IS "KING QUAD" THE ONLY THING WE REWARD IN THIS SPORT???. I happen to like the CoP because it rewards skaters for landing their triple jumps and having artistry, as opposed to some of these plastic, unartistic programs that we reward solely because they have 3 quad in them. There is something to be said for a clean program with 7 triples and that relates the character of the music that a program with a quad where the music is only there to keep the audience's attention while the skater moves in circles. There are more things in heaven and earth, and figure skating, than seeing how many times one can turn in the air. This sport is know for its greater displays of aritstry, and we'd do best to remember that.

bleuchick

On the Ice
Matt said:
Yay for Sandhu! The man's been plagued by inconsistency, nearly quit the sport a couple of years ago, and now has a huge confidence boost from the GPF. GO EMAN!!!

Also, I don't mean to get on a soapbox (but some of you have in the other threads :p ), but I have a few words for those who accuse skaters of "milking" the CoP. SINCE WHEN IS "KING QUAD" THE ONLY THING WE REWARD IN THIS SPORT???. I happen to like the CoP because it rewards skaters for landing their triple jumps and having artistry, as opposed to some of these plastic, unartistic programs that we reward solely because they have 3 quad in them. There is something to be said for a clean program with 7 triples and that relates the character of the music that a program with a quad where the music is only there to keep the audience's attention while the skater moves in circles. There are more things in heaven and earth, and figure skating, than seeing how many times one can turn in the air. This sport is know for its greater displays of aritstry, and we'd do best to remember that.

ITA and Good day Matt. You have said what I have always wanted to say for the longest time.

Just to add on to your post:

talk about variety in music, choreography and style. Ever wonder why we don't have a current Toller Cranston or John Curry? what is it about the old 6.0 system that left us with no Curry or Craston? Surely, something is missing and it aint nothing to do with nationality. ..

Hopefully, this is the begining of something new in the top teams across board. I may not be a fan of Sandhu but I admire him for sticking to his own style. Same with Buttle. I hope they do to mens skating what S&P did in pairs - that is bring forth something new while still staying true to their style. One does not have to like the above skaters but appreciate what they bring forth to skating. We desperately need variety in music, choreography and style across all disciplines.

Personally, I am looking forward to the mens field with Buttle, Sandhu, Pluschenko, Song, Honda, Weiss and Goebel. I hope all push themselves above and beyond what they have been doing in the last several years.

So yeah, welcome Buttle and Sandhu. I say it bring on and let the game being in mens skating!

Last edited:

Angela V

Rinkside
Sandhu's Win

Hi.
New to the forum. So forgive me for my late scream of joy over Sandhu winning at the Grand Prix Finale! Of course I'm not too sure which smiley face is a "scream".

Because of the weird lack of the Grand Prix on CTV (why did they only did Skate Canada?!?! this year) I totally missed it's boardcast at the end of December! didn't even know that CBC aired it.

I have been waiting for Sandhu to have a big win. I hope this helps his performance in the future. I wish had seen him win the gold :(