Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
According to FSU, their FD will be to Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd, Sign of the times by Harry Styles and SD to Libertango and something else. Source was Pirouette magazine (German language).

Thanks for the info!!
I was very curious since Sara published in Instagram a picture with the coreographer they've been working with for their FD. He's spanish, but far, far away from Najarro and spanish dance: Iker Carrera. I can´t say I love the music for their FD but I like the bold move, new season, new style while still trying to make a stand looking for spanish inspiration. We'll see how it pays off.

Modern tango for their SD it's, probably, a good idea too. As much as I like the classical ones, their lyrics are usually so sad and pesimistic that I'm not sure if I can stand hours of competition listening small pieces of dark visions of the world. :rolleye:

I can´t wait to see those programs!!

Tex

On the Ice
Mixing Floyds with Harry Styles is a no

That’s interesting because I think both songs mesh well together not only because the lyrics in each song deal with mortality and the ending of life, but they both have this cosmic-melancholy musical style. You can hear inspirations of “Great Gig in the Sky” in Harry Styles’s “Sign of the Times.” I’m uber excited to see this program that I even watched Virtue & Moir’s FD and Delobel & Schoenfelder’s FD’s to “Great Gig in the Sky” to prepare for the season. Sara and Kirill in such a short time have built such a diverse portfolio of programs.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to FSU, their FD will be to Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd, Sign of the times by Harry Styles and SD to Libertango and something else. Source was Pirouette magazine (German language).

This is now confirmed per Goldenskate article:

The dancers enjoy the Tango Romantica pattern dance in this year’s Rhythm dance and feel it suits them well. For the music, they picked “Libertango” by Astor Piazzolla.

“We have the classical Libertango, but in an interesting arrangement,” Khaliavin revealed. “It won’t be just one rhythm as usual, but it will be in two parts. One is softer and the other part is faster. It is very interesting and the elements should go well with it. I think it will be really cool.”

The dancers chose the music themselves. “We were listening to a few pieces,” Hurtado explained. “We found a really cool vocal (interpretation) of “Libertango” and I said, ‘everyone knows this melody, so let’s do it in a different way.’ It’s not the Yo Yo Ma “Libertango” that everyone knows. Also, the fast part is with classical guitar and sounds Spanish.”

For the free dance they picked “Great Gig in the Sky” by Pink Floyd and “Sign of the Times” by Harry Styles. The goal was to do something very different from last year’s Don Quixote free dance.

“We wanted to do that, because it helps you to grow to try other styles,” noted Hurtado. “It’s so refreshing. You learned to move like this, now let’s learn to move in a different way. It is a kind of soft rock, lyrical rock. That is also a way of capturing the young people. It’s a very fresh song and we mix it with an old one. We didn’t want to do the typical tribute to Pink Floyd or just a tribute to this Harry Styles song.”

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Seeing Sara and Kirill in the GS article announcements made my day :luv17:

Espoo is in October, there is still much to see them compete (counting the days)

:hap10:

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
And here we have a piece of choreo, on and off the ice, of their new FD.
In Sara's words: "The creative process... Electric combination between the uncertainty of not knowing what will come out and the certainty that, at the end of the process, you will not be the same.💫 Special #TBT to creating our FD with @krera 💎💃.
5, 6, 7, 8 ...
From inside out, from the ground to the ice"

This is going to be a long wait…

crankyintheAM

On the Ice
I love that song. I've loved it since the first time I heard it on the radio and was shocked that it was by 'that guy from that boyband'
I'm very curious and pretty excited about Sara and Kirill skating to it, specially because they seem to have gone for a modern choreography/choreographer.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
I was dreaming with a season with lots of international competitions, with more skating and less drama...
And I thought we were finally there, they still have the spot at worlds to fight for, but enough room for both teams to grow and evolve at their own rhythm.
And now this, 3 duels in a season!! Really? :drama:

Let's see how much we have learnt from past seasons...

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
I was dreaming with a season with lots of international competitions, with more skating and less drama...
And I thought we were finally there, they still have the spot at worlds to fight for, but enough room for both teams to grow and evolve at their own rhythm.
And now this, 3 duels in a season!! Really? :drama:
Let's see how much we have learnt from past seasons...

Senor Olibritt, since you are from Spain you should have assumed that the Spanish fed would like to have something like ice-dancing "corrida". :laugh:
By the way, have the RFEDH announced the selection criteriae for the only world's spot? How it would be obtained by any team?

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Senor Olibritt, since you are from Spain you should have assumed that the Spanish fed would like to have something like ice-dancing "corrida". :laugh:
By the way, have the RFEDH announced the selection criteriae for the only world's spot? How it would be obtained by any team?

Your bullfighting reference is interesting* but I prefer to keep in mind the image of an ice dance duel, Iñigo Montoya style... :laugh:

As far as I know, there’s no news from Spanish FED, we still don´t know how they’re going to select the team for worlds. My vote (if a had one :rofl2:) goes for Euros as the only criterion.

I don´t know if the fact that both teams are going to Finland has something to do with Spanish FED, probably not, last year H&K went there and some Gadbois teams were there too. No one goes to Finland to compete but I would prefer if they had chose different places to test their programs, under different panels, at least at this moment. A face to face in the pre-season is useless. The thing is, internal competition in the top levels is new for spanish skaters and they and S.FED (and we as fans) need to learn how to do it without the drama of last seasons. Two seasons ago, Spanish FED had some problems managing the situation; last season, at some point, I had the feeling that that legendary Canadian-Russian ice skating rivalry added fuel to the drama of deciding the spanish olympian spot. If we can avoid all that this season, I'll be happy, or at least, I would enjoy more my favorite teams :biggrin:.

*If you speak Spanish, excuse me for the explanation but, at least, everybody can get the joke. Your use of “corrida” as “bullfight” is perfect, but only the minority interested in bullfighting use it that way. For the rest of us, that expression has a very different meaning... let’s say that, some people in twitter, after watching FD’s Olympic champions, thought it was a canadian thing. :laugh:

And if you are curious, in my case, it would be “señorita” or “señora Olibritt” but I wouldn´t recommend any of them, the first one alludes to a woman’s non-married status (I hate that) and, the second one makes everybody feel old...

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
As far as I know, there’s no news from Spanish FED, we still don´t know how they’re going to select the team for worlds. My vote (if a had one :rofl2:) goes for Euros as the only criterion.

True, until a year ago, for Europeans, it was defined by accumulation of scores between Zagreb and Nationals, but now there are already two places for Europeans :cool14: so I agree that the result of this event could define who goes to Worlds, meanwhile, finally we will see the programs of Sara and Kirill this week :yahoo:

Tex

On the Ice
Good season opener from Kirill and Sara.

Here’s their FD:
https://youtu.be/FDK-3FwBaac

Sara’s pearly pink dress with the velvet cut-outs for the FD is gorgeous. I like the fabric for the RD dress, but I’m not so sure about the cut of it. Is it just me being picky, but did anyone else feel like Kirill’s costumes seemed disjointed from Sara’s?

Program wise, I really liked both of them. For the tango, I feel like they can turn it up a notch with the performance and connection to get more of the tango emotions and feel. The FD music cuts to me need a smoother transition. Overall, this is a good start for this early in the season.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
I agree with you Tex, a good start.

The RD has room to improve and the costumes don´t look well fitted.

About the FD, I have mixed feelings. I love the costumes, I like the music more that I thought I would (except for that piano piece :scratch2:) and I like some parts of the choreo but I get lost at times.

Now that the mistery of their programs is unveiled, let's see them grow!!

Hielo Español published a sort interview with Sara a few days ago. No new info, apart from the fact that the official surename of Kirill is now Jalyavin (since he has spanish Passport, the spelling in latin alphabet is done according to spanish phonetics). Good to know but I'm not sure that the new spelling is going to be very popular :laugh:

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
As far as costumes are concerned I like Sara's dresses, but Kirill's trousers seem short to me and I have a feeling that they are the same for both programs. :shrug:
I hope their dances will be polished during the the season till goosebumps for us and something like this for others: :jaw:
Actually I expected changing the spelling of Kirill's surname in spanish way already at Lombardia Trophy, but there it was still Russian. :) It depends on Spanish fed if his new spelling going to be popular or not. Maybe the fed should provide some paper to the ISU. :scratch2:
Olibritt, thank you for the interview. I like that the guys are goig to fight in the Grand Prix events. :laugh:

Tex

On the Ice
Not sure why they picked the music Vladimir’s Blues (by Max Richter) for that brief piano interlude in the FD. It’s a pretty piece of music, but it doesn’t fit with either two songs. Side note, the composer wrote this piece in reference to the author Vladimir Nabokov who had an interest in entomology particularly butterflies like the Karner blue. Based on the two songs they chose “Sign of the Times” and “Great Gig in the Sky”, I figured their FD is about mortality. After watching their FD at least a dozen times, I thought maybe they should scrap the first two songs and pair Kate Bush’s “ A Woman’s Work” with a “Sign of the times” and make it about a couple dealing with the wife’s mortality from her point in one song and then his point in the other song. Harry Styles has said “Sign of the Times” is about mother who just had baby and finds out she only has a few minutes before her death. “A Woman’s Work” was written for the movie “She’s having a Baby” for the part when husband finds out the lives of his wife and new baby are in danger. Like I said I like the current FD, but it’s disjointed and missing something. Here’s a clip of “A Woman’s Work” in the movie “She’s having a Baby.” https://youtu.be/9MZWrEfB_VM

Also, I wish the would bring back the straight line lift from their “Two Men in Love” program and use it in this FD. Once in the final position of the lift, Sara could look up to the heavens to fit with this song. Also, the curved lift which was only a level 3 needs a little oomph.

Also, I have a theory about the high water pants Kirill wore. He forgot his or the airport lost them, and he had to borrow someone else’s pants whose was obviously shorter than him:) I’d like him to try a navy colored costume/suit to compliment Sara’s pink dress in FD.

Tex

On the Ice
Forgot to mention I LOVE the choreographed lift and spin at the end of the FD.

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Both programs seemed beautiful and with a lot of growth potential :love:
The combination of the music of the FD was better than I expected, I perceived the drama and intensity, excellent start to the season for Sara and Kirill :yahoo: (there are videos in Instagram of their previous practices, some quite funny)