Satoko Miyahara announced her retirement | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara announced her retirement

brakes

On the Ice
Japan's Olympic figure skater Miyahara Satoko announced her retirement on Saturday (26 March) - the day she turned 24.

"As it is my birthday, I decided to announce an important report", Miyahara said via her Instagram account.
"Since (the) last Nationals (in December), I had been thinking a lot about my career. I dedicated all of my power and mentality (especially this year) through figure skating. Last year I ended competing (at the) Nationals with huge fulfillment. Therefore I decided to retire from competing. I have no regrets. And, I have a lot of dreams for my next step."

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I have already commented on Satoko's retirement in other threads, but best of luck to her, and I am impressed by her English. Not many Japanese skaters actively post in it, AFAIK. And Satoko's is very good.

brakes

On the Ice
Congrats to great Japanese skater and warrior for a long, successful career! :bow::clap:

Impressive how she competed (often successfully) with several "generations" of Russian skaters: Yulia, Evgenya, Alina, Anna, Sasha, Daria and Maia. Had ambivalent feelings about her skating as I liked her artistic performance a lot and disliked her jumps a lot as well, but had always great respect for her.
Long career of 9 seasons in senior figure skating have come to an end, good luck in the future, Satoko! :cheer2:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
One of my favorites - I will miss her elegance and impeccable artistry - also so many beautiful dresses! Best wishes to her in her future endeavors - thanks you Satoko for all the beautiful skating!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aww, sad news but not too surprising. Satoko has consistently been one of my favorites to watch the past decade due to her artistry. Wishing her the best moving forward and jealous of the lucky Canadians who will get to see her on the SOI tour!

lizardlass

On the Ice
I was so sad to hear this. She is a beautiful skater, with such exquisite attention to detail. I loved her interpretation and musicality. She is such a hard worker, practicing until the zamboni arrives. (I saw this in person a few years ago, lol.) I'll miss the Tiny Queen!

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I'm sorry to hear that Satoko is retiring, but she has had a long, successful career and should be proud of what she achieved. She is the definition of refinement. Every movement in her programs was always beautifully choreographed and performed, and she's one of the best spinners in the field. I just wish that she had been able to maintain her natural jumping direction. If so, I'm sure that she could have been even more successful than she was.

cake

On the Ice
I will miss her a lot. My best wishes for her future. Posters before have already mentioned her qualities. Her spins are one reason I´m mad you can earn much less GOE on excellent spins than on excellent jumps.
And she had such elegant costumes most of the times.

reneerose

Final Flight
Awww....am sad we won't get to see more of her in competition. But appreciated what she did give us before retirement. Beautiful skater! All the best to her!

Fireplace7890

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm one of many who will miss her. I saw her in person for the first time at Skate America last fall and she was one of the highlights of the event. I wish her well in whatever she ends up doing, hopefully she'll still be involved with skating in some form because she has much to give.