Savchenko caught glandular fever | Golden Skate

Savchenko caught glandular fever

ingwer

Rinkside
A finnish broadcaster reported (AFP as a source) that Aliona Savchenko has caught glandular fever (not sure about the translation). It has kept her off from training so much that they might miss the Europeans.
Hopefully it won't affect their Olympic preparation too much.

schiele

Final Flight
A finnish broadcaster reported (AFP as a source) that Aliona Savchenko has caught glandular fever (not sure about the translation). It has kept her off from training so much that they might miss the Europeans.
Hopefully it won't affect their Olympic preparation too much.

I think they are talking about mono (more commonly known as kissing disease). At least that's what I heard. If it is indeed mono, as someone who has experienced it, I can tell you it's not pleasent. You have 0 energy and can barely get out of bed and you keep losing weight. I lost about 4.5 kilos in 1.5 months and was in bed the whole time. I really hope she has caught a lighter version of it.. The Europeans might be in question though.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think they are talking about mono (more commonly known as kissing disease). At least that's what I heard. If it is indeed mono, as someone who has experienced it, I can tell you it's not pleasent. You have 0 energy and can barely get out of bed and you keep losing weight. I lost about 4.5 kilos in 1.5 months and was in bed the whole time. I really hope she has caught a lighter version of it.. The Europeans might be in question though.
I had a very mild version of it - so much so that I wasn't aware anything was that wrong. A few years ago I had to do some extra blood tests, and afterward the doctor told me I'd already had mono at some point in my life. I guess one of the times I had a cold was actually more than that... Hopefully Aliona's experience will be more like mine than like yours!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear about Aliona's illness. Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, so sad! I was so looking forward to seeing them at Europeans. :frown::cry: Get better soon, lovely Aliona! Wishing you great health and strength to comeback at your best! :bow::yes:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Oh no! I hope she gets well very soon! As it is they will have a tough time with Shen/Zhao

Trewyn

Medalist
I had a very mild version of it - so much so that I wasn't aware anything was that wrong. A few years ago I had to do some extra blood tests, and afterward the doctor told me I'd already had mono at some point in my life. I guess one of the times I had a cold was actually more than that... Hopefully Aliona's experience will be more like mine than like yours!

Yep I had the same. There had been times in the past that I was fatigued all the time, so much that I considerend having my blood tested, but it always past before I got around making an appointment with the doctor; so yeah, there are lighter versions of it! It can also be bad and take ages to heal! It's a generally feared disease among students because if you get it, you may have 0 energy to study and can really just lose your year. I hope Aliona will feel better soon!

Fae

Rinkside
Argh! That's terrible news...

Glandular Fever/Mono/Infectious mononucleosis is usually a self-limiting illness but in a small percentage of people it can get pretty serious...Plus patients are usually advised to avoid doing anything overly strenuous or playing contact sports. (Yeah, pairs skating is not rugby per se but I think most of the pair elements kinda fall under the category of "contact" sports!)
And it sucks that the treatment is pretty much down to bed rest...and...TIME! Here's hoping she has the mild version of it...Get well soon Aliona!!!!

jcoates

Medalist
Gosh I hope she has only a mild version. Justine Henin contracted a very serious version in 2004 and it pretty much ruined that year for her as well as 2005. She still managed to win big titles, but not at the rate or with the consistency she had in 2003 or before. She missed months at a time from the tour. It took her really until 2006 to get fully healthy and after that she had really pace herself and her scheduling of events. Luckily skating comps are not a week to week type of thing most of the time. So Aliona might have more time to rest and recuperate before the Olympics. I would think she should skip Euros though so that she can ensure maximum fitness for Vancouver. I so want all the top pairs to be at their best in February. It could be a really amazing competition if they are.

Wicked

Final Flight
I hope Aliona will be okay. My best friend in high school had mono and missed 3 weeks of school and was literally too weak to walk down the stairs. But I've known others who've had it where it wasn't a big deal. Aliona may have to skip Euros if she's just come down with it.

N

n_halifax

Any word on how Aliona is doing? Europeans are fast approaching...

Tanja90

On the Ice
Any word on how Aliona is doing? Europeans are fast approaching...

Apparently everything seems ok..she did the exam to see what she really has and they discovered that she has a normal fever..so no mono or other..I heard that they did the exam for the epstainbar virus (is that how it is called?) but she didn't have it!so...we're gonna see her at europeans!

schiele

Final Flight
Apparently everything seems ok..she did the exam to see what she really has and they discovered that she has a normal fever..so no mono or other..I heard that they did the exam for the epstainbar virus (is that how it is called?) but she didn't have it!so...we're gonna see her at europeans!

Yes, that's how it should be called. I had it as well and of course it was positive.
So if she has no mono, then it's all good for team S&S and they can have a nice competition with S&Z and P&T at olympics. Yey! :thumbsup: