Savchenko returns to Chemnitz to coach | Golden Skate

Savchenko returns to Chemnitz to coach

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

She also announced in her instagram story
This development is intriguing. The article can be read in English. It doesn't give many details though. Just the fact that Alyona is returning to Chemnitz, Germany to coach with Robin Solkowy. Thus they have both returned to the roots of their beginnings as a pairs team.

The article mentions nothing about Ingo Steuer, yet it has been previously reported that Robin is working with Ingo and their young charges, including the talented young team Roscher/ Schuster, who made an impact on the GP in the Fall. R/S presented well as a promising young up-and-coming team with good basics, but still perfecting their elements and looking toward increasing their difficulty and defining their partnership. Only Robin accompanied them in the kiss 'n cry, so it appears that Ingo will largely remain behind-the-scenes.

I wonder whether Alyona reached out to Robin and Ingo with a desire to return to Germany and coach with them? The article doesn't provide specifics in that respect. It does indicate that Alyona had been in a contract with The Netherlands federation to head their coaching operation through 2024. With that in mind, this recent decision by Altona to return to her old stomping grounds to coach with former compadres, is even more interesting. Especially in light of the fact that she hadn't parted with either Robin or Ingo on the best of terms. And recently, both Bruno Massot and Alexa Knierim had expressed personal difficulties in working with Alyona.

Granted that Robin and Ingo weathered working with Alyona for about 10 years, achieving impactful and resounding successes. Bruno was ultimately successful with Alyona too, though apparently the sacrifices and tenure were difficult. The Knierims and Alyona parted ways fairly quickly. I think that split was more a reflection of Alyona's conflicted feelings about coaching, when she hadn't yet come to grips with her desire to continue competing herself.

Time will tell whether this reunion will bear positive fruit and lasting significance.

Ivana

On the Ice
So she lasted a year in the Netherlands...sad, but not surprising. Let's see how this one goes. After the whole TJ Nyman/Sappenfield saga, the statements from Bruno and Alexa Knierim, I wouldn't want my kid around her if I were a skating parent unless she drastically changes her attitude, no matter how many medals she's got.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If I read it correctly, she will be coaching with Robin Szolkowy. Presumably he knows what he is getting himself into. He may be able to guide her coaching, if he is senior to her.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I also hope that Robin, as a more seasoned coach, can help Aljona "chill".

Alexa said in a recent IG post (about Todd Sand):

When we left Aljona I lost all of my grit and self love. It was a difficult time for us. When Todd came to Illinois I would stop the programs mid way thru because I had anxiety and fear that was developed during my time in Europe.

Someone who can cause Alexa Knierim, the definition of grit and spark on the ice, to have such anxiety, really needs a reset of her coaching style. I hope she can do it.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ As I said earlier, my interpretation is that Alyona did not really want to coach in the beginning. Her head space was still about competing herself. Thus, that competitive streak and conflicting motivations about coaching came into play with the Knierims, unfortunately. Added to that, Alexa and Chris had sacrificed a lot in moving to Europe to train. They had to adjust to a different culture and living situation (missing their pets and their family). And above all, they had to adjust to someone who was a former competitor, just starting out as a coach.

I had a lot of hopes for them at the time, but I also wondered how it would work. It seemed to start out well, but in hindsight, it was a recipe for disaster, for more than one reason. Still, out of the ashes, the Knierims were lovingly rescued by ever steady, caring, kind, grounded, talented, and positive TeamToddandJenni! 👍💗 So, what Alexa and Chris went through was not completely in vain. They took risks that overall didn't weigh out, but they were ultimately able to overcome the downsides and to grow, with the help and encouragement of family, friends, and their new mentors in Irvine. Prayers for Todd's full recovery -- strength and comfort to all his loved ones, friends, supporters, and students. A special shout-out for strength to Alexa & Brandon as defending their World championship swiftly approaches. I understand now the steady source of strength, focus and positivity that Alexa & Brandon were able to take out onto the ice last year under extraordinary pressure circumstances, and still skate with such confidence and joy.

Anyway, in regard to Alyona, it is most likely her intense singleminded focus and probably a selfish streak that fueled her to 5 Olympics, 3 Olympic medals, 6 World championships, and I don't know how many German National championships, European medals, and GP/ GPF medals. Not to excuse any bad choices and behaviors. Still, some intense achievers are not easy to be around. Robin has apparently always had a chill, positive personality. Ingo can be very charming. I personally witnessed his charm when I met him years ago. But he's also been described as difficult and intense. So, above all, I wish the best for the skaters they are coaching, because they appear to have some promising teams on the rise.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Hm. Robin has the advantage of knowing her quite well, so I also think that as long as he stays there, it might be a successful arrangement for longer.

I looked a bit into German Press and other articles, some with the exact same text/wording and others put in different other information. I wanted to know for how long they plan this (e.g. next Oly) but could not find that info yet.

But one article also reflected on the situation in the Netherlands a bit:
There she was to head a new national figure skating training center in Heerenveen, scheduled to open in spring 2023. Savchenko's contract in the Netherlands originally ran until 2024.
(https://www.sport1.de/news/wintersport/2023/03/savchenko-kehrt-als-trainerin-nach-chemnitz-zuruck)

So does this mean they did not go further with those plans? Might explain why she could/wanted to get away?

What about the Crafoords now, does anyone know?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Alyona began in 2022, not 2023 in The Netherlands. They did go further with those plans. She even coached the two Dutch pair teams sporadically (although they also kept their own coaches) as well as the Swedish Crafoords in Heerenveen. I really wouldn't know what went wrong.

RobinA

On the Ice
^^ As I said earlier, my interpretation is that Alyona did not really want to coach in the beginning. Her head space was still about competing herself. Thus, that competitive streak and conflicting motivations about coaching came into play with the Knierims, unfortunately. Added to that, Alexa and Chris had sacrificed a lot in moving to Europe to train. They had to adjust to a different culture and living situation (missing their pets and their family). And above all, they had to adjust to someone who was a former competitor, just starting out as a coach.

I had a lot of hopes for them at the time, but I also wondered how it would work. It seemed to start out well, but in hindsight, it was a recipe for disaster, for more than one reason. Still, out of the ashes, the Knierims were lovingly rescued by ever steady, caring, kind, grounded, talented, and positive TeamToddandJenni! 👍💗 So, what Alexa and Chris went through was not completely in vain. They took risks that overall didn't weigh out, but they were ultimately able to overcome the downsides and to grow, with the help and encouragement of family, friends, and their new mentors in Irvine. Prayers for Todd's full recovery -- strength and comfort to all his loved ones, friends, supporters, and students. A special shout-out for strength to Alexa & Brandon as defending their World championship swiftly approaches. I understand now the steady source of strength, focus and positivity that Alexa & Brandon were able to take out onto the ice last year under extraordinary pressure circumstances, and still skate with such confidence and joy.

Anyway, in regard to Alyona, it is most likely her intense singleminded focus and probably a selfish streak that fueled her to 5 Olympics, 3 Olympic medals, 6 World championships, and I don't know how many German National championships, European medals, and GP/ GPF medals. Not to excuse any bad choices and behaviors. Still, some intense achievers are not easy to be around. Robin has apparently always had a chill, positive personality. Ingo can be very charming. I personally witnessed his charm when I met him years ago. But he's also been described as difficult and intense. So, above all, I wish the best for the skaters they are coaching, because they appear to have some promising teams on the rise.
Yes, winning competitions and coaching involve completely different skills.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The Dutch Federation gave out a statement this morning:

In summary:
The Federation says goodbye to Aljona Savchenko as National Coach. She will finish her tasks for the running season. The Federation wil start looking for someone to continue the work at the National Trainingscentre Figure Skating. She had a contract for two years, but decided to leave after one year (at the evaluative moment).The Technical Director says they are looking for a worthy successor.
Aljona herself says it was short but powerful, but it fitted her less than she thought. She is looking forward to a new challenge.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This article is behind a paywall and I haven't read it.
But it seems that Aljona didn't cope well with all the changes in the recent years. Do we know the status of her relationship to her husband? I hope that the move back to Germany will help her in her private life. She and her family could do with a little more stability imo.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Aliona is a very strong person and personality. Alexa is also a very strong person and personality - that can be very difficult to put such strong personalities together. These people get their way but when together only one will survive. I would hope Aliona would be respectful to Robyn but I doubt it. She will want to be his equal and then some from what I have seen. Even with Chris and Alexa there has been a lot of sacrifice as to where they live, work and such