Sensors on Skate Boots for GOE Purposes! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sensors on Skate Boots for GOE Purposes!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
You may not necessarily need to put chips on skating equipment at all. Properly placed and calibrated cameras + software analysis could do the job just as well, like the Hawk-Eye technology used in tennis, cricket and other sports.

It may actually be even simpler for figure skating, at least when it comes to detecting under-rotation: the software just needs to keep track of the tracing left by the skate blade during the course of a jump, and model it accordingly to determine whether a jump was rotated. All you'd need are enough cameras aimed at the surface of the ice connected to the proper software.

The real problem isn't technical feasibility, though. It's financial. It'd cost $$$ to create and implement such a system. And figure skating, these days, is in a bit of a financial crunch. Even though I don't think the whole thing would cost that much (you don't need special cameras or computer equipment), it's still an expense that hosts of a sport dwindling in popularity around the world can ill afford.

As I mentioned above, the technology for Craig Buntin's VeriSkate analytics for figure skating was video-based.

But last I checked (not very recently), VeriSkate seemed to have gone dormant -- whereas Craig's hockey analytics attracted major financial backing (e.g., from Mark Cuban).