Shoma Uno: "Good training is the drive" | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno: "Good training is the drive"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NHK Trophy Men's recap

Uno feels that his personality changes as he faces different challenges and goals, so doesn’t think of himself in terms of being a “perfectionist.” He also acknowledges that in the future, his techniques might “deteriorate” and will re-evaluate when that time comes.

“Figure skating has changed in the past years and I tend to aim for a higher ground,” he explained. “I always want to train and improve myself and that’s been the drive for me to continue to skate. That’s why I set the standards higher and higher and this year the bar has become much higher than last season. When you keep on setting a higher bar, along the way I realized, especially in the past two years, that it doesn’t always go well. It never does go as you plan.”

“Sometimes you make mistakes, sometimes you stumble,” he continued, “but you just have to need to continue to have that will to improve. But then the emotions and your physical state does not keep up with that and the gap becomes wider. That’s where you get really troubled and it’s hard to accept and digest. That’s one element of being a perfectionist. You aim to be higher and better and that’s what drove me to success at the Olympics and the World Championships. The good thing about it is, whenever I face figure skating in my definition, I have never lost that drive to improve myself.”

He talks about there will come a time in the future where he will have to think his position in the sport, but hopefully that is another three years away!

What were your thoughts on the men's event overall?