Shoma Uno | Page 1138 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Oh Shoma. That beautiful smile at the end says it all: I did my best but it just wasn't my day. And isn't he a real sportsman in enthousiastically applauding others? Yes I am sad that he didn't medal, but to me Shoma has nothing to prove. A great athlete in all facets.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well guys... I am not okay... but i don't care about the results.. it was about the skating.. I am more than OK about the SP.. The last time I felt that much love for our sport was when I saw Patrick's LP at 2017 Nationals... SO... it took 7 years to get this kind of feeling again... This says a lot about what Shoma did in his short program. Shoma will not be defined by this subpar performance for his standard. I hope that all of you my dear friends and fans of Shoma will find peace in this event. I am very upset at my town for not being the place where Shoma won his third title... Damn it.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well guys... I am not okay... but i don't care about the results.. it was about the skating.. I am more than OK about the SP.. The last time I felt that much love for our sport was when I saw Patrick's LP at 2017 Nationals... SO... it took 7 years to get this kind of feeling again... This says a lot about what Shoma did in his short program. Shoma will not be defined by this subpar performance for his standard. I hope that all of you my dear friends and fans of Shoma will find peace in this event. I am very upset at my town for not being the place where Shoma won his third title... Damn it.
Your city is a beautiful city of much histoy and culture. I had truly thought it would be a good place for Shoma as well...now the tears are starting to flow again...damn it...why...

Louby

On the Ice
Your city is a beautiful city of much histoy and culture. I had truly thought it would be a good place for Shoma as well...now the tears are starting to flow again...damn it...why...
We cry because we care about Shoma and all the things he gives us. We cry for the beauty of his skating and his selflessness towards those who have surpassed him in this competition. He has no visible arrogance and his smile at the end of the performance makes us cry all over again.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Shona's gala rocked. 🎸

He was cheerful and smiling It made me feel better about yesterday..(.that and the several rounds of drinks I had... ) the crowd also voted him in second place for the best exhibition award.

I love Shoma and will always do so no matter of the results. I also think he has very kind and caring fans which I appreciate so much.

rabidline

Final Flight
I don't know when I will stop crying. Every time I thought I feel better I see / read something and it sets me off again. Definitely a lot of emotions to process re: Shoma and his skating.

Leaving some pretty photos here to look at. Shoma had a lovely smile throughout this competition.

farornaskonung

Rinkside
I watched the competition yesterday and while I don't want to overlook all the amazing performances put out there by so many skaters ... It's true that have been crying more or less since. Of course I would've loved to see Shoma get that third world title, but most of all I wanted him to have a skate that he would be happy with. A skate to watch over and over again.

I feel so emotional for so many reasons - I actually started crying as soon as he started his program. The story behind the choreography, thinking of his skating career throughout the years, not knowing what will happen next, the music... Yes, the ethereally beautiful music which he fully embodies with the most beautiful skating I have ever seen.

Thank you fellow Shoma fans for cheering me up. And thank you Shoma for your attitude towards the competition and yourself, but most of all thank you for your skating and being who you are.

❤️

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
Chaosonice4 from Twitter has translated the full transcript of Shoma's interview, taken on the last day of the competition, the morning after the FS and before the gala.

I think it's a good read for all of Shoma fans, and I hope it answers some of the questions we all may have.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chaosonice4 from Twitter has translated the full transcript of Shoma's interview, taken on the last day of the competition, the morning after the FS and before the gala.

I think it's a good read for all of Shoma fans, and I hope it answers some of the questions we all may have.

Thank you for posting, rabidline, this means a lot to me. I'm glad Shoma's still going to be his usual Shoma self, no matter what. Even though he isn't exactly outgoing (like say, Jason Brown) in terms of fan interactions, I still appreciate and treasure the little Shoma moments I have somehow managed to accumulate over the years. ❤ I am at currently at peace with what has happened. I hope that whatever happens from now on is all for the best and that whatever his decision ultimately is, he does it from a place that's best for himself, not what's best for his coach, not what's best for his family and friends, not even what's best for his fans or anyone else. In short, I believe in the Shoma that believes in Shoma. (And yes, I'm deliberately paraphrasing a famous quote from the anime Gurren Lagann here)

I'm also starting to think that this may not be the last ride for the bunny hat girl...🐰

Figskater23

Final Flight
Thank you for posting, rabidline, this means a lot to me. I'm glad Shoma's still going to be his usual Shoma self, no matter what. Even though he isn't exactly outgoing (like say, Jason Brown) in terms of fan interactions, I still appreciate and treasure the little Shoma moments I have somehow managed to accumulate over the years. ❤ I am at currently at peace with what has happened. I hope that whatever happens from now on is all for the best and that whatever his decision ultimately is, he does it from a place that's best for himself, not what's best for his coach, not what's best for his family and friends, not even what's best for his fans or anyone else. In short, I believe in the Shoma that believes in Shoma. (And yes, I'm deliberately paraphrasing a famous quote from the anime Gurren Lagann here)

I'm also starting to think that this may not be the last ride for the bunny hat girl...🐰
Bunny hat girl?

Figskater23

Final Flight

Do you have a favorite fan interaction of his?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for thinking of me guys. I am fine! I was pretty shell shocked Saturday night and felt it better to not “speak” until I had processed things. This was the 13th time I have seen Sho compete live. The last time I saw him end up off the podium was at 2016 Worlds! To say I was shocked was an understatement. As I said before the competition, there were 4 strong men competing, and I hated that one very deserving guy was going to end up off the podium Never EVER did I think it would be Sho!

I haven’t had time to read the comments and listen to any commentary, and frankly, I’m afraid it might hurt. I will though once I get home. From the little I’ve seen or heard though, I believe Shoma was just as I would have expected – incredibly gracious, kind, and sportsmanlike whether he is facing victory or defeat – a true class act and champion.

I will watch the FS again later, since my Sho amnesia has really kicked in. But what I will remember most is the SP. It was really an out-of-body experience. Words fail me! Sublime? Seamless? Breathtaking? It was absolutely lovely. His “Come Together” EX – WOW! His skating skills? Amazing! Seeing him at practices and meeting the many Shoma fans who were there was really fun.

I understand there was a Meet and Greet with Stephane on Sunday, and Stephane said Shoma was ok – just as we knew he would be! They agreed that not every day could be a winning day…It made me think about how Sho has been skating for 21 years, and I don’t even know how long he has been competing. He knows what this is like! What was it Stephane said? There are good days and bad days?

I’m glad to hear that people are letting their tears come! I think they are tears of love as much as tears of sadness. I decided early on that I wouldn’t allow myself to cry over skating! When I first started following Shoma and his antis were beating him up constantly, I realized that if my hobby made me cry, I needed to get a new hobby! This time, I will break my rule and will shed a few. OMG, I’m crying on the plane while I’m writing this!!! Tears of so many emotions for my Numero Uno and the forever gold medalist in my heart.

I’m going to grieve for a few days when I get home and then be happy again and pray for another season!!!!! :ghug::console::pray: (Oops -- sorry this got so long)

icewhite

Record Breaker

It's a great interview with great answers, thought- and insightful.