Shoma Uno | Page 224 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
You're coming over way too apologetic for thinking Winter is a great program. :scratch2:

I was thinking back to when people were talking about how the last two spins locations were in a place where people expected a step sequence and because I have no prior idea of anyone skating to this, it actually seemed like a perfect position for the spins, because of how dramatic it makes them.

Verit

Rinkside
Whooo, staying up through all the night (tho I slept some during the day) has been worth it! I honestly loved the show, even if I do prefer competitions (and honestly, some programs just do not... shine? in shows, they're best at competitions). But there were a lot of wonderful skates. I'm kinda in love with Shizuka *______*

Winter is still in development, but holy hell, is it developing! Much like with his last SP, it always feels like it's over way too quickly. It's super lovely already.
I'm also getting very excited about Stephane working with Shoma later in the summer, I feel like he could be such a wonderful influence and make Shoma shine even more.

Also, it inspired me to finally do something beyond simple gifs: http://verit.tumblr.com/post/161726604281 :))) a small tribute to Winter. I may also make a gif version of this, Shoma's sooo intense during this part.

OnlyUno

Rinkside
I was thinking back to when people were talking about how the last two spins locations were in a place where people expected a step sequence and because I have no prior idea of anyone skating to this, it actually seemed like a perfect position for the spins, because of how dramatic it makes them.

THANKS ALL! for all the links, photos... and COMMENTS, which I so agree with. i have a tendency to become protective of my faves, none of whom are skaters besides Shoma, but Shoma finds me willing to protect him with my life, lol. Yet what I love about him (at the same time) is the increasing feeling that he's an incredibly solid guy. Just this sense that, at the end of the day he'll only do what's true to himself, whatever confronts him.
btw I too am loving the new spins at end! Also LIKE THE HIGH WAIST TROUSERS IN THE SENSE THAT THE CLEAN LINES ENHANCE THE AUSTERITY OF WINTER, for me. (and classicism of vivaldi)

OnlyUno

Rinkside
PS. just came back because i remembered (for those of you who are musicians) Vivaldi was a baroque composer! never-the-less I was referring more to the purity in style, not thinking of historical periods!sorry

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
heyhey I love winter. It is a magnificent program. and Shoma is magnificent. and also since i was very frustrated with the lack of Shoma from that horrendous camera work at the show (i mean the most important event that happened in the history of figure skating AKA Marin sitting on Sho's lap resulted in a 1px picture taken from a potato. If the filming is gonna be terrible, they should let the fans film!), i went on a binge of shooms tag on instagram and found this : https://www.instagram.com/p/BN5SYHCBcZr/?taken-by=lilico_pom which i find so hilarious like how he avoided the arm of that woman that was trying to point him the direction. I love him so much. He is so wonderfully awkward.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
on my! Arriba has changed her pic lol, that's the cutiest Shoma😸
For the longest time I never had an Avatar. Now every time I see a cute photo of Shomita, I'm saying "Oh, I want that for my Av'. In other words, every 15 minutes I want a new Avatar! :laugh2:

btw I too am loving the new spins at end! Also LIKE THE HIGH WAIST TROUSERS IN THE SENSE THAT THE CLEAN LINES ENHANCE THE AUSTERITY OF WINTER, for me. (and classicism of vivaldi)
Thankfully, I think they finally have learned to stop dressing him like a little boy with those crazy deep Vs. I think with Loco, they "wised up" and realized that with that little baby face of his, he was never going to be able to sell a tango dressed like a little boy. Thus the fabulous Loco costume. And I heard (or read somewhere?) the Loco costume cost around $5,000 USD. It was worth every penny of it!

heyhey I love winter. It is a magnificent program. and Shoma is magnificent. and also since i was very frustrated with the lack of Shoma from that horrendous camera work at the show (i mean the most important event that happened in the history of figure skating AKA Marin sitting on Sho's lap resulted in a 1px picture taken from a potato. If the filming is gonna be terrible, they should let the fans film!), i went on a binge of shooms tag on instagram and found this : https://www.instagram.com/p/BN5SYHCBcZr/?taken-by=lilico_pom which i find so hilarious like how he avoided the arm of that woman that was trying to point him the direction. I love him so much. He is so wonderfully awkward.

Someone HAS to have a photo of that. We need to hunt them down! I love the way they all waddle around when they have their skate guards on! He looks so cute! Actually I think part of that awkwardness comes from his lack of English. In person he seems kind of cool and collected.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

That user is a Goldmine....

LaLaLa...Loco..lalala...whut? *DEATHGLARE in slomo*

Making innocent moments look weirdly inappropriate through slomo....

OnlyUno

Rinkside
Maikatze, you certainly find the funniest clips, had convulsions after the last one. it's clear, there's a high probability he'll be making someone in his future, oh so very happy!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^He seems to really dislike when people video him, and that does look like a real live death glare. Can't say that I blame him when he's about to skate. I would think the other skaters feel the same way. They're working out their jitters and probably just want to be left alone!

Speaking of that user (lilico) -- for those of you who have been in this thread for a while, wasn't she the friend of Mrs. Piggy who used to post a lot here? Mrs. Piggy probably hasn't posted in at least a year or so. (lilico did a lot of MADs and chinatsus did a lot of fan art?)

Latremu

Final Flight
@Latemu, only around 100 sets're sold in Yokohama & official site, only those customers can go Shoma's Yokohama event, however, still other shops surely have limited sets but not have permission of pop in Yokohama event.

Wow, only 100 sets and maybe some more? That's a really limited edition! Thanks for answering my question, Kanna!

heyhey I love winter. It is a magnificent program. and Shoma is magnificent. and also since i was very frustrated with the lack of Shoma from that horrendous camera work at the show (i mean the most important event that happened in the history of figure skating AKA Marin sitting on Sho's lap resulted in a 1px picture taken from a potato. If the filming is gonna be terrible, they should let the fans film!)

I have to agree with your opinion on the camera work!! Mostly focused on yuzuru, and even when yuzuru did the cartwheel, the camera focused on Javier, who wasn't doing anything that interesting. Multiple misses there, unfortunately.

Out of desperation to view this highly controversial yet visually elusive occurrence of the lap-sitting business, one of Marin's fans placed the end of the opening in slow motion and zoomed the edge of the screen. 😁

https://twitter.com/marin_channel/status/874261980537692162

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^^^He seems to really dislike when people video him, and that does look like a real live death glare. Can't say that I blame him when he's about to skate. I would think the other skaters feel the same way. They're working out their jitters and probably just want to be left alone!

I hope you weren't on the receiving end of such a deathglare, Arriba. He really looks murderous, haha! :laugh:

Wow, only 100 sets and maybe some more? That's a really limited edition! Thanks for answering my question, Kanna!

I have to agree with your opinion on the camera work!! Mostly focused on yuzuru, and even when yuzuru did the cartwheel, the camera focused on Javier, who wasn't doing anything that interesting. Multiple misses there, unfortunately.

Out of desperation to view this highly controversial yet visually elusive occurrence of the lap-sitting business, one of Marin's fans placed the end of the opening in slow motion and zoomed the edge of the screen. 😁

https://twitter.com/marin_channel/status/874261980537692162

Oh god....*LOL*:gclap::dbana: You have a way with words. Hehe....

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Does someone (a classical music nerd perhaps) know which version/recording of Four Seasons the Winter Prince is using in his program?

Edit: I take every bad word back I ever said about David Wilson's choreography, after watching This Town like maybe, thirty times. That man is a genius. There is so much subtle brilliance in that exhibition, it's just :eeking:!! Of course it is Shoma's skating that makes it even greater, but I admit I was wrong when I said, "Ew, no" last year!

OnlyUno

Rinkside
Does someone (a classical music nerd perhaps) know which version/recording of Four Seasons the Winter Prince is using in his program?

Edit: I take every bad word back I ever said about David Wilson's choreography, after watching This Town like maybe, thirty times. That man is a genius. There is so much subtle brilliance in that exhibition, it's just :eeking:!! Of course it is Shoma's skating that makes it even greater, but I admit I was wrong when I said, "Ew, no" last year!

Yes I love This Town. (i swear I did not see this part of your message earlier when I did my drive-by here…) Did Wilson also choreograph new swan?, was that the name, of Yuzuru’s EX? I saw it back in the autumn and thought it was good too. (oh, hope you liked that) I’ve read it’s changed a little now over several EXs. I love This Town even more. (lol, maybe it’s not the same choreographer!)
I go back and see This Town out of a need now and then, and am surprised I’ve teared up and my chins all scrunched up from emotion. Every expression falls into the flow of the whole and inimitably Shoma while being another Shoma’s side.
I remember a dancer, Alessandra Ferri, saying in an interview, and I paraphrase from memory (can’t remember her exact words at all!) that when some link happens between dancer and choreographer you can’t explain it in words, this connection. (of course, I don't know if this was the case. but i love this)

Hronop

On the Ice

I am a classical music nerd, but it's really difficult to say. Definitely not a 'historically informed performance' (e.g., Il Giardino Armonico) -- just some regular stuff. There are tons of recordings of this music that sound this way. What is interesting is the way they cut this music, and particularly that the beginning of Winter is in the middle of his program, which I find great, because it allows him to create 1) a moment of rest and suspense, and then 2) a dynamic crescendo and rhythmic acceleration up to the climactic end of this program, with spins.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I am a classical music nerd, but it's really difficult to say. Definitely not a 'historically informed performance' (e.g., Il Giardino Armonico) -- just some regular stuff. There are tons of recordings of this music that sound this way. What is interesting is the way they cut this music, and particularly that the beginning of Winter is in the middle of his program, which I find great, because it allows him to create 1) a moment of rest and suspense, and then 2) a dynamic crescendo and rhythmic acceleration up to the climactic end of this program, with spins.

It's a very interesting cut indeed, I think it's great that it kind of defies the expectation a bit. I remember my parents had the LP of a recording of Anne Sophie Mutter, but perhaps Shoma uses something more italian? :) Could be anything, maybe even something japanese *sigh*.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I did not see this posted anywhere. Here is the Makuhari FOI show.

Part I:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNvN11I4FAU

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4jSYqACVoc

thanks for sharing...

i finally watched it again with analytical powers rather than just ... :love:

here are my comments (music nerd as well here)

1)I like the opening, the little steps and the sort of upper body wave he does. throughout the SP, nice arms and one can only imagine what this will be in 6 months.
2) the first spin is gorgeously turning with the musical pulse... it's great to see.. beautiful effect... it's like his speed is matching the music which is very effective in the camel positions
3)steps are good, i think they will get better of course: i think they chose to put them there to not fall into the usual clichés. What's nice in the step sequence is that he does build it up, when the music picks up
4)nice pause, dramatic effect by the boards... i like that... i like that shoma keeps using strange spots to put highlights, like his combo spin in loco.... here the pause would usually be put in center ice... but nope, he does it by the board.
5) repeated chords : building speed for big jumps. good.
6) and of course, the consequence of what I wrote earlier : since he used unusual music for the steps, where the music goes into sequences and where people would choreo their steps and build up becomes where he puts his last two spins.
7) entrance into the sit spin is very effective
8) the combo spin is quite cool as the ending element here with this music.

My only complaint is that i feel that by the time we get to the most known part of the music, it's already the end and there is no more build up... I know some of you will disagree with this but i think it ends a bit "quiet" .. however, in a competition, perhaps the contribution of the crowd will change this perspective. I just feel that there is a small missed opportunity for a big BANG in the end of the program... and the alternative, a softer ending, is not really there either because of the intense music during the spin... so it's intense but then stops suddenly and normally on a cadence, without fireworks... again, we will see what happens when this is skated in a competition.

very good program and what is nice is that despite the warhorse, the concept of the program is different.