Shoma Uno | Page 81 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m really oblivious to people’s weight gains/losses but some people said he looked heavier at one of the ice shows. I think it was at PIW Yokohama. Maybe he is gaining more muscles or eating cupcakes in secrecy.

--------
Shoma’s interview from this morning’s broadcast.
Just translating the important bits below.
He’s kind of forced to congratulate Akiko on her engagement (from around 1:00) because the announcer says to him “There is something you want to tell Akiko-san isn't there?" and Shoma looks puzzled for a second and whispers “Congratulations.” :laugh:
He trained in the U.S. for 3 weeks, it was like a training camp with focus on jumps. He thinks his condition has improved from it.
About the quads, Akiko asks him how he motivated himself go for the 4F and he replies that he looked forward to it more than felt reservations about it because he was so frustrated about the results at Worlds and did it to change his mood. While the 4F isn't as consistent as the 4T, it’s more consistent than the other quads so he wants to include it next season.
A question from Nobu. Is there a possibility he’ll include other quads this season (Nobu has seen him land the 4Lo and 4F) and Shoma says the possibility isn't zero because he never knows what will happen, like with the 4F. He’s practicing the 4Lo to make it more consistent but asks not to expect too much from him.
About Daisuke's LOTF, Shoma says he’s had dance lessons before, but he can’t do what he does on the ice so he’d never be able to do what Daisuke's doing. He is motivated to do well this season after watching Daisuke on stage.
His goal this season is the same as last season’s, “to attack”. Asked what color medal he’d like at next Worlds, he says that more than medals, he doesn’t want to end up with tears at the end of the season. Akiko says she cried too.

Oh this guy :points: Thank you for the translation. I am still amazed that he could be here for 3 weeks, and we didn't know! I am so hoping for the best for him (and his jumps)! I was hoping he would mention the U.S. Classic International competition in September and whether he is competing for sure.

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
This is the first time I have ever seen a cupcake machine, although I have heard of the company Sprinkles.There are only a few of them in the U.S. They sell these HUGE cupcakes that are $4.00 each and are in many unusual flavors. I had to do a little "investigation" and was very interested to see that this cupcake machine is in a very exclusive, fancy section of Chicago. I wondered when Shoma visited there! I know I sound like the Diet Police, but I also wondered if the drink he is holding is a Coke with sugar or a Diet Coke (Coke Light). :rofl: Just trying to keep him slim and trim so he can continue to post good scores! :points: Now I want to go to see that machine!

You are like a briliant ditective! Thanks for your job. Fmmm... Japan is a country where tons of vending machines having varies kinds of marchandice and usually we get used to them. Shoma was watching on the machine, so it must have caused any interest to him so much.:laugh: (of course, his crave for sweets!)

I’m really oblivious to people’s weight gains/losses but some people said he looked heavier at one of the ice shows. I think it was at PIW Yokohama. Maybe he is gaining more muscles or eating cupcakes in secrecy.

--------
Shoma’s interview from this morning’s broadcast.
Just translating the important bits below.
He’s kind of forced to congratulate Akiko on her engagement (from around 1:00) because the announcer says to him “There is something you want to tell Akiko-san isn't there?" and Shoma looks puzzled for a second and whispers “Congratulations.” :laugh:
He trained in the U.S. for 3 weeks, it was like a training camp with focus on jumps. He thinks his condition has improved from it.
About the quads, Akiko asks him how he motivated himself go for the 4F and he replies that he looked forward to it more than felt reservations about it because he was so frustrated about the results at Worlds and did it to change his mood. While the 4F isn't as consistent as the 4T, it’s more consistent than the other quads so he wants to include it next season.
A question from Nobu. Is there a possibility he’ll include other quads this season (Nobu has seen him land the 4Lo and 4F) and Shoma says the possibility isn't zero because he never knows what will happen, like with the 4F. He’s practicing the 4Lo to make it more consistent but asks not to expect too much from him.
About Daisuke's LOTF, Shoma says he’s had dance lessons before, but he can’t do what he does on the ice so he’d never be able to do what Daisuke's doing. He is motivated to do well this season after watching Daisuke on stage.
His goal this season is the same as last season’s, “to attack”. Asked what color medal he’d like at next Worlds, he says that more than medals, he doesn’t want to end up with tears at the end of the season. Akiko says she cried too.

Thanks mikaboo and your translation! :) Im glad to see his face on screen after getting back from US.
dont you think why they did such stupid questions? their interview is annoying to me. now shoma's already disclosed his new programs and having experienced his practice in US. Im sure there are many questions they should do (ex, about new programs!) other than quad! OK, i dont expect such content with TV interview. thanks god, there are some figure skating mabazines having high-qulitied interviews. Ill go to a large bookstore and check them!:drama:

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are like a briliant ditective! Thanks for your job. Fmmm... Japan is a country where tons of vending machines having varies kinds of marchandice and usually we get used to them. Shoma was watching on the machine, so it must have caused any interest to him so much.:laugh: (of course, his crave for sweets!)

Thanks mikaboo and your translation! :) Im glad to see his face on screen after getting back from US.
dont you think why they did such stupid questions? their interview is annoying to me. now shoma's already disclosed his new programs and having experienced his practice in US. Im sure there are many questions they should do (ex, about new programs!) other than quad! OK, i dont expect such content with TV interview. thanks god, there are some figure skating mabazines having high-qulitied interviews. Ill go to a large bookstore and check them!:drama:

I was so disappointed they didn't ask him about his training. But it seems they are obsessed with the quad and have repeatedly asked him about it since April. I hate the quad because it's so unpredictable. Also during a Team Cup Challenge practice, he slammed the back of his head really hard on the ice when he fell going for a quad flip. Apparently, later on they had a big ice pack on the back of his head. I suppose you can hurt yourself just doing a double jump, but I don't want him to end up having a situation like Josh. :sad4: I am glad that he still seems to be staying very humble though. Smart guy.

And you are right - what about the new programs!? My only thought was maybe he told them he didn't want to talk about those topics? It seems like some people are being VERY secretive this year. You are fortunate to see skaters interviewed on TV though. We rarely (if ever) have anything like that.

We have machines that sell a lot of stuff, but that cupcake one is rather unusual the way it puts the cupcake in a box for you! I want to see it and (maybe?) buy a cupcake.

hamaguri

Record Breaker
I was so disappointed they didn't ask him about his training. But it seems they are obsessed with the quad and have repeatedly asked him about it since April. I hate the quad because it's so unpredictable. Also during a Team Cup Challenge practice, he slammed the back of his head really hard on the ice when he fell going for a quad flip. Apparently, later on they had a big ice pack on the back of his head. I suppose you can hurt yourself just doing a double jump, but I don't want him to end up having a situation like Josh. :sad4: I am glad that he still seems to be staying very humble though. Smart guy.

And you are right - what about the new programs!? My only thought was maybe he told them he didn't want to talk about those topics? It seems like some people are being VERY secretive this year. You are fortunate to see skaters interviewed on TV though. We rarely (if ever) have anything like that.

We have machines that sell a lot of stuff, but that cupcake one is rather unusual the way it puts the cupcake in a box for you! I want to see it and (maybe?) buy a cupcake.

Most Japanese TV always feature quad since they think it has an impact and they can get viewers. They hardly mention to other elements than jumps. For example, about Mao, they just repeat 3A, 3A, 3A… (Liza is the same.). they’ve never told how Mao’s step work is stunning and out of this world. I expect nothing about TV and some online articles.
But magazine articles are sometimes different. Today many figure skating magazines are published one after another (I cant catch all of them!). Some of them are really well made having nice interviews and beautiful photos. I can find anything about his training in US or new programs in such an article.

When I heard Josh’s news in a train, I couldn’t stop my tears. Remembering his smile or big joy at 4CC just makes me sad. I had a hope that he would come back, but he couldn’t. :sad21:

Still I cant catch all information about new programs of skaters, but they are late this year? (now i wonder if there's any air of his PIW next weekend. I wish they'll show his performance fully:drama:)

If you catch the capcake machine, please report about it. It seems unique!

mikaboo

Medalist
Oh this guy :points: Thank you for the translation. I am still amazed that he could be here for 3 weeks, and we didn't know! I am so hoping for the best for him (and his jumps)! I was hoping he would mention the U.S. Classic International competition in September and whether he is competing for sure.

Unimportant, but a slight mistake on the translation which I’ve corrected in red in the original post :drama:

I read that JSF are holding a selection meet on July 30th for which skaters they're going to send to CS competitions. Maybe they're waiting until they decide for everyone before announcing it.

I expected nothing more or less from a Japanese “information/news” TV program that’s aired in the morning :eek:hwell: At least they didn't mistakenly say that he placed 5th at Worlds like they did last time :reye:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unimportant, but a slight mistake on the translation which I’ve corrected in red in the original post :drama:

I read that JSF are holding a selection meet on July 30th for which skaters they're going to send to CS competitions. Maybe they're waiting until they decide for everyone before announcing it.

I expected nothing more or less from a Japanese “information/news” TV program that’s aired in the morning :eek:hwell: At least they didn't mistakenly say that he placed 5th at Worlds like they did last time :reye:

Oh I see, I thought by now it would be common knowledge who is going to which competition. That might be another JSF meeting where it would be fun to be a spider on the wall listening. I guess I am over anxious (as always!) and rushing it. Maybe they should let fans submit questions for the interviews!

Sounds like they are almost trying to FORCE him into making verbal commitments about what he will and won't do with the different quads.:curse: How can he even know at this point?! Just the usual quad madness!

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I heard Josh’s news in a train, I couldn’t stop my tears. Remembering his smile or big joy at 4CC just makes me sad. I had a hope that he would come back, but he couldn’t. :sad21:

I'm sure that was a very sad day for you. :console: I know so many people were devastated. I was not a big follower of his but did enjoy his skating and of course never want anyone to get hurt. Sad to think of all the hard work and commitment he put into skating and now he's done.

I was glad that I was not at our 2016 Nationals gala when Nathan got hurt. Very sad! It probably didn't help that he had a 6 quad SP/FS! I have to admit though, his programs were amazing.

Last edited:

Mrs piggy

Rinkside
Hi New MAD uploaded again.:laugh: Shoma's little brother (he name is Itsuki :樹) in the video.
Itsuki is Icehockey player(age:14or15).:luv17:

Show Max 45 真央&舞&昌磨アルバム(Mao&Mai&Shoma)
https://youtu.be/BfvnCL2r9PU

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know most of you here have already watched the scene but this is really cute :luv17:

Little Mao and Baby Shoma
(and his brother?)

Love that look on Shoma's face like he just can't wait to get on the ice. What a cute kid! Itsuki is cute too. Wonder what it's like living in the shadow of a brother who gets so much attention!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi New MAD uploaded again.:laugh: Shoma's little brother (he name is Itsuki :樹) in the video.
Itsuki is Icehockey player(age:14or15).:luv17:

Show Max 45 真央&舞&昌磨アルバム(Mao&Mai&Shoma)
https://youtu.be/BfvnCL2r9PU

Welcome back Mrs. Piggy. I missed you these last couple days! :yahoo: Love all these young Shoma video clips. To me, Shoma just looks like just a normal, healthy kid who likes to "torture"/ tease his little brother.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At this point, this news is a little bit old, but I have been meaning to post the comments made by Jenny and Dave on The Skating Lesson's This & That from 7-3-16. I was happy to hear that they at least made a few comments about Shoma! They also mentioned that there was a possibility that Tomoki was going to leave Alex and go to Kori. As of a few days ago, we learned for certain that Tomoki has now started training with Kori.:eek:topic:

J.: We do know that Shoma is going to train with Alex (Ouriashev) for a little bit. But for how long? Do we know?
D.: I think he was there for about a month working with him. Maybe Alex will work with him on his landing positions.
J.: Yes! Left arm in front!
D.: I think it's kind of the last thing that Shoma needs if he's going to really compete with the other top men. You kinda wait for it, at some point it's probably going to start hurting him.
J.: Yes, the knees and the hips. I would think when you come down with all that force and you're so torqued to the left, something is going to not be good one day!
D.: I think for right now, it's good for him to work with Alex. Alex is such a respected jump technician. I know that Frank (Carroll) has said a lot of really nice things about Alex and the work he did with Gracie (Gold). Hopefully Shoma can up the ante and bring some competition to Japan and really be among the top men in that conversation this year.

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
@Arriba627
Thank you for transcribing what they said. Some people translated the part about Shoma into Japanese but I didn’t watch the video because, well… I’ve stopped watching TSL unless they have someone really interesting joining them.

PIW Tokyo is coming up this weekend. Shoma will be skating on Friday’s and Saturday’s shows. Will he debut his SP? Or will he repeat the (hopefully improved) tango FS? Or is he going to skate to his ex? Unfortunately, I haven’t heard about it being broadcasted on TV yet :(

And it was announced today that Shoma and Satoko are competing at JO! Where is mom Mao?
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2016/

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Arriba627
Thank you for transcribing what they said. Some people translated the part about Shoma into Japanese but I didn’t watch the video because, well… I’ve stopped watching TSL unless they have someone really interesting joining them.

PIW Tokyo is coming up this weekend. Shoma will be skating on Friday’s and Saturday’s shows. Will he debut his SP? Or will he repeat the (hopefully improved) tango FS? Or is he going to skate to his ex? Unfortunately, I haven’t heard about it being broadcasted on TV yet :(

And it was announced today that Shoma and Satoko are competing at JO! Where is mom Mao?
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2016/

I understand - the interviews they have are usually wonderful and very insightful - but some of the things where just the two of them talk can be very annoying. And sometimes they are speaking my language and I can barely understand them!!!! They had great interviews with Tracy Wilson (where she talked a lot about Yuzu's training) and Kori Ade ( where she talked about Jason's training). The Philip Mills one was good too.

Such secrecy with the SP! I have a feeling Shoma is very busy with his training. Sure would love it if we could see the new SP in the Tokyo show. I hope he is still following Uncle Dai's advice of one day of rest, though! Maybe there will be some video clips or (at the very least) some updates from fans...Thanks for all you do and for loving Shoma enough to keep us updated!

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
I understand - the interviews they have are usually wonderful and very insightful - but some of the things where just the two of them talk can be very annoying. And sometimes they are speaking my language and I can barely understand them!!!! They had great interviews with Tracy Wilson (where she talked a lot about Yuzu's training) and Kori Ade ( where she talked about Jason's training). The Philip Mills one was good too.

I enjoyed their interviews with Tracy Wilson, Kori Ade, Philip Mills, Alex Ouriashev, Tamara Moskvina, etc. but when it's just the two of them, they become too obnoxious for my taste :no:

Such secrecy with the SP! I have a feeling Shoma is very busy with his training. Sure would love it if we could see the new SP in the Tokyo show. I hope he is still following Uncle Dai's advice of one day of rest, though! Maybe there will be some video clips or (at the very least) some updates from fans...Thanks for all you do and for loving Shoma enough to keep us updated!

I think there'll at least be lots of photos from fans because PIW is the one show where photos are allowed at the end.

I'm not sure if this has been posted here before. Shoma T-shirt :biggrin:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think there'll at least be lots of photos from fans because PIW is the one show where photos are allowed at the end.

Hoping for photos - and in the meantime, I W A N T T H A T S H I R T! :dance2:

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker

Congrats Shoma! glad to see his cover! :love: Almost all figure skating magazines have yuzu in their covers.:drama:

I

I love her essay! I dont know she is such a beautiful lady.

I enjoyed their interviews with Tracy Wilson, Kori Ade, Philip Mills, Alex Ouriashev, Tamara Moskvina, etc. but when it's just the two of them, they become too obnoxious for my taste :no:
Me too. in most cases that their interviews become grate, it's the time when interviewees themselves are wonderful.

I cant wait his SP until THE ICE. it's impossible! :drama: I would love to see it at PIW.
i guess Tokyo local TV may air his performance on TV.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me too. in most cases that their interviews become grate, it's the time when interviewees themselves are wonderful.

While I was standing in line waiting to go through security at Worlds, I realized I was standing right next to Dave from The Skating Lesson. Of course he was totally hyper and talking 100 miles per hour. What I really should have done was ask him why they didn't say ONE WORD about Shoma in their Worlds preview! That made me really upset! Usually I only watch them for the guests -- but we get pretty desperate here in the U.S. during off season. :drama:

Beautiful cover for Shoma. Wish we had so many wonderful magazines! I subscribe to International Figure Skating. It's good but not great. :sad4: