On the Ice
Country
Japan

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sho came ready to rock and roll. He looked very jetlagged to me but really pushed through that and threw himself into the program with a vengeance. Wow! That is a challenging program. To do all those quads and then have that wild step sequence! Amazing! It's almost as if he becomes the music during the step sequence...A couple times he was looking a little frustrated with himself because the 4Lo wasn't behaving (outside the run through), but he kept fighting. He was so, so serious. It's ok to smile Sho. Very enjoyable practice.

Hope Shun Sato is ok. I was sitting right by where he fell (about 10 rows back), and it seemed like he had a hard time getting up and then was holding his shoulder. Be well Shun!

16Olympics

On the Ice
Sho came ready to rock and roll. He looked very jetlagged to me but really pushed through that and threw himself into the program with a vengeance. Wow! That is a challenging program. To do all those quads and then have that wild step sequence! Amazing! It's almost as if he becomes the music during the step sequence...A couple times he was looking a little frustrated with himself because the 4Lo wasn't behaving (outside the run through), but he kept fighting. He was so, so serious. It's ok to smile Sho. Very enjoyable practice.

Hope Shun Sato is ok. I was sitting right by where he fell (about 10 rows back), and it seemed like he had a hard time getting up and then was holding his shoulder. Be well Shun!
Hi Arriba! Good to hear from you! Thanks for the report. I agree. Shoma came to deliver. Yay! I really love the Bolero music. It's so sweeping. Shoma said in his interview after practice that he was happy to be overseas and show everyone what he's been working on. Yes, yes he is! Sorry to hear about Shun. He's been having a good season so far. Hope all is well with him.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very happy to read Jackie's positive comments about Shomajesty. I noticed a few days ago that he predicted him for silver. Of course predictions are just predictions, but that's where I put him too. Come on Sho, you can do it. Stepen was hilarious at the boards. He was skating as much as Shoma, especially during the intense music of the step sequence.

I think we could all feel a different intensity in Sho's skating. It was SO hard for all the skaters to stay motivated with all the competition cancellations during Covid. Surely the Olys is providing motivation too. :yahoo:

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was also at the Skate America practice session, can report that the 4F (hand) probably could have been better had Brezina not been so close to him at the time (no fault on Brezina, it was a wrong place, wrong time situation).

Shoma was very tired, but also very determined! I had low expectations for him, but those expectations have certainly been raised.

As an aside, there was a song that played in the arena right at the end of the practice session, "Chasing the Sun" by The Wanted, and the lyrics seemed oddly relevant:

They said this day wouldn't come
We refused to run
We've only just begun
You'll find us chasing the sun

Hoping we fans can continue to chase the fiery intensity that Shoma brings...

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A friend of mine was saying she thought Nathan looked tired too (she was watching the Peacock stream). I'm just wondering if they're All a little more tired and stressed than they normally would be, just because this is the first big international competition in a while. Glad the audience was so supportive.

16Olympics

On the Ice
Very happy to read Jackie's positive comments about Shomajesty. I noticed a few days ago that he predicted him for silver. Of course predictions are just predictions, but that's where I put him too. Come on Sho, you can do it. Stepen was hilarious at the boards. He was skating as much as Shoma, especially during the intense music of the step sequence.

I think we could all feel a different intensity in Sho's skating. It was SO hard for all the skaters to stay motivated with all the competition cancellations during Covid. Surely the Olys is providing motivation too. :yahoo:

This.
With all the stop, go, stop, do of the last 18 months, getting back on the ice with an audience and so much on the line this Olympic season, I'm glad the practice sessions helped to get Shoma's mind adjusted to being a challenger in this competition with solid skating. Nathan looked tentative compared to Shoma but maybe he has not run through his full programs a lot of times or he doesn't want the everything revealed until he skates it in competition. Nathan drove last year to NV and Shoma crossed how many time lines to get to LV?so fatigue def plays on their minds.

Enjoy your Shoma show tonight!