Upgrade from Jackson freestyle skates | Golden Skate

Upgrade from Jackson freestyle skates

rnskier2

Spectator
Hi Everyone, I am looking to upgrade from Jackson freestyle with the aspire XP blade. I am 5’4 150lbs and have my single jumps through loop. I skate an average about 3 hours a week. I have have been measured by my local fitter that advised me that my current boots are too wide. I was fitted with a 6.5 wide in the Jackson freestyle. I am in the Seattle area and it seems that all the local fitters carry either Edea or Jackson. I have an Egyptian foot with low arches and average width. I am wondering if another brand of boot would work better with my feet than Jackson or Edea.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It could be that you're fine with Jackson (you haven't reported any pain or issues) but would be better in the regular fitting. What did your fitter recommend?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi Everyone, I am looking to upgrade from Jackson freestyle with the aspire XP blade. I am 5’4 150lbs and have my single jumps through loop. I skate an average about 3 hours a week. I have have been measured by my local fitter that advised me that my current boots are too wide. I was fitted with a 6.5 wide in the Jackson freestyle. I am in the Seattle area and it seems that all the local fitters carry either Edea or Jackson. I have an Egyptian foot with low arches and average width. I am wondering if another brand of boot would work better with my feet than Jackson or Edea.
You're probably fine with Jackson but don't need the wide width? You could also try Risport. What are your current boots Jackson .....what?

rnskier2

Spectator
It could be that you're fine with Jackson (you haven't reported any pain or issues) but would be better in the regular fitting. What did your fitter recommend?
The fitter would be able to put me in Jackson or Edea. The fitters in this area only work with Jackson or Edea and are not familiar enough with the other brands to make a recommendation besides those two brands. I’m wanting to investigate whether another brand might be a better fit for me. I haven’t found any of the coaches that I know that are able to make a recommendation either outside of those two brands.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The fitter would be able to put me in Jackson or Edea. The fitters in this area only work with Jackson or Edea and are not familiar enough with the other brands to make a recommendation besides those two brands. I’m wanting to investigate whether another brand might be a better fit for me. I haven’t found any of the coaches that I know that are able to make a recommendation either outside of those two brands.
What area of the world are you in? We could suggest a different fitter.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
In Vancouver they have Edea, Jackson, Reidell, and Risport. It's closer for you than me, and I'm in BC and likely going there.
At Cyclone Taylor's Figure Skating Skate Shop (not to be confused with their separate hockey skate shop :)). I don't know what restrictions there may be crossing the border to shop from the US to Canada, only the regulations for the other direction? I'm in a suburb of Vancouver myself. The BC one, not Vancouver, Washington.

silverlily1

On the Ice
At Cyclone Taylor's Figure Skating Skate Shop (not to be confused with their separate hockey skate shop :)). I don't know what restrictions there may be crossing the border to shop from the US to Canada, only the regulations for the other direction? I'm in a suburb of Vancouver myself. The BC one, not Vancouver, Washington.
I was thinking Skater's Edge, but yes, there are options.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I was thinking Skater's Edge, but yes, there are options.
These were both places I was going to suggest to OP, just didn't have the time last night. ;)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
These were both places I was going to suggest to OP, just didn't have the time last night. ;)
And I remembered Skater's Edge after I'd hit Post Reply, but it was after midnight here and I was off to bed.:bed: Jointly, we managed to cover the choices, although I don't know how easy it is to shop cross-border in person for something like boots and blades? Easy enough online, but I've heard tales about border stopping inspections and don't know what they're sticky about (blades as potential sharp weapons?), not having gone through a cross-border check for a few decades. Perhaps a buyer from Seattle can drive up to Vancouver and get fitted, and then go home and order the recommended skates from the fitter online?

rnskier2

Spectator
Great. Thanks for that info 😊

rnskier2

Spectator
And I remembered Skater's Edge after I'd hit Post Reply, but it was after midnight here and I was off to bed.:bed: Jointly, we managed to cover the choices, although I don't know how easy it is to shop cross-border in person for something like boots and blades? Easy enough online, but I've heard tales about border stopping inspections and don't know what they're sticky about (blades as potential sharp weapons?), not having gone through a cross-border check for a few decades. Perhaps a buyer from Seattle can drive up to Vancouver and get fitted, and then go home and order the recommended skates from the fitter online?
Thanks so much for that additional information. I will look into the US customs restrictions.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
The pain of being from the PNW is always saying “no, not that one, the other one.” 😂 (former Washingtonian here, and constantly have to tell people I’m from the one with better nature and fewer politicians. 😉