Should Sui/Han keep programs for 2018? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should Sui/Han keep programs for 2018?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Skaters should always go for new programs, so there are no excuses to ever mark them down.

It is the Olympics. Come up with something bigger, better, and more glorious, then they will really stand out as the leader of the pack.

Look forward, never look backwards.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think they should try new programs and if it does not work during the first half of the season, use the programs of this season for the olympics, because these were successful and people are not tired of see those programs. Same for Mao.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
wow, everyone are working really early for the olympic season!

Not that early. Team China went to Lori with a similar schedule last year although the partner switches sparked the debates.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
While it will be a great touching moment at the Olympics with Bridge Over Troubled Water, purely for my selfish reason, I want to see new programs from them as they are great pair skaters.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not a fan of repeating programs... see my recent remarks on the Ashley Wagner Olympic Programs thread.

But... they've only skated these twice. Still, I'd only keep the Long, which is a masterpiece.

They need at least one new program, and it should be the SP.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
a lot of skaters keep either programs... Patrick has done that a lot... learning 2 programs over 3 years. I think it depends on how much other commitments skaters have during the off season. In the case of Sui-Han, we will see the programs again at wtt... so 3 times ... I think they have more potential to improve and upgrade the LP while the SP is already at its best... So keep the LP and ditch the SP seems to be the right thing to do... If they end up feeling not 100% comfortable with the new SP, then, no worries, they can always bring it back up.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I don't think repeating itself would be a problem, especially when you do some retouch, and change costume.

Last season, Ashely repeated her Moulin Rouge with and judges didn't mind to award her with World Silver;
Mao also converted her LP in the previous season into her SP in the Olympic year.

Nika09

On the Ice
At first I thought they should keep LP for improving mistakes (one mistake to be correct) and SP becouse it's just brilliant! But now, after briefly watching their 2016 programs which I've been missed (after Volosojar/Trankov not a huge fan of Pair skating so far) I think they shouldn't. I don't know how, but either Spanish music, BluesForKlook or ballade fits them and they can feel all those different types of music. And there were some amazing elements that I would like to see in new season. And I think one of the programs should be catchy like SP for 2017 and 2016. And no more mistakes! Unfortunately seems like mistakes another thing that they are consistent with.

It's ok If they will decide to keep programs or one of them though (but I agree something new it's not always but usually better idea).

My point is they are able to put on something more, better. I mean this girl had enough time and calmness (thanks to her bit tiny but awesome partner of course) to open up her hands after first rotation and was sightseeing up in the air during throw-3F SP!! :biggrin:
Just be healthy (I wish it to every athlete)!

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sui/Han's FS was beautiful but I'd like to see new Olympic programs from them (from everybody, really).

Although, I understand when skaters revert back to programs that worked for them in the past, as they have a comfort level with it -- as long as they present the program in a new way/interpretation, and make it more intricate/difficult, and not simply resurrect the same program.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Blues for Klook is magnificent so I wouldn't mind watching it again, but they deserve a more striking LP for the Olympics than Bridge over Troubled Water. It's a tad boring, to be honest. Better music choice for the next season.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Since the two programs of Sui Han only competed twice. The original plan is to keep both programs, but they now have won the world title, should they change programs in the Olympic season?

I will suggest keep the SP

Change the LP... it's a masterpiece but a bit "low profile" for olympics. Would love to see more powerful program matching Sui's character.

What do you think?

I think they should get two new programs. I think they are capable of doing even better.

rosy14

Final Flight
I don't think repeating itself would be a problem, especially when you do some retouch, and change costume.

Last season, Ashely repeated her Moulin Rouge with and judges didn't mind to award her with World Silver;
Mao also converted her LP in the previous season into her SP in the Olympic year.

Ad it disn't bode well, for Mao.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
But Mao did well in her sp. It is in the lp she made mistakes. And still overall, Silver at an Olympics is her highest accomplishment.

When a skater returns to an old program because a new program in a new season did not deliver expected results (Liza is an extreme example), it is different. Most of the time it didn't work out well, though not necessarily because of reusing a program. It is just a sign that the skater was struggling and blamed the program.

aa456

On the Ice
^ Caro went back to her Bolero for the Olympics and it worked out just fine for her

bobbob

Medalist
Yeah, I think anything they'd put out there would be amazing and I certainly would LOVE to see something new... When was the last time an OGM won with repeat programs? Probably did happen, but I'm not sure...

I don't think repeating programs should be something that is becoming the norm...sure someone had an injury, or something but I used to recall repeating a program was a cardinal sin that would kill your PCS, or artistry especially under 6.0. But it seems more common lately.

Duhamel/Radford seem to be repeating their Muse free skate, which is a terrible idea in my opinion. Muse idoesn't highlight their skating and their program in 2014-5 didn't seem to have to do with Muse at all. Maybe they will improve it? Muse just doesn't have the impact that something like Hometown Glory or something that Sui/Han or Savchenko/Massot's songs had this year...so it's hard to get very high PCS or high impact..

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Yes. I guess I'm in the minority, but although I like Sui/Han and feel they're getting better and better at emoting, this LP did nothing for me and I felt the previous years' programs suited them better.

UnChosen

On the Ice
I think they should keep their FS and change their SP, just to cut down on the time they need to spend practicing new choreography so that they can concentrate on practicing the SBS 3S and/or quad throw instead. Not to mention their spins and lifts so that they won't lose levels in the SP next year.

I simply do not think a new program will do much to help their score. Last year they skated a masterpiece perfectly and was less than a point PCS from D/R, and this year another masterpiece SP once again got barely any PCS advantage against S/M and T/M with mistakes. S/H essentially won completely on GOE and one too many mistakes from S/M.

The judges are clearly sending a message that they will put all the top skaters within 2 PCS points of each other on purpose so S/H would just be wasting their time changing both programs for no result.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am glad to see I am not alone. I feel music almost solely on its melody, and their lp music sounds boring and too slow to me, though seeing their performance was way better than just the music. But folks grow up with the music have a completely different feeling.

Yes. I guess I'm in the minority, but although I like Sui/Han and feel they're getting better and better at emoting, this LP did nothing for me and I felt the previous years' programs suited them better.