Skate Advice? | Golden Skate

Skate Advice?

ruiying

Rinkside
Hi, I'm currently in Jackson Elles (3.5 standard width - older stock/pre fusion?), and I've liked them well enough, but I've noticed that they're a bit wide and no matter how tight I lace them up, my ankle and ball of foot(?) seem to move quite a bit. This wasn't as much of an issue before, but as I've begun to work on basic jumps, its starting to feel less secure if that makes sense? At the suggestion of my coach, I put some insoles in and had the heel pinched, which has helped quite a bit with the movement in the ankle area, but it still feels like the top/ball(?) of foot still are floating around, so I've started to think about whether its time to start looking at new skates -- if you guys had any input about that? For reference, I'm 152cm and around 51kg -- not sure about exact level, but maybe somewhere around basic 6?, starting on single rotation jumps and spins. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi, I'm currently in Jackson Elles (3.5 standard width - older stock/pre fusion?), and I've liked them well enough, but I've noticed that they're a bit wide and no matter how tight I lace them up, my ankle and ball of foot(?) seem to move quite a bit. This wasn't as much of an issue before, but as I've begun to work on basic jumps, its starting to feel less secure if that makes sense? At the suggestion of my coach, I put some insoles in and had the heel pinched, which has helped quite a bit with the movement in the ankle area, but it still feels like the top/ball(?) of foot still are floating around, so I've started to think about whether its time to start looking at new skates -- if you guys had any input about that? For reference, I'm 152cm and around 51kg -- not sure about exact level, but maybe somewhere around basic 6?, starting on single rotation jumps and spins. Thanks for any help!
It's time for a proper fitting. Let us know whereabouts you are in the world and somebody will know just the right place for you to go. It sounds like Jackson might not be the right brand for you, or you could just be in the wrong size. Only a proper fitting will tell.

ruiying

Rinkside
It's time for a proper fitting. Let us know whereabouts you are in the world and somebody will know just the right place for you to go. It sounds like Jackson might not be the right brand for you, or you could just be in the wrong size. Only a proper fitting will tell.
Thanks for the reply! I originally got fitted for the Elles at a well known figure skating store near where I used to live in Canada, actually -- they traced my foot etc, but only had the Jacksons to try on at the time though, and I didn't have anything to compare it with 😅 Right now I'm in south eastern CT if that helps.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi and welcome. Riedell or Graf should work for you, but please get a professional fitting. If you need suggestions on where to go in your area, you may DM me.

Good luck! :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for the reply! I originally got fitted for the Elles at a well known figure skating store near where I used to live in Canada, actually -- they traced my foot etc, but only had the Jacksons to try on at the time though, and I didn't have anything to compare it with 😅 Right now I'm in south eastern CT if that helps.
Send a DM to @Ic3Rabbit and she'll sort you out with a proper fitter.

scottie99

Rinkside
My best recommendation, along with everyone else, is a fitting. I personally am an Edea person. They are what I skate best in, BUT people either love their Edeas or they hate them. There really is no in-between. If you want to try Edea's, I would go with the Overture. Another option would be Riedell skates. your level would probably be suitable for the Emerald or Stride boots. Again, a fitting where you can try on multiple brands may be the best option.