Skate Canada announces bid to host 2024 Worlds in Montreal | Golden Skate

Skate Canada announces bid to host 2024 Worlds in Montreal

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: Skate Canada will formally submit a bid in April of 2021 to host the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2024 in Montreal, Quebec. If successful, this will be Canada’s 11th time hosting the championships. Montreal was set to host the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2020 but was cancelled a week prior due to the pandemic. Canada last hosted the illustrious event in 2013 in London, Ontario.

The ISU World Figure Skating Championships® is the pinnacle event of the annual figure skating season moving around the globe, attracting more than 300 million television viewers worldwide and showcasing the 200 best athletes from 50 countries in four disciplines: men’s, ladies, pair and ice dance.

“We are thrilled to put forth Montreal as the host city for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2024 for consideration by the International Skating Union. Canada has an exceptional hosting history, and we would be honoured to hold the 2024 event,” said Leanna Caron, President, Skate Canada. “With all the diligence that went into planning the 2020 World Championships, the entire team is ready to welcome the world to Montreal in 2024. We have confidence that working with all government and municipal partners together with Patinage Quebec, we will deliver an excellent event in Montreal.”

“The ISU World Figure Skating Championships are a staple event. I am thrilled that Montréal was chosen to be the Canadian candidate to host its 2024 edition. I would like to underline Tourisme Montréal's contribution to this success as well as to the mobilization of the community. This much-anticipated international competition promises to be highly successful and to provide an excellent showcase for our metropolis,” stated Valérie Plante, mayor of Montréal.

In accordance with ISU regulations, Skate Canada will submit Montreal as the host city along with supporting documents in April 2021. The 2024 host will be determined by the ISU Council and a decision is expected later this year.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there a guarantee they will not fail again?

Excuse me? :scratch2:

you mean is there a guarantee that a deadly pandemic will not sweep the world, and that necessary health precautions will not be needed? And that responsible governments will not be forced to cancel potential superspreader events? No, there is not.

But I do hope Montréal gets Worlds again:hap10:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will be SO happy if Montreal is selected. 🇨🇦 It was such a disappointment last season, even though it was the right decision to cancel. They really deserve to have it for 2024. :pray: Boston was phenomenal, and I'd love going back there again.

Amei

Record Breaker
Excuse me? :scratch2:

you mean is there a guarantee that a deadly pandemic will not sweep the world, and that necessary health precautions will not be needed? And that responsible governments will not be forced to cancel potential superspreader events? No, there is not.

But I do hope Montréal gets Worlds again:hap10:

Well considering there has been a good number of bubble situation sporting events, i can understand people feeling like Canada jumped the gun and canceled worlds without really trying for an alternative solution and have hesitation about them getting worlds again.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well considering there has been a good number of bubble situation sporting events, i can understand people feeling like Canada jumped the gun and canceled worlds without really trying for an alternative solution and have hesitation about them getting worlds again.
given that *no one* was holding safe bubble events last mid-March and April (2020), given that bubble events have been far from “safe”, and given that over half a million people have died in my country, I do not understand that at all.

far from “jumping the gun”, the government of Québec and Skate Canada showed great foresight and concern for skaters, officials and attendees.

I think that organizations that have shown such respect for the science and for the participants should get the 2024 Worlds(y)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
given that *no one* was holding safe bubble events last mid-March and April (2020), given that bubble events have been far from “safe”, and given that over half a million people have died in my country, I do not understand that at all.

far from “jumping the gun”, the government of Québec and Skate Canada showed great foresight and concern for skaters, officials and attendees.

I think that organizations that have shown such respect for the science and for the participants should get the 2024 Worlds(y)
well you beat me to it... covid in Quebec was a brand new thing in early March. Nobody knew how to deal with it... but the governments made the right decision... I had tickets for the event. I had taken days off from work. I was upset for 2 days... then cases started to rise... people got sick.... people died... and the rest is history. I am so proud that the governing bodies (the city, the province and Skate Canada) managed things the way they did. BRAVO! Just for that, they deserve to host the games. At that point, if there is a need for a bubble, or any kind of public health measures, one can rest assured, they will be taken appropriately.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At that time, no one would have done, or even thought of, a "bubble situation." No one knew anything about the virus except that it was spreading rapidly and killing people. There were no alternatives, other than cancellation.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

🤔🤨 Are these comments for real?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So we should "punish" Montreal for not risking trying to make Worlds happen when there was a pandemic ramping up?

Montreal did try alternate solutions but nothing at the time was viable. Even the Montreal ice dancers were going to put on a show but had to cancel that for safety reasons.

And are we going to assume 2024 will be the same situation for Montreal or whoever hosts Worlds? Do you think Montreal was primed to have Worlds the way Stockholm was (having better knowledge of pandemic protocols and testing).

Come on now. Saying they "failed" is just an appalling statement to make.

Unless you mean they failed to put a bunch of skaters/coaches/officials/volunteers/spectators at risk by attempting to haphazardly conduct Worlds. In which case, yes, they massively failed to do that.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Montreal cancellation was heartbreaking, but at that point we didn't know what we didn't know (and I suppose we might still be able to say the same thing!). Even though the Chicago area is close by, I wondered if our borders would be closed, would they ground planes, and a whole other myriad of questions. They exercised caution which IMHO was the right thing to do.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The way it's going the US isn't going to get another Worlds until 2030. :frown: Is the USFS even trying to host another Worlds?

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
"Fail" I'm not exactly sure what you mean by using that word. They had no control over the travel restrictions that were imposed on many parts of the World. I couldn't have gone even if I had tickets. I'm sure they were disappointed as well that Worlds was cancelled but, it was out of their hands.

Last edited: