Skate Canada still on? | Golden Skate

Skate Canada still on?

rain

Record Breaker
Has anyone heard anything about the fate of Skate Canada, with the new COVID restrictions that have been put in place in the Ottawa region? There's nothing right now on the Skate Canada website, and the description of the restrictions didn't really make it clear if they would nix the event or not.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
To my knowledge Skate Canada announced it will proceed with a fan less event and the entries are restricted to skaters from Canada, or skaters from other countries that have been training in Canada this entire time.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
To my knowledge Skate Canada announced it will proceed with a fan less event and the entries are restricted to skaters from Canada, or skaters from other countries that have been training in Canada this entire time.
The OP is referring to changes in the alert level for the city of Ottawa that were just announced today that include shutting down a lot of sports-related activity.

As to the OP, there hasn't been any word yet. I've said before that I wouldn't be surprised if they had backup plans to move the event elsewhere (with no audience, there's not all that much you need to actually move), but we'll see.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Oh! I just read that, I didnt even know they were doing that. Hm yea I am not sure if this will be an exception to the rule or not. I think it could go either way, especially if testing is done prior to the event.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I did post the entries for this event in the events forum for Skate Canada as per their website, assuming its moving fwd.

rain

Record Breaker
Yeah, I wondered if they would be willing or able to move it. Quebec would be a no-go obviously, with their COVID situation right now, but there should be other options in Ontario in less populated areas.

I kinda wondered why they didn't schedule it in one of the other less populated provinces in the first place that are currently not COVID-heavy, but I imagine it's for minimal travel by athletes and coaches, with most being centred in the Quebec/Ontario corridor.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania

"The impacted activities include:

• Weight and cardio rooms
  • Fitness classes (including aquafitness and dance classes)
  • Indoor team sports – such as hockey, volleyball, basketball, and indoor soccer
  • Interactive exhibits at museums, galleries and cultural facilities
  • Food vending service at City facilities
The new restrictions will NOT impact:

• Public skating and skating lessons
  • Public swimming and swimming lessons
  • Before-and-after school programs"