Skate help | Golden Skate

Skate help

SkaiySkates

Spectator
Hi!
I'm a beginner adult currently in Jackson artistes that I got barely used second-hand. With my rink, before quarantine, having reidells for rentals the fact that my skates were a half size long for the bare basics I felt was kinda passable since they were at least significantly improved width wise (I should be in a boys 5.5/womens 7 wide) and therefore bearable to skate in, and no one ever commented on it for just usfs basic one level things but I feel like it's more than a little dangerous to do anything more than that in my skates.
A little about me, I'm about 5'3"/160 cm and 190lbs/86kg and 20 years old. I am working on losing weight, but I also have have super hypermobile ankles and repeated injuries which have improved with strength training but I still tend to need extra support even for just normal workouts and dance.
From looking at size charts and having my feet measured I should probably stick with Jackson's for now since my feet are so wide.
Would the debut fusions and an Aspire xp blade be way over booting and blading for me? Or given my weight and hypermobility would that probably be about right to get me through the next few levels of skills?

1111bm

Final Flight
I haven't skated in the Debuts, just tried them on recently, and I can't imagine they would overboot any adult (just my impression) and I weigh a lot less than you. They felt like I wouldn't even need a heat molding or have my ankles punched out.
They're stiff on the outside, but very soft and comfy on the inside and I thought it was a bit difficult to tie them tight enough that they gave me a snug fit (but that might be down to personal preference and the boots being new).

Honestly, going by which boots my fellow adult skaters wear, you could probably even go for the Premieres (I expect that at your age you will progress rather quickly).

I'm not sure though, if the Artistes have the same fit as the Debuts.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi!
I'm a beginner adult currently in Jackson artistes that I got barely used second-hand. With my rink, before quarantine, having reidells for rentals the fact that my skates were a half size long for the bare basics I felt was kinda passable since they were at least significantly improved width wise (I should be in a boys 5.5/womens 7 wide) and therefore bearable to skate in, and no one ever commented on it for just usfs basic one level things but I feel like it's more than a little dangerous to do anything more than that in my skates.
A little about me, I'm about 5'3"/160 cm and 190lbs/86kg and 20 years old. I am working on losing weight, but I also have have super hypermobile ankles and repeated injuries which have improved with strength training but I still tend to need extra support even for just normal workouts and dance.
From looking at size charts and having my feet measured I should probably stick with Jackson's for now since my feet are so wide.
Would the debut fusions and an Aspire xp blade be way over booting and blading for me? Or given my weight and hypermobility would that probably be about right to get me through the next few levels of skills?
Hi. Based on the info you provided a debut fusion would be too soft for you due to weight and also needing extra support for your ankle issues.

If you want to stick with Jackson, my suggestion would be nothing lighter/softer than a Premiere 2800. I'd pair that with an MK Galaxy blade.

Good luck! If you need any further help, you can come to my inbox/message me. :)

SkaiySkates

Spectator
Hi. Based on the info you provided a debut fusion would be too soft for you due to weight and also needing extra support for your ankle issues.

If you want to stick with Jackson, my suggestion would be nothing lighter/softer than a Premiere 2800. I'd pair that with an MK Galaxy blade.

Good luck! If you need any further help, you can come to my inbox/message me. :)
Okay, thanks! That's good to know. I've had a feeling I need to go much stiffer than someone smaller or even just without my joint and hypermobility issues would, I'm just also very cautious about not wanting to totally overdo it either 😅

SkaiySkates

Spectator
I haven't skated in the Debuts, just tried them on recently, and I can't imagine they would overboot any adult (just my impression) and I weigh a lot less than you. They felt like I wouldn't even need a heat molding or have my ankles punched out.
They're stiff on the outside, but very soft and comfy on the inside and I thought it was a bit difficult to tie them tight enough that they gave me a snug fit (but that might be down to personal preference and the boots being new).

Honestly, going by which boots my fellow adult skaters wear, you could probably even go for the Premieres (I expect that at your age you will progress rather quickly).

I'm not sure though, if the Artistes have the same fit as the Debuts.
Okay, thanks for the input!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Okay, thanks! That's good to know. I've had a feeling I need to go much stiffer than someone smaller or even just without my joint and hypermobility issues would, I'm just also very cautious about not wanting to totally overdo it either 😅
There are other options out there that could work for you and your feet, other brands. I've worn all brands of everything in skating LOL or at least tested them ;). Many here will tell you I'm the one they come looking for with boot questions or issues LOL, all my years of being in the sport has naturally made me the "brain" on these kinds of things. :ROFLMAO: I'm not here to lead you wrong on anything, the Jackson boots I suggested will be stiffer than you are used to and take a bit to break in enough to feel comfortable, but trust me they will be great support for your needs. Also, I suggested the MK blade because I'm not a fan of Aspire blades (too flat rocker) in general, and my go to would be John Wilson blades, but they don't have a blade for your level of skating. ;)

SkaiySkates

Spectator
Okay, thanks!
And I'm not opposed to other brands, I just know I have very wide feet (9 inches when I haven't been on them all day, and they swell to 9.25 by the end of my work days half the time) and that Jackson's tend to be amongst the widest without getting them punched out.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I would suggest that you also take the suggestions provided above and go to an actual fitter in your area as the tweaks of size/width, etc. are more nuanced than what anyone can provide to you on the forum. While you don't want to drastically overboot, it does sound like you need lots of support and Ic3Rabbit has made some good suggestions. Going to a fitter will help with warranty issues and if little adjustments are required, you can go see an actual person. Although its tempting to do your own measurements and go with that, there are so many dimensions to a foot that one cannot account for all of them with only 2 or 3 static measurements. A fitter will be able to see you in the boot, adjust little things to improve fit and comfort, and will be there to help you adjust things if they aren't quite right when you get on the ice.

As someone with exceptionally wide feet (that also swell) and similar body type, I will tell you that you will want to take into your feet swelling and let the fitter know this is an issue for you. And depending on the overall shape of your foot, you may end up needing customs (although this is a last resort - try going for stock first). I have wonky feet in 2 different widths so I had no choice.