Skate help | Golden Skate

Skate help

DreamRil

Spectator
Hi guys,

I'm 18, male, height about 6 feet, and weight around 65kg.
I started skating this year in about April 2022 and I absolutely love it, so I decided to get my own skate, which is Jackson Mystique. I don't have a fixed skating schedule and sometime I could skate for about 3 times a week, 1h each time, but sometime I can't even skate in a month depending on my school schedule.

I learned everything from friends or Youtube videos, and it turns out to me that I seem to learn a lot faster than regular skaters even without professional coaching. In 8 months, I can already jump the waltz jump and start to practice toe loop with a few successful attempts. But my skate definitely doesn't have enough support for me even if they aren't starting to break down yet. And now I'm looking for a new pair of skates that can give me enough support for all one-rotational jumps, which is my future goal. Since I'm an adult, I think it's maybe even better to have skated over my current skill level. So any recommendation for what skate I should get?
Brands and price don't matter too much as I see them as a long-term investment. It's unlikely that I can go to a skate shop since I'm so busy with school work, but with my current skate, I have a pretty good idea for my size.

FYI: I'm not gonna participate in any competition, of course, and I'm not gonna have a coach at least recently. But I love my current way of learning, and I love to challenge myself with new elements, so I'll keep learning new stuff and progress as long as I'm capable of it, my current goal is to keep improving my footwork and learn all one-rotational jumps and some spins soon, and maybe even double in the future.

Thank you in advance for all the help.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi guys,

I'm 18, male, height about 6 feet, and weight around 65kg.
I started skating this year in about April 2022 and I absolutely love it, so I decided to get my own skate, which is Jackson Mystique. I don't have a fixed skating schedule and sometime I could skate for about 3 times a week, 1h each time, but sometime I can't even skate in a month depending on my school schedule.

I learned everything from friends or Youtube videos, and it turns out to me that I seem to learn a lot faster than regular skaters even without professional coaching. In 8 months, I can already jump the waltz jump and start to practice toe loop with a few successful attempts. But my skate definitely doesn't have enough support for me even if they aren't starting to break down yet. And now I'm looking for a new pair of skates that can give me enough support for all one-rotational jumps, which is my future goal. Since I'm an adult, I think it's maybe even better to have skated over my current skill level. So any recommendation for what skate I should get?
Brands and price don't matter too much as I see them as a long-term investment. It's unlikely that I can go to a skate shop since I'm so busy with school work, but with my current skate, I have a pretty good idea for my size.

FYI: I'm not gonna participate in any competition, of course, and I'm not gonna have a coach at least recently. But I love my current way of learning, and I love to challenge myself with new elements, so I'll keep learning new stuff and progress as long as I'm capable of it, my current goal is to keep improving my footwork and learn all one-rotational jumps and some spins soon, and maybe even double in the future.

Thank you in advance for all the help.
Hi and welcome! There is alot to discuss here so I'm going to try to get it all in one post.

First of all, you need a coach. You are more than likely learning techniques wrong and wearing a Mystique as an adult of your height/weight stats, you're going to get injured. Injury is already a factor with being an adult and bodily stats wearing your current boot that's not stiff enough and not made for an adult and skills in first place, but then add in your online learning and you aren't helping your situation and increasing injury percentage. Get a coach, think of it as an investment in your future, and be aware you will have to relearn things b/c you need retaught with proper technique, b/c it will only come back to bite you in the end if you continue on the way that you are.

Next, go see a proper pro fitter. You cannot fit yourself, a pro fitter knows and does things that you cannot to assure you have the right brand, style etc of boot and that your blades are mounted properly for your particular foot and technique needs on the ice.

With my expertise and a few others here with their own, we can give you ideas of boots/ blades but you have to give us more than height/weight. We need to actually know about your feet. Type, where they are wider or narrow, et al. Do you have any foot issues and so on? Do you supinate, or pronate or neither?!

Let us know, and please take this post and our suggestions seriously. I (knowing and having used the tech services of many around the world), and a few others can suggest proper fitters if you let us know about where you are located.

Good luck! :D

gorgonzola

Spectator
Adding on to what @Ic3Rabbit has said from the point of view of an adult skater who started after you and got to all the doubles (where you say you want to go eventually).
  • Skating was more forgiving in the beginning and the affordances I had on my singles disappeared when it came time to do the higher-level elements. It is important to learn things as correctly as possible earlier. Not to mention the extra added time it is going to take to unlearn the habits learned on easier elements that make the higher-level elements more difficult than they need to be. Skating is already hard, and we don't need to make it harder.
  • As a corollary to the above, subpar teaching/technique on my axel led to an injury that put me out of jumps for 4 months. I've corrected this since then, but I lost time because of it. We want you to avoid the very real things like this.
  • I've had several adult skaters ask me for advice/mention something they saw on YouTube when something wasn't quite working for them, and my response was always a variation of "ask your coach/be honest with your coach". This is because I'm not a coach, I don't know what works for their body, and neither does YouTube. It was disheartening to see the inevitable frustration that ensued when precision really mattered, while also becoming a hidden cost that impacted their skating.
Not everyone's body is the same and everyone has different goals but do consider getting a coach if you can like @Ic3Rabbit said. It's not just for the Olympics. Welcome to skating!!! 🎉🎉🎉

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I used to coach. Taking on adults who have "taught themselves" via YouTube and copying other skaters was - and actually still is - one of my worst nightmares. I've also seen some horrific injuries. Please join a class to get the basics right, even if you don't take private lessons. It will really pay off.

DreamRil

Spectator
First of all, I appreciate all the help.

I used to have a coach and had about 10 lessons, which allows me to get down some of the basic elements. However, I'm studying abroad in Canada, my current situation doesn't allow me to get a coach in any circumstances within at least in 6 months. I know Youtube is not gonna work well but that's the best I currently have.

What should I do then?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

I used to have a coach and had about 10 lessons, which allows me to get down some of the basic elements. However, I'm studying abroad in Canada, my current situation doesn't allow me to get a coach in any circumstances within at least in 6 months. I know Youtube is not gonna work well but that's the best I currently have.

What should I do then?
Okay. So, you're 18 and an adult and make your own decisions. In this situation, please get fitted properly for the right boots and blades and then take great care who you copy to learn from. Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

What should I do then?
And why can't you get a coach, even temporarily in Canada? Skating is a national treasure and sport in Canada lol, coaches everywhere. It's better than online. I mean, you didn't even mention initially that you had a coach for ten lessons, which definitely isn't enough for "learning some basic skills."

starryskate

Rinkside
I'm from Canada, so I thought I'd chip in. Just take CANSkate classes. That's about CAD 200 for 3 months of proper instruction, and most clubs let you pay in installments. I took that route before getting a private coach and I still occasionally do group classes. It's a fun way of meeting new people, too!

DreamRil

Spectator
And why can't you get a coach, even temporarily in Canada? Skating is a national treasure and sport in Canada lol, coaches everywhere. It's better than online. I mean, you didn't even mention initially that you had a coach for ten lessons, which definitely isn't enough for "learning some basic skills."
I'm in my high school senior year and I'm very busy with my academic & university applications cuz I'm applying to very competitive programs in Ivy League schools. Also, I'm in a boarding school and there is no ice rink near my school (my school rink doesn't have coach, of course), and no one can drive me to any rink in the city. So I can't take lessons before my graduation at least.

DreamRil

Spectator
I'm from Canada, so I thought I'd chip in. Just take CANSkate classes. That's about CAD 200 for 3 months of proper instruction, and most clubs let you pay in installments. I took that route before getting a private coach and I still occasionally do group classes. It's a fun way of meeting new people, too!
Thx, I'll definitely take a look at that!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm in my high school senior year and I'm very busy with my academic & university applications cuz I'm applying to very competitive programs in Ivy League schools. Also, I'm in a boarding school and there is no ice rink near my school (my school rink doesn't have coach, of course), and no one can drive me to any rink in the city. So I can't take lessons before my graduation at least.
Why would a school have a rink but not a coach? Or is it a hockey thing?

DreamRil

Spectator
Why would a school have a rink but not a coach? Or is it a hockey thing?
It's mainly for hockey. The teams have training almost every morning and afternoon during the weekdays, and for weekends they'll rent the rink to outsiders and they'll have hockey games as well. I only have 1h of free skating every week, and somethings none, and of course, there is no FS coach.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Then do CanSkate as someone else mentioned upthread or hate to say it but you may have to put skating off for a while and concentrate on school until you can get a coach.
Good luck with school and being accepted into a University! :)

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Also, I would recommend getting yourself to a proper fitter while you can. I'm no expert, but I'd assume that Canada has plenty of them, and it will be easier (and potentially cheaper) to get yourself proper skates while you know that there are decent fitters around. Depending on where you go to school, it might be harder to find a fitter.

scottie99

Rinkside
I know everyone is recommending a coach, or, less recommending, but more telling/demanding. Not everyone has the money for a coach. If you don't want to compete, and if you don't care if things may be done slightly wrong, or slower, then continue what you are doing and have fun doing it. You can absolutely skate without a coach. Recreational sports exist!

Now to answer your original question, I would definitely recommend getting a higher-level boot. If you like the way the mystique fits and feels, look into a higher lever Jackson. Maybe the Elle? Freestyle?

People can come at me for saying you don't need a coach, but you know what? Let them. You do not need a coach to have fun skating and learn skills. Not every skater has the dream to become a professional and do everything perfectly.

alvina9894

Final Flight
I understand getting a coach is luxary. If situation doesn't allow, I'd recommend putting aside certain more injury-prone elements like jumps until you can get proper instructions. It's also a good idea to record your skating and review to improve.

However, a pair of properly fitted skates is a no-negociation. I recommend you to go to a pro shop, and if that's not possible, look for virtual fitting services from pro shops. You need to upgrade your boot to around Edea Chorus / Risport RF3, and your blade to something like Coronation Ace / MK Pro.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I know everyone is recommending a coach, or, less recommending, but more telling/demanding. Not everyone has the money for a coach. If you don't want to compete, and if you don't care if things may be done slightly wrong, or slower, then continue what you are doing and have fun doing it. You can absolutely skate without a coach. Recreational sports exist!

Now to answer your original question, I would definitely recommend getting a higher-level boot. If you like the way the mystique fits and feels, look into a higher lever Jackson. Maybe the Elle? Freestyle?

People can come at me for saying you don't need a coach, but you know what? Let them. You do not need a coach to have fun skating and learn skills. Not every skater has the dream to become a professional and do everything perfectly.
Ever think that those of us (and there's more of us than one or two who know what they're talking about), know that not everyone wants to be a pro or elite and we do not recommend everything based on that. EVERYONE needs a coach even if it's a learn to skate coach (we aren't always recommending a private expensive coach), b/c basics freaking matter too, even if they have no hopes of dreams of successful competitive careers. If one messes up or keep doing the basics wrong, it leads to injury.
Please stop coming on every single thread and leading skaters or potential skaters wrong or towards possible/probable injury. None of us want anyone coming into the sport no matter if rec or not to get injured or have ill fitting skates or learn incorrectly!!!!!
If they weren't half serious about learning then they wouldn't be here asking for PROFESSIONAL advice.