Skateable, Never-Before-Used Music | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skateable, Never-Before-Used Music

Layback11

Record Breaker
1) As some of the others I think Harry Potter would be interesting, I'm pretty surprised it is not very popular among skaters.

2) Could you tell where exactly you've found it? I follow gymnastics but not so closely, still I think I've heard this somewhere already and I'm really curious :D

It was Dutch gymnast Lieke Wevers' floor music for the last two seasons! :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I love this song called "Running Scared" from the Sound Track to the Movie. I used this song to try out for Captain of my college Color Guard and I got the job. I think it would work well for a young and powerful skater like Alexei KRASNOZHON. Running Scared by Fee Waybill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmr1osDSeBg

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
I love this song called "Running Scared" from the Sound Track to the Movie. I used this song to try out for Captain of my college Color Guard and I got the job. I think it would work well for a young and powerful skater like Alexei KRASNOZHON. Running Scared by Fee Waybill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmr1osDSeBg

Interestingly, I was thinking of the Joan Baez movie themesong 'Rejoice in the Sun' from the 1970s sci-fi classic Silent Running...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkF05D-NJMU. There is an instrumental reprise that could be cut in...

There are likely a number of older moive themes that would work that haven't been used due to vocals. Movie soundtracks often work well in the big venues as they were intended for theatres. And they might provide a storyline for those skaters that seek fairly literal interpretations in their programs.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Interestingly, I was thinking of the Joan Baez movie themesong 'Rejoice in the Sun' from the 1970s sci-fi classic Silent Running...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkF05D-NJMU. There is an instrumental reprise that could be cut in...

There are likely a number of older moive themes that would work that haven't been used due to vocals. Movie soundtracks often work well in the big venues as they were intended for theatres. And they might provide a storyline for those skaters that seek fairly literal interpretations in their programs.

TGee........That song made me cry :sad21: That song is sweet, light, and powerful all at the same time. It needs a great skater and I could see it working for a novice level skater who is playing a child running in the field or, a Senior Lady who can be the story teller. It needs a theatrical, mature skater. I still think the best story tellers we have currently are Med, Osmond, Wagner, and Leonova. I'm sure there are others but those skaters are the first to enter my mind.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I never understood why Mirai Nagasu was told the music from Avatar wouldn't be a good fit for figure skating ("it's not iconic" blah blah blah) because I've wanted somebody to use music from that movie for years.

I think the music from Avatar is great and I think they told Mirai not to use it because it was too soon after Armin's breakout season which featured his very successful Avatar LP.

katha

On the Ice
Beethoven's Tempest sonata, the third movement in particular. So beautiful, but I can't remember anyone doing it. It's always Moonlight, Moonlight, Moonlight.
Schubert's "Death and the Maiden" string quartet. Haunting, dramatic music.
Philip Glass' soundtrack for "The Hours".

But we all know that it's gonna be Phantom and Carmen in the end. :biggrin: Particularly for an Olympic season.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Beethoven's Tempest sonata, the third movement in particular. So beautiful, but I can't remember anyone doing it. It's always Moonlight, Moonlight, Moonlight.
Schubert's "Death and the Maiden" string quartet. Haunting, dramatic music.
Philip Glass' soundtrack for "The Hours".

Christina Gao used Hours for her SP in 2009-2010. An Austrian skater also used it during the 2013-2014 season.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I was watching both How to Train Your Dragon movies the other day and was totally amazed by the score and thought someone like Hanyu would do a great job with it :)

Layback11

Record Breaker
I was watching both How to Train Your Dragon movies the other day and was totally amazed by the score and thought someone like Hanyu would do a great job with it :)

I agree! The score was what stood out to me most about that movie (and it was actually great, so that's saying something). Boyang Jin used it for his FS the last two seasons: https://youtu.be/e78yvOp4cHo

TGee

Record Breaker

I am aware of it being skated to at lower levels even though it's quite "strong".

In fact, there are a number of "boy friendly" movie themes in use. Often movie themes are viewed as too "strong" for girls at the lower levels, but there is a view that boys can handle it. (No expectations of princessy skating to overcome.)

But as the number of boys is relatively small, they don't get the same heavy use as Disney's Frozen or any number of girl favourites.

googles

Spectator
Very long time lurker, first time post...here it goes.

To my knowledge, no one has skated to the soundtrack from "The Man from Snowy River", that music always seemed like it would be good for a long program, if the tracks could be cut together successfully. Also, the soundtrack to, "The Triplets of Bellville", I know Kristi Yamaguchi skated to one of the songs in 2004, but it might be fun as an ice dance exhibition.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Very long time lurker, first time post...here it goes.

To my knowledge, no one has skated to the soundtrack from "The Man from Snowy River", that music always seemed like it would be good for a long program, if the tracks could be cut together successfully. Also, the soundtrack to, "The Triplets of Bellville", I know Kristi Yamaguchi skated to one of the songs in 2004, but it might be fun as an ice dance exhibition.

As an Australian, I'd love someone to skate to the Man From Snowy River!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Have you ever heard a piece of music that (to your knowledge) has never been used in a skating program before, but seems like it would work really well? I'm really curious about this. :)

This is the piece that gave me the idea for this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcihcYEOeic
It's an absolutely gorgeous piece and I think it would make a fantastic SP (probably too repetitive for a FS). Ludovico Einaudi's music is semi-well known in skating, so I'm not sure why it hasn't been used before. If you follow gymnastics, you'll probably know where I found it. ;)

Einaudi is so great! They have many great musics. I heard his name at first because of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1euIAKGZp4 "Love is a mistery" -another great piece of music... After this I listened all of his music on Youtube.

blackey

On the Ice
personally, saint saens' piano concerto no.2. I always think the beginning of third movement is very good for stsq..
(and I think it fit hanyu very well lol)
there are actually quite a lot great music never been used before...it's such a broad question

besides, does anyone know how to find a program by the piece of music?