Skaters Ethnicity | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skaters Ethnicity

momjudi

On the Ice
I know Sasha gave Evan his but I don't know about Johnny's. I do remember reading that Johnny still was practicing Kabbalah last year.

gio

Medalist
I don't think "Askmen dot com" is a very authoritative source on linguistic matters. :laugh:

Who's hotter, Sasha or Tanith? -- NOW were getting to their area of expertise. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :rofl: You're right!

I guess what she said in her Q/A is the most reliable source!! According to Sasha, she can understand it pretty well and she speaks a mediocre Russian and needs more practice.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the Reeds' mother is Japanese and their Dad is American

per the article in the IFS article from the edition with Evan on the cover (I just reread it today lol)

Daniel_Craig

Rinkside
Rohene Ward is half Puerto Rican and half african-american. He has the type of hair that african-americans have. I see him twice a week.

What about Chris and Cathy Reed? They're names are not Japanese.

I think Patrice Lauzon is part native american.

Olivier Schoenfelder is part German

Is Patrice Archetto part italian? Archetto sounds italian.

The Reed's mother is Japanese. Their father is Caucasian-American.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
There are also a number of Jewish elite skaters. Not counting those representing Israel, those include:
Cohen
Galler-Rabinowitz
Silverstein
Hughes sisters - 1/2 Jewish
Agosto - 1/2 Jewish
Melissa Gregory - 1/2 Jewish
Slutskaya - 1/2 Jewish
Averbukh
Apparently Baiul is also 1/4 Jewish

sillylionlove

Medalist
There are also a number of Jewish elite skaters. Not counting those representing Israel, those include:
Cohen
Galler-Rabinowitz
Silverstein
Hughes sisters - 1/2 Jewish
Agosto - 1/2 Jewish
Melissa Gregory - 1/2 Jewish
Slutskaya - 1/2 Jewish
Averbukh
Apparently Baiul is also 1/4 Jewish

I was just about to beak out in song singing Adam Sandler's Hanakauh song!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

camion

On the Ice
I think Mirai knows only rudimentary Japanese. She has a typical American intonation pattern when she speaks it, where she stresses syllables too long or unevenly. The word she didn't understand was "koushikisen" (not shosen) which means something along the lines of "official competition"- the reporters were asking her how she felt competing in her first official meet in Japan. Anyways, I think it's a hard word to decipher when you're only 14, but even more difficult when you don't know any kanji (Chinese characters) because if you know some kanji u could kind of figure out what some of the words are implying even if you don't know the exact meaning of the word. I believe Mirai only knows the phonetic writing system of Japan. But yeah being multilingual is a bit confusing if you try to apply the syntax, grammar rules, & diction of one language over the other. My japanese cousins say I have an American accent when I speak Japanese, but my korean cousins say I have a Japanese accent when I speak Korean which kinda makes sense to me because my mom's Japanese & I talk to her more because she's around the house whereas I speak Korean with my dad only when he comes back from work. I read & write better in Korean though because it's phonetic-based like the alphabet. By the way does anybody know of a skater who was adopted from Korea? I think her first name was Anne?

camion

On the Ice
Thanks oleada.:rock: I'm gonna surf the internet for her.

I forgot to mention this but a lot of ppl in Japan speculate that Miki Ando's heritage is of Korean ancestry because the kanji used to write the "ki" in the name "Miki" is the character that means "princess" which is commonly used in Korean names. But either way her nationality is Japanese (duh-sorry for stating an obvious).

ks777

Record Breaker
Thanks oleada.:rock: I'm gonna surf the internet for her.

I forgot to mention this but a lot of ppl in Japan speculate that Miki Ando's heritage is of Korean ancestry because the kanji used to write the "ki" in the name "Miki" is the character that means "princess" which is commonly used in Korean names. But either way her nationality is Japanese (duh-sorry for stating an obvious).

Yeah people do sepculate that Miki might be Korean heritage but Miki(Princess) isn't uncommon in Japan either. I doubt that she has the korean heritage.