Skaters that you felt would never go to the Olympics but ended up going | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skaters that you felt would never go to the Olympics but ended up going

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I strongly disagree. Look at it this way. Even Yuna, who was pretty much competent with all the triples (sans triple Axel) took her triple loop out when she knew that she would probably not have great luck with it.

Same with Katarina Witt at 1988 Olympics LP and to a point, similar with Hanyu at CoC 2014 when he had to re-strategise his whole program.

As much as we try to paint a picture of skaters or athletes aiming and needing to give it their all, personally I think understating the need for strategic/tactical approach overlooks how important that aspect is, being just as important if not more.

And yes, I still feel if she had done those lower level triples clean and gone clean, Larkyn did not have much in her arsenal to challenge that.
Larkin was only missing a triple lutz.... and had a solid triple flip. So what? Chartrand had huge issues with the flip... let's say she takes that one out, she still needs her lutz, which used to be her money jump. Yuna taking a loop jump but having great flip and lutz jumps is another story.

The point I was making here is that Alaine was a former Canadian champion. She wanted to go to the games and be part of the team event. Finishing third was NOT the objective here.

Warwick360

Medalist
Larkin was only missing a triple lutz.... and had a solid triple flip. So what? Chartrand had huge issues with the flip... let's say she takes that one out, she still needs her lutz, which used to be her money jump. Yuna taking a loop jump but having great flip and lutz jumps is another story.

The point I was making here is that Alaine was a former Canadian champion. She wanted to go to the games and be part of the team event. Finishing third was NOT the objective here.

But the point I was trying to make was, Larkin would probably not have matched the PCS, because Chartrand was a former champion as so mentioned by yourself. If she at any point thought that she was beating Daleman and Osmond that season then she really did need better voices advising her. But I think surely she was more aware about it than we are giving her credit here.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But the point I was trying to make was, Larkin would probably not have matched the PCS, because Chartrand was a former champion as so mentioned by yourself. If she at any point thought that she was beating Daleman and Osmond that season then she really did need better voices advising her. But I think surely she was more aware about it than we are giving her credit here.
Chartrand had a terrible season. Larkin had a good one... and was getting good PCS because her style was on point... so maybe it was even a struggle for Chartrand to save her spot and she needed to try everything possible .... who knows ? It's always easy to coach after the fact you know :)

Warwick360

Medalist
Chartrand had a terrible season. Larkin had a good one... and was getting good PCS because her style was on point... so maybe it was even a struggle for Chartrand to save her spot and she needed to try everything possible .... who knows ? It's always easy to coach after the fact you know :)
Not trying to coach her with hindsight. Just wishing she had gone with Rika Kihira's post injury approach.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not trying to coach her with hindsight. Just wishing she had gone with Rika Kihira's post injury approach.
but she wasn't injured.. see what i mean? Rika had no choice... Alaine tried to do her best... and for what it's worth, perhaps her practices were stellar. Alaine has had amazing performances in the past... and sometimes though, she skated nervously. I am sad for her that she couldn't make it when it truly counted... the reality is that it is what happens to most skaters. These days, Canada has only one spot for women. Maddie has been the front runner but not by far and not doing that well either (except at the team event at the Olympics where truly, she was stellar). From looking at the various events this summer, there are a handful if not more, of women in Canada who are all able to beat Maddie on a good day. So in a couple years from now... who will go to the games? It hurts even more for Alaine because there were 3 spots... but let's also celebrate Larkyn for making it happen. She really seized her opportunities.

Last edited:

Warwick360

Medalist
but she wasn't injured.. see what i mean? Rika had no choice... Alaine tried to do her best... and for what it's worth, perhaps her practices were stellar. Alaine has had amazing performances in the past... and sometimes though, she skated nervously. I am sad for her that she couldn't make it when it truly counted... the reality is that it is what happens to most skaters. These days, Canada has only one spot for women. Maddie has been the front runner but not by far and not doing that well either (except at the team event at the Olympics where truly, she was stellar). From looking at the various events this summer, there are a handful if not more, of women in Canada who are all able to take beat Maddie on a good day. So in a couple years from now... who will go to the games? It hurts even more for Alaine because there were 3 spots... but let's also celebrate Larkyn for making it happen. She really seized her opportunities.
I don't feel it was much of a seizing. I know we'll disagree on this but my feeling is, in the case of Mirai Nagasu, that I can see as seizing. For Larkyn who couldn't get out of the SP cut off at Olympics, it was more of a hand over, in my opinion, especially when taking into account what Chartrand was capable of when skating well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't feel it was much of a seizing. I know we'll disagree on this but my feeling is, in the case of Mirai Nagasu, that I can see as seizing. For Larkyn who couldn't get out of the SP cut off at Olympics, it was more of a hand over, in my opinion, especially when taking into account what Chartrand was capable of when skating well.
I agree.. it was both I think.. carpe diem for larkyn a d hand over from alaine

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
You are correct. I was disappointed with the selection outcome.

Jason finished a very solid 6th at the Olympics, better than Adam's 10th, so in hindsight it wasn't as bad so far as the final standings went. What was lost was the opportunity for Ilia to have his first Olympic experience. We recall that Nathan's first Olympics didn't go to plan, but he learned from that and went on to dominate his second. Will USFSA ultimately regret not giving the nod to Ilia? Who can say, time will tell.

And while I am certainly aware of the selection criteria, it doesn't mean I have to like them. And I don't.
THE USFA could have sent Ilia to the Olympics to give him experience, a chance at a medal and not jeopordize a bad skate and costing the US 3 men at worlds by sending tried and true Jason Brown to worlds. Who honestly is a wonderful skater to watch though a bit lucky that he somehow (kind of like Katarina Witt) somehow decent skaters artistically and athletically like Keegan et al he beat despite no quad. Keegan for example artistically or skating skills isnt far behind Jason though different imho.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

But Larkin under the new scoring system had slow, laboured and smallish jumps. Remember the great mediocre skater who dominated the Canadian figure skating scene before Jennifer Robinson. Even pre new scoring system even if she did six or seven triples they were dinged for being underwhelming. Chartrand was still top 8 possible Larkin I don't think made it out of qualifying.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But Larkin under the new scoring system had slow, laboured and smallish jumps. Remember the great mediocre skater who dominated the Canadian figure skating scene before Jennifer Robinson. Even pre new scoring system even if she did six or seven triples they were dinged for being underwhelming. Chartrand was still top 8 possible Larkin I don't think made it out of qualifying.
robinson's issue is that she couldn't land on one foot... and one year, she edged chouinard for the one spot at worlds... so yeah... i do remember... :)

nguyhm

On the Ice
As for Ashley and Mirai. I always thought they'd both be going. It's sad that judges had to make a choice during those years. When you win a National Title, you Expect to go to the Olympics and we all saw how devastated Mirai was when they chose Ashley for the team and left at home. I realize they weren't champions the years they didn't go but, I'm sure it stung just as hard.
I was surprised and heartbroken too but the consolation prize was Mirai fighting back, adding the 3Axle and being the first American woman to deliver a (clean) 3Axle at the Olympics (team event long program).

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think he meant Jen Robinson... but i may be wrong... I read it, this way :

Remember the great mediocre skater who dominated the Canadian figure skating scene before : Jennifer Robinson
You know how I feel about Jennifer...:love: I remember she had to answer a question that I felt was inappropriate. They asked her if she felt extra pressure knowing that if she had a bad skate, it could cost Canada a world spot.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back on topic...
I always respected Jennifer for maximizing her talent. She had her flaws but fought back as hard as she could and had a respectable career. At least that is how I remember her.