Skaters who have disappeared from the face of the Earth | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skaters who have disappeared from the face of the Earth

Welcome to Golden Skate, Flutterby (great name, LOL!)

Nelidina was reported to have had some sort of nervous breakdown and retired from competition. I saw her do a triple Axel at Skate America in 2002, but I haven't heard anything more about her since.

Mathman :)

ATW27

On the Ice
Regarding Lavrenchuk (who I miss, along with Malinina and Lautowa), I once found something not too long ago on the internet that seem to indicate that she was coaching or something like that; not sure if it was in Ukraine or not.

As for Nelidina, I remember that a poster on FSU reported that the Russian media was saying that she suffered a nervous breakdown after the 2003 Worlds. The story goes that, with her triple Axel, her coach convinced her that she would be the next big thing in women's figure skating. When that failed to happen that year, she had the breakdown - which is why she withdrew from 2003 Skate America in Reading. Finaly, after coming in last or next to last at 2003 Cup of Russia, she left the sport for good. I think around the same time Stanislav Timchenko did, as well, coincidentally. As I said, that's what I heard.

Andy W.

Last edited:

candycane

Rinkside
Tonichelle said:
Victor and his wife have an ice dance program in Canada, AFAIK

Apparently as of 1 Oct 2005 Canada's silver medalists junior ice dancers Hann-McCurdy and Coreno moved to Vancouver, B.C. and are Victor Kraatz's very first dance team. I certainly wish them the best of luck. Can't wait to see them at Nationals in Ottawa.

Sk8harvest

Rinkside
Naomi Nari Nam

Sylvia said:
Nam missed qualifying for 2004 Nationals in singles in November 2003. She and her new pair partner, Themi Leftheris, are scheduled to compete at Pacific Coast Sectionals next week -- placing among the top 4 senior pair teams there will qualify them for 2006 Nationals in St. Louis.

I posted on this in the Nationals folder - Naomi and Themi did qualify for Nats. I hope they do well enough to have their programs televised. I would love to see Naomi skate again. :)

Evdokia

On the Ice
About Olga Markova – she is also working as a coach at Moskvitch (Kudriavtsev’s rink), one of her little girls seems to be very talented. :)

Vjacheslav Zagarodnjuk – he coached Vitalij Danilchenko in 04/05.

Vika Volchkova – she had knee surgery in September 05 and is probably still recovering from it (since she she is no longer listed for CoR). :frown:

Anyone knows what Natalja Lebedeva and Alexander Fadejew are up these days? :think:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
IFS had a nice story on Fadeev a couple of years ago. He married a former British figure skater and if I recall correctly, both were coaching in US.

Yana

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Remember Tiffany Chin?

Did she ever resolve her muscular imbalance issue - does anyone know? I never really received an understanding of just what a "muscular imbalance" suggested....

Whatever it was, it seemed very disturbing to Tiffany and to her career.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I don't know if she ever "resolved" the imbalance or not, but she did go pro following a 4th place showing at the 87 Nats, competed in World Pro a couple of times, did OK. Then she popped up a few years ago as the coach of Bebe Liang, but she recently had a baby and I don't believe is currently coaching.

Lanie

On the Ice
Tiffany Chin still coaches at my rink, last I saw. She's still around there, anyway!

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
This might not be a big mystery to some of you more knowledgable types, but I've often wondered whatever happened to Linda Fratiane and Debbie Thomas. (What can I say -- I always rooted for the underdogs!)

Also, I haven't seen Rory much anymore either...

Any good scoops appreiciated!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
DJStuCrew said:
This might not be a big mystery to some of you more knowledgable types, but I've often wondered whatever happened to Linda Fratiane and Debbie Thomas. (What can I say -- I always rooted for the underdogs!)

Also, I haven't seen Rory much anymore either...

Any good scoops appreiciated!

Debi Thomas has become an orthopedic surgeon; I have heard that she practices at Children's Hospital in L.A. Linda Fratiane, I have heard, is coaching in El Segundo, with Frank Carroll, but I don't know if this is true or not.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Tonia Kwiatkowski got married and still lives and coaches in the Cleveland area at the Winterhurst FSC. I presume she still coaches with Carol Heiss Jenkins, who is Miki Ando's current coach. Also listed at the club site is Caryn Kadavy. I know she also got married but I don't know offhand where she's living or if she's at Winterhurst fulltime.

JOHIO2

Medalist
iluvtodd,

definitely could be true. After all, Erie is less than two hours away from Cleveland.