Skating in the 1970's | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating in the 1970's

labgoat

On special assignment for work, see you in August
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember him, too. I think he skated to Rocky, and didn't he also have a highly ranked brother? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
That would be James ”Jimmie” Santee.
Together they did a podcast called the loop brothers named after a Blues Brothers show number they were known for.

woo hoo - blur spins !

Last edited:

labgoat

On special assignment for work, see you in August
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Once I was up in a lift and realized I was now looking in the window of the office and seeing myself on his monitor. I was so fascinated I forgot to do my part in the position change and got unceremoniously dumped on the ice by my partner saying "What were you doing up there, writing your grocery list?!" :rofl::palmf:
I live for stories like this. Thank you for sharing this. I’m glad you didn’t get hurt.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That would be James ”Jimmie” Santee.
Together they did a podcast called the loop brothers named after a Blues Brothers show number they were known for.

woo hoo - blur spins !

You found footage of the Loop Brothers? Yay!

Jimmie used to do Skate Radio, which I sadly miss. I will have to bug TPTB about having it again.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I live for stories like this. Thank you for sharing this. I’m glad you didn’t get hurt.
Not a chance with him. Big hulking guy, huge hands and muscles like boulders, and the ideal chivalrous personality for pairs. "Protect the girl if it kills you." He just gathered me down into his arms and plunked me on the ice on two feet, and stood scolding me for giving him a scare, while I was pointing up at the office window and giggling "We're on TV!"

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Ooh I didn't think I'd see that number with David and Jimmie Santee again. Thank you! And I remember watching Terry Kubicka on TV. I googled his name once and I believe he became a veterinarian.
And still good-looking, too. There's a photo of him in his clinic, with a thick mane of silver hair, hugging a Golden retriever. Hard to tell which is more handsome :love:;).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
How can we talk about skating in the 1970's without talking about Dorothy Hamill

And Dorothy in 1996

Such beautiful posture and beautiful edges :love:

I could even watch her ads for Vioxx in 2002 for those

and what about Toller Cranston???? Why has he not been mentioned?

theblade

On the Ice
Not a chance with him. Big hulking guy, huge hands and muscles like boulders, and the ideal chivalrous personality for pairs. "Protect the girl if it kills you." He just gathered me down into his arms and plunked me on the ice on two feet, and stood scolding me for giving him a scare, while I was pointing up at the office window and giggling "We're on TV!"
Wow, amazing. You were very, very lucky to work with someone so supportive and responsible. That makes a huge difference in a successful team.

Weathergal

Medalist
How can we talk about skating in the 1970's without talking about Dorothy Hamill

And Dorothy in 1996

Such beautiful posture and beautiful edges :love:

I could even watch her ad.s for Vioxx in 2002 for those

and what about Toller Cranston???? Why has he not been mentioned?

Toller. My first skating love❤️ (and yes, that is my avatar)

They did show him on Wide World of Sports. ;)
Dorothy Hamill was my first skating love. I don't know if I watched her on Wide World of Sports or not, but I certainly watched skating on there, all guided by the amazing Jim McKay.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had the Dorothy Hamill wedge cut for several years & loved it. The hair stylist tried for @ least 6 years to encourage me to go for a perm, which I finally did. So many people who've known me for a long time think that I was born with super curly hair (boy have I fooled them). :rofl:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I had the Dorothy Hamill wedge cut for several years & loved it. The hair stylist tried for @ least 6 years to encourage me to go for a perm, which I finally did. So many people who've known me for a long time think that I was born with super curly hair (boy have I fooled them). :rofl:
You're so lucky it suited you! I tried the cut once, fortunately in the summer off season. With a natural deep wave at chin level, the cut didn't want to lie close, it stuck straight out after every spin. And with red hair, very pale skin, and a long thin neck, I looked more like a peculiar weed than Dorothy Hamill. :palmf:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
This thread is an absolute delight! Thank you to all contributors! I was not alive in the 70s, but it is a LOVELY time in skating when people had more TIME to be artistic in competitive programs (not that they all were, but the opportunity was there for skaters who were so inclined).
And speaking of Toller Cranston:

Graduation Ball SP 1975

Still amazing!

Toller. My first skating love❤️ (and yes, that is my avatar)

They did show him on Wide World of Sports. ;)
@el henry, I can't remember if Andrew T. has listed Toller among skaters he admires, but when I saw the way Toller moved his head and body in this video, I instantly thought of Andrew T. The commitment to movement and the musicality reminded me of Andrew. If only Andrew didn't have to do the requirements of today's programs, he might look like this. (I am well aware that Toller was a trailblazer for skaters who came after and that, before him, no one skated like this. Without Toller, who knows if there would be a Jason or an Andrew T.) It is interesting when you think of current skaters when watching past skaters. It's rare and a HUGE compliment to said current skaters.

Has anyone mentioned John Curry yet? I LOVE his Don Quixote and his Nocturne.
(I posted 2 Don Quixotes because one has Dick Button commentary and one has no commentary. And the camera angles are different in each. I can't decide if I prefer hearing Dick commentating or no commentary. Gosh, I miss Dick's excitement).

mrrice

Record Breaker
I definitely remember Dorothy Hammill. She was featured in several commercials after her win. I was very young and still thought the only time skating was on tv was for the Olympics. The Battle of Brian's changed everything.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Telnet Albright had a magnificent mazurka at 00:27 of this video

I missed this video when it was first posted. When I was in my early teens, before I got into pairs, my singles coach had a copy of this film (from a pre-TV news reel, I think) and made her girl pupils learn the program as a sort of "moves in the field" exercise. It has all the basic small jumps later used as inbetween moves, and Tenley's edge control makes the footwork look so light and easy! The hardest move was the back shoot-the-duck up into a back spiral, all on one foot. I'd hate to admit the number of times I ended up sitting on the ice trying to do that. Killed the thigh muscle and wobbled, caught the heel of the blade on the ice as it passed through, pitched forward on the picks as the free leg swung up into the spiral....I'd mercifully forgotten all that until I saw this again.o_O:dbana: