Sled Dog/Mushing 2009/2010 Thread... | Golden Skate

Sled Dog/Mushing 2009/2010 Thread...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Gonna try and keep everyone updated on the races this year... it's still a little early for the competitive season, but training is underway. And if I end up talking to myself again this year, oh well, at least I'll have fun.:laugh:

There was an article in my hometown's paper about training and the dangers they're already facing. Mainly: porcupines!

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stories/100609/new_499317058.shtml

Danale

On the Ice
Cool :)
I just came back from summer vacation in Alaska a few weeks ago, and the sled dogs experience was so awesome.
We went to the Seavey's racing team, near Seward, heard crazy Iditarod stories and cuddled some puppies. Of course there was no snow, but they pulled us in a wheeled cart and it was amazing.
Touristic, I know, but pure fun :p

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no not touristic at all! I WORK FOR THE SEAVEYS! how cool is that? glad you had a great time! :) I work at their Anchorage operation (the Wildride Sled Dog Rodeo) soooooooo much fun!

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I always wanted to see one of these races in person. These dogs are so cute on the outside but very resilient and strong on the inside (like figure skaters? haha).
I felt really bad for the one that had 150+ quills in it's head (o__o)
Let us know how your work with the team is going when you get the chance :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks Tonichelle for the sled dog thread. Interesting article about the porcupines problem. Poor dogs, like these then :eek: But a porcupine can also be cute. This one looks so soft :love:

Danale

On the Ice
no not touristic at all! I WORK FOR THE SEAVEYS! how cool is that? glad you had a great time! :) I work at their Anchorage operation (the Wildride Sled Dog Rodeo) soooooooo much fun!
Brilliant! Sounds like the best job ever (especially sitting in my cubicle, in front of the computer :rolleye:)

These dogs are so cute on the outside but very resilient and strong on the inside (like figure skaters? haha).
Yep, they are nothing like my spoiled dog, who has a bad day if he doesn't get a biscuit from my next door neighbor :p.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't work with the dogs in the fall/winter. It takes not just a special type of dog, but person, too! ha ha! but I will keep you updated on the Seavey's as much as I can! :)

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I've never seen one of these races in person, but from the outside, it looks like it would be a lot of fun ....... unless you happen to be a sled dog. :unsure:

Danale

On the Ice
^^ :biggrin:
I didn't see any race myself, but I have to say the dogs seemed pretty excited about "summer trainings".
When they started to select dogs for the ride, they were all getting pretty excited, barking and getting on their big barrels (where they sleep), as if they were trying to say “Pick me! Pick me!”.
Or maybe that’s what I chose to think :p

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
It seems like the dogs have a lot of fun to me!
I mean, I'm not a dog, but it really seems like they just have the body build for this sort of thing---and the crazy huge energy reserves that they posses xD
They definitely seem like a type of dog that loves the outdoors and is adapted to the cold weather.

They are so beautiful, though...they look like wolves :love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
unless you happen to be a sled dog. :unsure:

it always amazes me that people who've never seen the dogs in action are the experts on how a sled dog mind works.

These dogs are BRED to do what they do. And not just for the last 20 or 30 years, they go back to the very first sled dog wayyyyyyyyyyy back when the native alaskans were moving from place to place. They've "evolved" through the years mainly due to the gold rush where any big dog was used and then bred with the native dogs...but pulling is in every fiber of these dogs. And if a dog doesn't WANT to go, he doesn't. It makes NO SENSE to force a dog who doesn't want to run to race. That just slows the team down. A musher has to be incredibly stupid (strategy wise).

As Danale said the dogs get hyped up and excited to GO. Just like any house pet who wants to take a ride in the car. It's the idea of going on an adventure, sniffing new things, exploring. Only for a sled dog they're going with their pack. These dogs aren't "pets" in our sense of the word. They're a working class of dog, but they still get a lot of love and attention. And they live long and happy lives (contrary to what you read on the anti-mushing sites).

Yes, just as with any sport the dogs get injured while training or racing, that might mean their competitive "career" is over but they aren't just put down (unless it's severe enough to make the quality of life poor) they're still kept, and they can be used to train young pups, make new ones, or in some cases they do become a house pet (depends on the dog, Mitch Seavey's eldest son has one that broke his ankle and it didn't heal properly so he can't pull a sled. dog is only happy in the dog lot or out exploring. thankfully Danny is like his dad and is an outdoorsman, but that dog HATES being inside and he is the saddest sounding dog when the teams get hooked up. I adore that dog, and his story is just one example of what these dogs feel/think)

yes there are bad mushers who are unethical, but they aren't respected in their community, it's just incredibly difficult to ban them if you don't have PROOF (like Ramy Brooks - people had been talking for years about it, but until he did it during the race, no one could do a thing about it)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
When they started to select dogs for the ride, they were all getting pretty excited, barking and getting on their big barrels (where they sleep), as if they were trying to say “Pick me! Pick me!”.

It seems like the dogs have a lot of fun to me!
I mean, I'm not a dog, but it really seems like they just have the body build for this sort of thing---and the crazy huge energy reserves that they posses xD
They definitely seem like a type of dog that loves the outdoors and is adapted to the cold weather.

I think you are right. To run and to pull is what they love. So if they are well treated they have a dream life.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Photos from some events last season
Cool pics. Don't worry about talking to yourself - I thought your posts on the 2009 Iditarod were really interesting, but knowing nothing about the subject, there wasn't much I could write in response.

BTW, I'm sure you wouldn't work for the Seaveys if they ever mistreated their dogs (and anyway, I can't imagine doing something like this if you don't love animals), but based on your knowledge and experience, how are the Iditarod dogs treated by other mushers and trainers?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
...but based on your knowledge and experience, how are the Iditarod dogs treated by other mushers and trainers?

They're treated with respect, but they are considered working dogs, not house pets. So the dogs aren't "babied" per say... it's hard to describe without it sounding cold. The musher/trainer has to be the "lead dog," s/he has to be in control at all times otherwise the dogs will naturally go through brutal way of picking their own leader. This causes dog fights and horrible injuries. So the buddy buddy aspect doesn't fly with a lot of the mushers... but they truly have a love for their dogs and find joy in the antics...

Martin Buser is known as the best musher/handler for the dogs. He IS buddy buddy a lot of the time with them (he sings to them on the trail, not sure if I'd consider that a LOVING gesture though lol)... Susan Butcher, God rest her soul, was also known for her love for the dogs.

You don't get to champion status by beating or abusing your dogs. They just WON'T run for you. As stated earlier this became truly evident with Ramy Brooks team.

Some will just never get it. They refuse to see it, because they have to be RIGHT and have this self righteous attitude that they know what's best. If you have any doubts, search out a team, they're all over, and see them in action, or even just in their home dog lot... you'll see.

Danale

On the Ice

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
first weekend in March = Iditarod... good weather too :) as far as winter goes

dog shoes = booties

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Iditarod Rookies getting a crash course in how it's to be done - Iditarod begins Saturday for rookies: Iditarod sled dog race | adn.com

Iditarod Board says drug testing WILL happen in 2010 - Mushers to be tested for drugs during 2010 Iditarod: Iditarod sled dog race | adn.com

Lance Mackey is none too happy. He flaunts his drug use, and is incredibly arrogant. I'll finally come right out and say it. I don't think he's a role model at ALL for young people, and every time he wins I cringe. He's in it for the glory, nothing more. For someone says it's "just about the dogs" he certainly doesn't complain about HIS new lifestyle as a celebrity.

Man's a jerk.

*I try not to be too negative about other teams, because I don't want to sound overly biased due to my proximity to the Seavey Racing Teams, but it's really hard when it's Lance Mackey :laugh: