so I used to like algebra | Page 2 | Golden Skate

so I used to like algebra

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I received so much crap for this idea from someone I know personally. He brought up an argument that we had a while ago that I was saying "cooking is not science but an art, but defined by science." After a few different discussions with him on the topic, it came out as a semantical topic that was basically discussing the "chicken and the egg ideology." I believe you can whip a meringue without knowing the scientific explanation. But the science of why is enlightening. Was science why we wanted to cook, or was it used to explain what was happening.

Math to me is a way of understanding something for many, It can lead to discoveries. And for some - but not all - is the driving force to discovery. Some just feel and then use something else to explain it to others. Love for example, I need no math to feel. That is really all I am saying.

Now that I am sorry I even said a word.... The past 2 post also indicate that I am misunderstood as well.

Relevance -
I am not trying to discredit math at all. I praise those with the understanding and ESPECIALLY the ability to teach and make a fun topic (as you have many times MM). It is incredibly useful, like the music in front of an orcastra, but days can go by and it is not used at all, particularly calculus. And a single musician can make music that communicates the essence of life. No manuscript required. ANd yet music can be mathematically explained and communicated.

No disconnection implied intentionally as being all aspects I don't need math to enjoy FS, but only to know some answers if I so choose to question.

My only real point anyway was calculus being a necessity to everyone is something I don't see. Algebra I do see as a necessity in thought process, but some situations don't use numbers.

Again I apologize for disagreeing in the slightest amount. I am at fault for being misunderstood obviously because I am agreeing with others posts as I read them - the message they are sending anyway.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
SeaniBu, If by the last 2 posts, you mean mine as 1 or 2 of them, I wasn't going afteryou. I was only saying that there is a spare, gorgeous beauty in Mathematics. And celebrating that I could even find a poet to agree with me.

It's why mathematicians call a particularly neat proof 'elegant'. It's why Einstein, when he wrote about his theory of relativity something to the effect that if that isn't how God made things work, he should have.

Like figure skating, I am more an observer of math than otherwise (although somewhat more a performer in my working days), but I can definitely appreciate the performance even yet.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
SeaniBu, If by the last 2 posts, you mean mine as 1 or 2 of them, I wasn't going afteryou.
No I didn't either, just felt this whole misunderstanding might be my fault in making anyone feel there were comments disassociating the two. I didn't feel like I was being "gone after" - just that this was all my fault.

In reading dutchherder and yours, I felt like I was agreeing with it all yet the topic MIGHT HAVE come up because I poorly communicated.

Emma7639

Rinkside
Synthetic division? That's what I'm doing now! IT'S SO MUCH FUN! <--- that isn't sarcasm.

I love algebra. That's why I'm going to be a math teacher.

Last edited:

dutchherder

Final Flight
Yup, looks like Walt never looked on beauty bare. He did however, get to hear her massive sandal set in stone.

This is one case where whether Walt or Edna is the better poet, Edna was better equipped on the subject of mathematics, evidentally. Walt refused to listen long enough to 'get it'.

Ah, that depends upon your point of view. Perhaps Uncle Walt believed that the astronomer spent his entire career looking at the stars without really seeing them. I believe it is proof that the disciplines are not that far removed from each other. Edna couldn't express a wonder and a love of mathematics well enough unless she used poetry to express it. Mathematics and literature are fire and water. Both equally important and powerful, but the blacksmith would argue for fire, and the fisherman would argue for water...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Walt argued that because the astronomer was a bore, not because the astronomer never saw the stars necessarily.(The astronomer might have been that way, but in general, (and this is based on experience), if he didn't see the stars properly, he in all likelihood wasn't a good astronomer. ) Not every one who can see beauty can express it in words. Of course, a poet might assume that, but it isn't so.