So Which Russian Lady Will Win the Gold? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

So Which Russian Lady Will Win the Gold?

bobbob

Medalist
Assuming they both go clean, Alina. 158 in the team event, plus a little inflation, she should be able to get almost 160, as long as she has no mistakes. She'll be 80+ in the short.

Evgenia's world records were at the World Team Trophy, and honestly, she scoring there was a little out of whack. She got perfect GOE's on every element pretty much. I don't think the same thing will happen here.

Though Alina does still make mistakes, as recently as Russian nationals and GPF her programs were actually mistake laden. Both GP events too, especially in the short. Alina has a slight edge but if any one makes more mistakes, than the other will win.

tars

Record Breaker
I wish Alina win, because her technique is very good and she doesn't cheat on edges - that's the Olympic champion for kids to follow in jumping learning process. :thumbsup:
Plus, she's more graceful than Evgenia imho - as much as most of the Koola's vids are nasty and biased, this one is quite accurate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCXvI9Ueudo

Corwin

On the Ice
Country
Russia
I would not be surprised, if we did not take the gold here too. :biggrin: Cursed Olympics.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I would not be surprised, if we did not take the gold here too. :biggrin: Cursed Olympics.

I can't possibly imagine that'll happen unless both top Russian ladies make mistakes

But then again, Last time we had an olympic Ladies final we saw the three latest World champions
going clean in the FS and not being able to hold a candle to a relative newbie
So who knows :rolleye:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I hope Evgenia will win as the coronation of her incredible past 2 seasons.

Realistically, I can see it go both ways:

-Option A - Alina feels the pressure and makes a mistake on her SP, opening the door for Evgenia. If both clean in the long, Evgenia wins.
-Option B - Both skate clean programs, and here it really comes down to the minuscule details. (81+160 for Evgenia are her PBs, 80+158 for Alina, who could get an even higher score due to her PCS rising)
-Option C - Evgenia feels the pressure and makes a mistake, Alina wins with a big margin

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I stand by my prediction from when I saw her SP at the September test skates: Alina Zagitova will be our 2018 Olympics Ladies’ Gold medalist!

(Btw why do we have another new thread for this again? :laugh:)

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Zagi has elements of The Tara Factor (TM) present in her FS. Youthful joy, a contagiously triumphant feeling, and an energetic ending which draws the audience in and has them clapping along.
Perfect for an Olympic year.
Pure emotions are IMO easier to convey to the four-year fans, and while “Beauty” or “Emotional” or “Elegant” or “Regal” etc can all work, I personally think Olympic audiences are after “Joy”, “Triumph” , especially in the Ladies.
If she hits, I reckon she’s got the gold.

I’d love for Evgenia to win, and for one of the Canadian ladies to medal. And as long as Carolina puts in a decent performance, would like her to get the silver.

Last edited:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm worried that Alina will make a slight mistake in the SP due to Olympic pressure. Then, Evgenia will win. I really hope it's Evgenia-Alina-Gabby/Kaori/Mirai/Satoko/Bradie

Sveta

On the Ice
By looking at my avatar it's clear whom I want to win! :hap10: So I am biased on this one.

However, I tend to agree with Yoloaxel, all three options above are possible... In fact, there is also option D, that they both will have a major meltdown, but I highly doubt it and obviously not wishing it to any skater!

The best of luck to all girls! I hope on fair judging and the best will win!

I wish Alina win, because her technique is very good and she doesn't cheat on edges - that's the Olympic champion for kids to follow in jumping learning process. :thumbsup:
Plus, she's more graceful than Evgenia imho - as much as most of the Koola's vids are nasty and biased, this one is quite accurate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCXvI9Ueudo

One remark, I have to completely disagree with you on it.
Bringing up her edge on 3Ltz (on which she is working so much and you can see improvements from training clips in PC) and implying that only due to this she won't be an example for kids to follow is not fair IMHO. :roll5:

First of all, she is completely aware of it and working hard to improve it, also she is not the only one with an edge (common we all know it).

Second of all, the statement that Alina has a very good technique is also dubious. She is prone to UR and Pre-rotate her jumps as well as many other girls in the field (again no one is perfect, it's up to you which to focus on). IMHO the only one girl with very good jumping technique is Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, however, she has flaws in other areas of skating and as the outcome, she didn't make Olympic team...

All above my humble opinion, but I really tired of nitpicking. There is no perfect skater. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.
It's up to you which to focus on!

Every skater in this Olympics (and not only) deserves respect and can inspire kids!

Seruleane

Final Flight
Personally, I prefer Alina this season. She has more appealing, engaging programs, and her jumps/spins are beautiful. I think she is much stronger technically than Evgenia, and deserves the win if she is clean. People may argue about the PCS gap between Evgenia and Alina needing to be higher, but I disagree. The only thing that Evgenia does better is interpretation and presentation. Evgenia's jumps are looking more labored this season- perhaps due to her injury- and when you see them skate back to back, you really notice the difference in quality of their spins and jumps.

Having said all that, it would be wonderful to see Evgenia come back stronger than ever and skate 2 performances of her life and win the Olympic Gold. If either lady lost, I think Evgenia would take it much harder, she is the reigning 2 time World Champ, and up until her injury this season, seemed to be the hands down favorite. However, you can't determine favorites for Gold based on historical performances. Whoever puts down the better skate that day deserves the win.

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
I'm kind of hoping for someone completely random that we'd never expect to dark horse their way to the top. That would make for an event to remember!

tars

Record Breaker
One remark, I have to completely disagree with you on it.
Bringing up her edge on 3Ltz (on which she is working so much and you can see improvements from training clips in PC) and implying that only due to this she won't be an example for kids to follow is not fair IMHO. :roll5:

First of all, she is completely aware of it and working hard to improve it, also she is not the only one with an edge (common we all know it).

Second of all, the statement that Alina has a very good technique is also dubious. She is prone to UR and Pre-rotate her jumps as well as many other girls in the field (again no one is perfect, it's up to you which to focus on). IMHO the only one girl with very good jumping technique is Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, however, she has flaws in other areas of skating and as the outcome, she didn't make Olympic team...
This is hypothetical situation I'm considering:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeSVYNfFO_u/?taken-by=angelsofplushenko

Plushenko teaches kids using video of Alina's combo - why do you think he didn't choose Russian two-time world champion for that?
I imagine, when Zhenya becomes Oly champ, the situation becomes even more glaring - coaches omitting total dominator of the sport, when teaching kids how to jump. :eek:
The fact, she's working hard on her flutz doesn't change the fact that she's poor example for next generations in jumping training process. Kids should learn proper lutz, not how somebody is fighting with it - rink is not a cinema to watch documentary movies.

Secondly, Alina is not prone to URs, I've been analyzing her jumping passes in slowmotion for two straight years now and she DOES NOT UR. At all.

madison

Record Breaker
I would be ok with whatever lady - Evgenia or Alina- will win this, but honestly I think that Evgenia deserves better the gold medal, for her dominance in the last years, her progress, fair-play and competitiveness.

Sveta

On the Ice
This is hypothetical situation I'm considering:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeSVYNfFO_u/?taken-by=angelsofplushenko

Plushenko teaches kids using video of Alina's combo - why do you think he didn't choose Russian two-time world champion for that?
I imagine, when Zhenya becomes Oly champ, the situation becomes even more glaring - coaches omitting total dominator of the sport, when teaching kids how to jump. :eek:
The fact, she's working hard on her flutz doesn't change the fact that she's poor example for next generations in jumping training process. Kids should learn proper lutz, not how somebody is fighting with it - rink is not a cinema to watch documentary movies.

Secondly, Alina is not prone to URs, I've been analyzing her jumping passes in slowmotion for two straight years now and she DOES NOT UR. At all.

Still, I think you could have put it a different perspective without nitpicking her, again and again, like she is no good skater at all.:shrug:

I would put it in different wording. The edge on 3Ltz could cost her gold, cuz Zhenya simply lose BV as she can't include Ltz in SP as well as repeating it in FP, cuz we all know she can jump any combos with 3T as well as Half loop combo with Sal so she could easily repeat both 3F, 3Ltz if she could. Therefore Alina would not have this advantage in TES. Cuz I think Zhenya is more polished and skillful skater in PCS, and I moved by her skating and programs more, again maybe I am biased...

I guess this already enough for kids to realize they need to have correct techniques at all jumps. Moreover, it was clear for everyone when Mao dropped out her 3Ltz due to the edge as well. There is no secret at all. However, saying that it would give a bad example to kids is over the top...

Again, I can't see why you mention Plushenko here... I mean he can teach whatever he wants really and Alina's loop combo is great, but Plushenko could simply show it because she is only one who is doing it in seniors, he as well could show Trusova Loop combo which is bomb as well. But something tells me putting it on Instagram looks more like an advertisement of his school as Alina is now 'hot issue'...and how did you know that Plushenko did not choose Zhenya's jump for anything else or any other skater??? This video is only complimenting Alina but I can't see why it anyhow putting down Zhenya...

It's your opinion that Alina should win, that's fine, but I believe we should respect qualities of both skaters. To be fair they both have lots to work on and improve.

I personally like skaters with strong character, who is proving others and yourself, that they can find the ways to win and fight again and again, even when many doubt them! Zhenya is in her 3d senior season is showing high level and improved her skating despite puberty, stress, high expectations, injury and yes, edge on 3ltz. I admire her for that and I would be happy if she wins in the fair competition, from my standpoint she deserves it. If she skates clean and light as she does in trainings, it would be interesting how it ends.

Every skater has flaws, but what should inspire kids is that you should not give up but work and find the ways to improve in other areas if needed to win! Otherwise, you basically saying if you don't have correct edges that's it, game over... I disagree with it. Figure skating is a complex sport with many aspects of skating which can be used to gained advantage.

It wouldn’t be the first time that it happened.....Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes and Oksana Baiul, that three that knocked someone of their high horse....

Tara and Oksana were not dark horses, though. Each was the reigning World Champion. Sarah Hughes at least was the World bronze medalist and had beaten both Michelle and Irina at Skate Canada in the Olympic year.

Anyway, I will go with the "peak at the right time" theory. Russian and European Champion Zagitova gold, Medvedeva silver, Canadian champion Gabrielle Daleman bronze.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Both are worthy to me. I prefer Evgenia but Alina has a youthful energy to her that is hard to ignore and makes her skating joyful to watch. I'd like to see Satoko win a medal but I think she's going to get dinged for the jumps so I'm going to pick Carolina or Kaetlyn. I hope Mirai skates well.