Sofia and her mom got Covid at ACI | Golden Skate

Sofia and her mom got Covid at ACI

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sorry to hear this but Covid is really spreading again. I spoke to friends in the medical field and they mentioned the latest version of it isn't warded off by the immunization we all got for the first strains. They're introducing a new vaccine version soon that covers the new strain.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry to hear this but Covid is really spreading again. I spoke to friends in the medical field and they mentioned the latest version of it isn't warded off by the immunization we all got for the first strains. They're introducing a new vaccine version soon that covers the new strain.
Yes I am getting mine asap. I'm immunocompromised and on immunosuppressants. I don't care if I get it at SA but I don't want to spread it.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Actually we've already had two types of immunization: "classic" and "bivalent" (classic + omicron). The new one coming out is omicron-only. It's always a trade-off between getting immunized as soon as possible and waiting for better vaccines. If you have a choice of vaccines, choose moderna >> pfizer >> other.

Fortunately in BC we have a central registry, and they send you an email when you are eligible for a(nother) shot. Our policy is to follow the recommendations unless there are extenuating factors like having had covid or getting surgery.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Actually we've already had two types of immunization: "classic" and "bivalent" (classic + omicron). The new one coming out is omicron-only. It's always a trade-off between getting immunized as soon as possible and waiting for better vaccines. If you have a choice of vaccines, choose moderna >> pfizer >> other.

Fortunately in BC we have a central registry, and they send you an email when you are eligible for a(nother) shot. Our policy is to follow the recommendations unless there are extenuating factors like having had covid or getting surgery.
Then Canada is (no shock) ahead of the game with this over the US FWIW.

reader3

Chicago Lady
Final Flight
Country
United-States
The new Covid vaccine will be out in October, in the U.S. The omicron version was available last fall, well after the earlier vaccines.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Then Canada is (no shock) ahead of the game with this over the US FWIW.
Canada is definitely ahead in its system of making appointments. Whether the appointment is with a special clinic or at a pharmacy, you make the appointment through the same website. A friend of mine in Washington state had a heck of a time getting appointments for her initial shots, as each pharmacy chain had its own website, and most of them had nothing available within 100 miles of her house!

One thing Canada did differently from the US in the initial round, when there were vaccine shortages, was to delay second doses. It was done to get first doses to as many people as possible. The manufacturers shook their heads at it, as the vaccines weren't tested that way, but it paid off. Even from the individual point of view, you get more immunity if the second shot is delayed up to six months; that's assuming, of course, that you don't get COVID while you're waiting for it!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I called my county health department and they said they would have it in next week (hopefully)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Quebec is launching another vaccination campaign with the new vaccines in early October. Covid was super tough in terms of death in Quebec until we found out that the stats were calculated differently... (death with covid vs death by covid)... for a lot of people, covid wasn't the main factor but it was indeed calculated in Quebec. We probably got one the most severe lockdown in all the continent..... It eradicated our senior male skaters.
I got sick following ACI but I doubt it's really "at" ACI I got a virus ( it could have been anywhere really, since I do work with a lot of people) ... and no... it's not COVID as I have tested negative 4 times. I have been sick for almost a week. Saw a doctor today. xrayed my lungs, swabbed my throat... so far, no news = good news... but I cannot sleep. The fever and cough are terrible.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

And if you have a sulfate allergy, stick with Pfizer. So far, at least, Moderna has contained one or more of my many allergens but Pfizer hasn't. The BC clinics all check so carefully I had to wait the first time while the supervising nurse phoned Medicalert in Toronto, gave them my member number, and doublechecked my list of allergens with them. And after every dose and booster, I have to wait there for half an hour under supervision to make sure I don't stop breathing from some trace chemical or an allergy newly-developed since the last time.

Expecting to get an email soon about the next dose, and for whatever is the flu vaccine this year, for which I also get a reminder from the provincial registry.