Sotskova: 'I felt nervous' | Golden Skate

Sotskova: 'I felt nervous'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia’s Maria Sotskova performed a sensitive and reserved short program to “Butterflies Are Free” by Alfred Schnittke with measured jumping elements, including the triple Lutz-triple toe loop combination, triple flip and double Axel. She finished a close sixth with 69.76.
“I felt nervous of course because it’s my debut at the worlds senior championships,” said Sotskova. “But I wanted to do my best, to prove that I am not junior anymore, that I can compete with seniors on the same level. I think that I do it better and better from one competition to the next.”

More from top ladies after 2017 Worlds SP

What are your thoughts on Sotskova's performance?

Zora

On the Ice
I guess her performance was good, but I dislike that music so much that I can't enjoy her skating at all. I'm not sad this was the last time I've seen that program. And I won't be sad seeing her free program the last time, too. I hope next season she gets better music.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Considering the fact that she took 2 hard falls on her Lutz in the 6 minutes warm up and almost slipped on the set up to her flip during the program, I'd say she did great! She was so nervous and she still got the job done #Fighter :rock:

Now onwards to the long where I hope she can redeem herself from her Euros LP!

andromache

Record Breaker
It's nice that among all of the Russian divas struggling to make the team, someone as nuanced and sensitive and reserved as Maria can make the team. A total breath of fresh air. And I like her honesty.

I bet Lori Nichol would adore choreographing for her.

desertskates

Medalist
I've really grown to like her and am happy to see her in a good position after the short. What some see as boring, I see as calm and peaceful with her. I'm glad Maria's on the Russian team this year, it really could have gone either way between her and Elena. As much as I like Elena, she seems to have some sloppy habits that need to be cleaned up. Maria's a great addition to this year's Worlds!