Sotskova: "The fight is never over" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sotskova: "The fight is never over"

Globetrotter

Medalist
Also not Maria's biggest fan but I watched her Euro's performances with an open mind and I thought she was completely robbed of the bronze medal. Her jumps are above average, performed with choreography in and out and with arms over her head and she barely gets a +1 GOE? At least she will be an Olympian but if this is an indication of how the Russian Fed feels about her, I don't think she'll ever make a World/Olympic team again. They might as well already give out the Olympic medals at this point since Carolina will end up on the podium regardless of how bad she skates. This judging is out of control and it takes a lot for me a fan of 30 years to feel this way.

Am someone who actually like the old school SS which CaroK has - think deep edges, gliding, quiet blades, ease of speed changes etc. Not for me those “tricks” from the Eteri school which really just tries to hide the basic blade work with difficult in betweens. To me that is good TR but not SS. Yet Euro2018 is also where it confirms that PCS judging is completely whacked. I was completely appalled how CaroK was artificially boosted in her messy LP PCS and I am talking here even as an admirer of her SS. Personally, I think Zhenya and Zagi were also massively overscored though. Love the skaters but hate the PCS judging. Seriously this needs to be fixed. PCS impact needs to be reduced and simplified to say programme performance and SS/TR and limit these to just 20%. Let the tech dominate since this is a sport. PCS is simply getting too much room for blatant reputation scoring.

withwings

On the Ice
Am someone who actually like the old school SS which CaroK has - think deep edges, gliding, quiet blades, ease of speed changes etc. Not for me those “tricks” from the Eteri school which really just tries to hide the basic blade work with difficult in betweens. To me that is good TR but not SS. Yet Euro2018 is also where it confirms that PCS judging is completely whacked. I was completely appalled how CaroK was artificially boosted in her messy LP PCS and I am talking here even as an admirer of her SS. Personally, I think Zhenya and Zagi were massively overscored though. Love the skaters but hate the PCS judging. Seriously this needs to be fixed. PCS impact needs to be reduced and simplified to say programme performance and SS/TR and limit these to just 20%. Let the tech dominate since this is a sport. PCS is simply getting too much room for blatant reputation scoring.

And, yet, when Ashley pointed out that PCS scores are rather are used to manipulate the results, no one heard this. Not always " to hear" means " to be heard"... It was understood- or rather interpreted!- as she has been " fighting" for herself. Ha! What she wanted to say was exactly this- PCS scoring has to be accountable.

Globetrotter

Medalist
And, yet, when Ashley pointed out that PCS scores are rather are used to manipulate the results, no one heard this. Not always " to hear" means " to be heard"... It was understood- or rather interpreted!- as she has been " fighting" for herself. Ha! What she wanted to say was exactly this- PCS scoring has to be accountable.

Am sure regular FS fans all understood painfully this subjective component. The presentation mark in 6.0 was used the same way. No, people all heard loud and clear but nobody in the top echelons wants to give up this power trip. We all think that the accountability is to fans and audience but hey none of us carry enough weight relative to the powerful federations and politicians. Until the day FS loses its audience appeal and ticket sales crash to miserable levels, I don’t think they have incentives to change. I mean 6.0 was desperately overhauled after that scandal in SLC that pushed the elephant in their face. It probably will take something as egregious to do the same in IJS.