Sotskova: "The fight is never over" | Golden Skate

Sotskova: "The fight is never over"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maria Sotskova ran into trouble with the triple Lutz in both of her programs to finish fourth overall with 200.81 points in total. In the short program she was unable to execute a planned triple – triple combination due to the shaky landing of the Lutz and had to attach a triple toe loop to a triple flip later in the program. In the free program, her second attempt to execute the jump ended up in a fall.

When asked by media if she is happy that it was over, she was quick to correct them.
“The fight is never over,” said the 17-year-old. “We all keep going on and on. However, I am relieved that the event is done. I expected more of myself, but I have no one else to blame.”

The student of Elena Vodorezova said that the thoughts about the Olympics did not affect her at all.

“I usually don’t think so far ahead,” said the 2018 Russian silver medalist. “I usually focus on the upcoming competitions and don’t worry about anything long-term. Every competition is important for me and the European championships is one of the most important events.”

“Maria’s issue, well maybe not an issue, but a feature of her character, is that she takes everything very seriously,” said Vodorezova. “She really focused on every event and gives it [her] all every time. It makes things a bit more difficult for her.”

More...

What are your thoughts on her performances at this event?

Last edited:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I love Maria's skating. It blows my mind that she's always behind her countrymen. Do the Russian audience really prefer Alina and medvedeva skating over this wonderful, powerful, yet graceful skater? If anyone Russian lady is to be crowned the gold medal in peongchamg, it's Maria, just my opinion.

desertskates

Medalist
I think her skating is absolutely gorgeous. Especially this year's long program. I'm really hoping she works out whatever was troubling her with her lutz in the next few weeks because she has a great chance at an Olympic medal.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I hope she dark horses and takes it all in Korea. :devil:

The general predictability of the ladies event has gotten quite boring for many of us. There’s nothing better than a good old fashioned Olympic shakeup. :popcorn:

starla16

Medalist
I hope she dark horses and takes it all in Korea. :devil:

The general predictability of the ladies event has gotten quite boring for many of us. There’s nothing better than a good old fashioned Olympic shakeup. :popcorn:

for her to win an upset, Zagitova, Medvedeva, Osmond and Kostner would have to bomb.

Manitou

Medalist
I have been always somewhere halfway between Maria and Stanislava Konstantinova... and I still am. I still have mixed feelings about who should go to Korea.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The pc gap with Kostner is just outrageous. She has no chance against Kostner. Maybe Osmond but those pcs for Carolina are just unbelievable.

berry8

Final Flight
Maria's biggest problem is that her programs are forgettable... I don't even remember last year ones[emoji848][emoji848]
She tends to UR her jumps and she should fix this

lavoix

Match Penalty
I do feel bad for her, I thought she was sort of robbed of a medal at these championships. Whilst I don't see her challenging for a medal at the Olympics, she's a fighter and I wish her all the best for next season!

Can someone please get Lori Nichol to work with her???

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do feel bad for her, I thought she was sort of robbed of a medal at these championships. Whilst I don't see her challenging for a medal at the Olympics, she's a fighter and I wish her all the best for next season!

Can someone please get Lori Nichol to work with her???

Let's remember that during the time of Kwan, Lori charged around 10k a program. Don't know what she charges now but she's expensive and I don't know if Maria has the means/willing to pay that much for a program. She could go to Zhulin/Averbukh/Morozov for much less.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I hope she can in Korea repeat her stunning performance from the GPF. If so, she will win the bronze medal there.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope she can in Korea repeat her stunning performance from the GPF. If so, she will win the bronze medal there.

We can :pray: for a good GPF like performance. After Euros, I don't see the judges putting her on the podium :slink:

winky97

Medalist
I have mixed feelings about Maria. I want to really like her but her programs are just boring to me. She also is losing me with those tanos.

magdalena

On the Ice
Her coach always wants to play it too safe and chooses songs from her safe list so Maria's programs are always boring and some skaters have programs that are specially prepared for the selected piece of music but with Sotskova you can watch her skating with songs of any other skater and you will not able to say with one is her original program song.