Sports Illustrated picks Cohen to win. | Golden Skate

Sports Illustrated picks Cohen to win.

They don't know what they're talking about! They picked Katêriná Neumannova over Marit Bjørgen in the 30K mass start cross country skiing!!!! Pu-l-lease!!!!!

MM :)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
They don't know what they're talking about! They picked Katêriná Neumannova over Marit Bjørgen in the 30K mass start cross country skiing!!!! Pu-l-lease!!!!!

MM :)

Bjorgen will win all the golds in Turin probably. She is da bomb!

CDMM1991

Medalist
These guys are full of it and being blantantly optimistic when it comes to the US's chances for a medal.

millie

Medalist
Yea, the curling rink representing Canada at silver. That curling rink is from my home province of Newfoundland.:rock: :rock: :rock:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
millie said:
Yea, the curling rink representing Canada at silver. That curling rink is from my home province of Newfoundland.:rock: :rock: :rock:

Have you met Gushue, what is he like? I honestly think they will win, and if they do lose it will be to Lindholm and not Trulsen. Trulsen is way overrated. But I see gold for the Gushue team in Turin.

tarotx

On the Ice
I don't see what's wrong with their ladies FS picks. Sasha is one of the favorites. 99.999% think Sasha will falter but there is that slim chance that she won't and who knows maybe a clean Sasha could beat Irina. I don't think so but maybe...

I think SI wanted to pick Michelle but didn't dare because they haven't seen her compete this season.

millie

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Have you met Gushue, what is he like? I honestly think they will win, and if they do lose it will be to Lindholm and not Trulsen. Trulsen is way overrated. But I see gold for the Gushue team in Turin.

He's a very sweet guy and down to earth. I don't really care if they are on the podium or not, just proud that they have made it to the Olympics. All that matters is the they are there and they have already made us proud.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
tarotx said:
I don't see what's wrong with their ladies FS picks. Sasha is one of the favorites. 99.999% think Sasha will falter but there is that slim chance that she won't and who knows maybe a clean Sasha could beat Irina. I don't think so but maybe...

I think SI wanted to pick Michelle but didn't dare because they haven't seen her compete this season.

Predictions are based what on is most likely, not what is possable.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
millie said:
He's a very sweet guy and down to earth. I don't really care if they are on the podium or not, just proud that they have made it to the Olympics. All that matters is the they are there and they have already made us proud.

Thanks, he seemed like a nice guy to me whenever I watched interviews and such. I am also glad Howard is going since I am from N.B.

Lanie

On the Ice
I'm a big huge Sasha fan but IMO even if Sasha skates amazingly they'll give it to Irina anyway--even if Irina falters. It's obviously because it's an American magazine and obviously they'll pick the American over anyone else.

rob43

On the Ice
Well the SI prediction did nada for Kwan the last to trips so I'm not sure what it will grant Sasha. That being said- I can't get over how well Sasha skated her LP at nationals with the flu. I wonder what she could do healthy. (and I think she might be in a great position- peaking but not the favorite.)

I don't think Arakawa will make that podium. I would love to see Fumie there though.

It will really be weird for me when there is a big championship without Kwan or Slutskaya. I think we've grown too familiar with their skills to apprciate them.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Mathman -

Please tell me its not the whole "Katêriná Neumannova over Marit Bjørgen in the 30K mass start cross country skiing" thing all over again?! That story is sooooo played out. :rofl: Oy vey

If I were Irina right now, I'd be so fired up!

People better not make Irina mad - honey, she will Bielman herself 3 feet down through the ice!

Tenorguy

Last edited:

gracefulswan

On the Ice
i don't think the the magazine is far off on the truth. i think sasha could win. what with irina being a bit under the weather from her chronic health problems..and michelle just getting to the point where she's even competitive..and we don't even know yet how until we see her programs and what kind of GOEs she gets for her levels either. it's all up in the air at this point. ANYTHING can happen. it's a toss up. i think sasha has as good a chance as any of the top ladies.:agree:

if she's 100%, watch out! she has to overcome nerves and a history of inconsistency though. her nationals win was pretty good considering she had the flu and didn't skate her free for 8 days and being bed-ridden for 5. she said she was totally wiped out after the competition.

blackrose050

Rinkside
CDMM1991 said:
These guys are full of it and being blantantly optimistic when it comes to the US's chances for a medal.

Of course! :laugh:

It would be kind of a downer for casual American fans to think the U.S. has no chance.

I definitely think Sasha has a shot at the gold. I also think Shizuka (can you imagine anyone thinking an Asian could win?) has a shot at the gold.

If the three skate their best and there is no hanky panky going on in that row of chairs at the 50 yard line, it will be the skating order which determines the winner. I believe the last of the three to skate will win regardless of the CoP.

However, any faults with the three, and watch Carolina, Miki and Kimmie rise to the occasion. JMO

Joe

bronxgirl

Medalist
And how often has Sports Illustrated been right about their selections for the Final Four, the Super Bowl or the World Series? If they can't get their predictions right about sports they're supposed to know, I trust their figure skating (and any other Winter Olympic prediction) about as far as I could throw the entire staff of the magazine.:biggrin:

S

SkateFan4Life

Sports Illustrated usually is very particular about making their predictions. But this isn't an exact science, as we all know. Strange and unusual things do happen, and they probably will in Torino.

I agree that it's a bit overly optimistic to pick Sasha Cohen to win the gold medal, seeing that she's finished second in so many major competitions. Maybe this will be her year - who knows? However, SI missed the mark, bigtime, back in 1984, in which they picked Roz Sumners to win gold, without giving much thought or consideration to Katarina Witt.

As for the men, those picks sound reasonable to me; however, we can't forgot Brian Joubert or some of the other very talented men.

Jhar55

Medalist
Love to see Sasha win Gold, and she could if she can do 2 great clean skates of her life. She is a very beautiful skater and can do it but the her nerves will shake her up once agian.