Spots on my Blades? | Golden Skate

Spots on my Blades?

Cheyanne

Spectator
I have new ultima aspire xp blade's and they are freshly sharpened. Yesterday I had my first class and I mainly worked on my edges and after class I wiped off the blades and put on my soakers. When I came home I also dried the blades again with a towel and put them into soakers and put them into the corner of my room. This morning I pulled off my soakers and realized there are small brown like specks along the groove of my blade. I do not want to believe this is rust because these blades are so new and I have only used them once and also took good care of them as usual :confused: Do you think this is a major problem or something I should ignore :shrug:

ruki06

Rinkside
I believe it's always a good idea to let your blades air dry once you get home, soakers are typically used in the transit process to protect your blades from hitting one another. :) You should take your soakers off when you get home so your blades get a chance to air dry completely before your next skating session!

vlaurend

Final Flight
I believe it's always a good idea to let your blades air dry once you get home, soakers are typically used in the transit process to protect your blades from hitting one another. :) You should take your soakers off when you get home so your blades get a chance to air dry completely before your next skating session!

I dry my blades (Wilson Gold Seal) and put soakers on them as soon as I take my skates off. Then I put them in my skate bag, which I leave slightly open for ventilation, and that's where they stay until the next time I skate (I skate every other day). I've done this with every pair of blades I've had for the past 13 years and have *never* gotten spots or rust on my blades. Cheyanne, if this happens even though you are really drying them well with a cloth and putting them in dry soakers afterward, then I would show them to the people at the pro shop you bought them from and tell them you're concerned about the quality of the blade.

Last edited:

concorde

Medalist
I think it also depends on the climate where you live.

In wetter climates, the air contains moisture which make is really hard for the blades to thoroughly dry. In those areas, I would expect the blades to be more prone to rust. (we live in a damp climate so I think that contributes to the problem)
If you live in an arid climate, I really doubt you would have much of a rust issue.

Cheyanne

Spectator
I have practically done what you listed above and I only skate around once or twice a week. I think I am going to bring them in because I know I am not drying them incorrectly and I do not live in a damp or humid area so I doubt that is a problem either. Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

Query

Rinkside
Rust can develop very quickly on relatively inexpensive blades like those described - e.g., in less than an hour.

See this thread:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?54954-Fighting-Rust

E.g., if you lightly oil your blades after drying them, before taking them home, you will probably be in better shape. I only use soakers for a few minutes at a time. Taking the skates home in my car, they are bare, with no covers, and the skates are not put inside of anything.

Of course, it's even worse in regions with corrosive air - e.g., near the seashore or other salt water, where there are salt particles in the air. Then you should rinse your blades off with fresh water before drying and oiling them.

I think these are more or less beginner blades, meant to last you your first few months to a year or so, depending on how much you skate. Maybe you don't need to go overboard to preserve them? If you just keep a drying cloth, and a second oiled cloth in your car, and use them before you drive home, then take your blades into your home, the blades will probably last at least that long. Many people would say even that is overkill. Especially if they live in dry climates.

Cheyanne

Spectator
Thanks this really helps, and I actually have some mineral oil in my house already so I will try using oil ( and as you said these blades are pretty cheap I was planning to get some matrix blades at some point so I just want to keep everything good so I do not damage anything in the future due to bad habits).

Last edited:

concorde

Medalist
The problem is not isolated to inexpensive blades. We had the problem with 3 set of Wilson Gold Seal blades.
We live in a humid climate with not the best air qualify - code red days in the summer are not uncommon.

Query

Rinkside
The problem is not isolated to inexpensive blades. We had the problem with 3 set of Wilson Gold Seal blades.
We live in a humid climate with not the best air qualify - code red days in the summer are not uncommon.

Most MK and Wilson high end blades use a steel alloy that is still somewhat prone to rust. They also remove the (soft) protective Chrome/Nickel plating at the bottom sides of the blades, which makes it prone to rust there. (Possible exception: Revolution blades??)

All or most Matrix blades use a more corrosion (rust) resistant steel alloy, and I think they use a hardened nickel alloy plating on the sides instead of removing the plating.

(OTOH, I think the plating on high end MK and Wilson blades is very shiny. And their blades are shaped differently. So MK and Wilson aren't going to die any time soon.)

Last edited:

concorde

Medalist
^^ This makes sense.

My daughter switched from Wilson Gold Seals (super shiny ones) to Matrix Supremes about 4 months ago and so far so good. She likes the Matrix blades better since they are less rough on her hands when she is doing a catch foot.

vlaurend

Final Flight
^^ This makes sense.

My daughter switched from Wilson Gold Seals (super shiny ones) to Matrix Supremes about 4 months ago and so far so good. She likes the Matrix blades better since they are less rough on her hands when she is doing a catch foot.

How interesting! I am about to switch from Gold Seal to Matrix Supreme. What is it about the Matrix that is different when she grabs the blade?

concorde

Medalist
The WGS is the same thickness (single blade) throughout. The edges on the top have an 90 degree angle so they occasionally cut her hand when she grabs for them. From that I hear, this is not uncommon if you use any standard blade. I have seem girls come off the ice with bleeding hands due to this; this is typically not a practice issue since they are wearing gloves then.

The Matrix Supremes are basically a single blade on the bottom with the second section mounted on the outside. The second section is contoured with rounded edges so the edge you grab is essentially smooth. Hence, no more cut hands.

The Matrix Supremes do not seem to rust but I have noticed that base blade is yellowing with time.

vlaurend

Final Flight
The WGS is the same thickness (single blade) throughout. The edges on the top have an 90 degree angle so they occasionally cut her hand when she grabs for them. From that I hear, this is not uncommon if you use any standard blade. I have seem girls come off the ice with bleeding hands due to this; this is typically not a practice issue since they are wearing gloves then.

The Matrix Supremes are basically a single blade on the bottom with the second section mounted on the outside. The second section is contoured with rounded edges so the edge you grab is essentially smooth. Hence, no more cut hands.

The Matrix Supremes do not seem to rust but I have noticed that base blade is yellowing with time.

Ah, I see. I've only cut my hand on the blade itself (when lifting my blade from the side of the blade to place my foot onto my knee for my pancake spin). But it sounds like it will be more comfortable to do blade grabs on things like catch-foot camels with the Matrix blades--although mine are actually Matrix Elite Supreme, with blade screwed into the aluminum stanchion (which does appear to be rounded).

Last edited:

Babbette1

On the Ice
If it's not humid where you live, try using one pair of soakers right after you get off the ice, and then replace them when you get home with a second dry pair of soakers. I had to do this when I was on the road although I normally don't get rust. Turning the soakers inside out after use to air dry should also be helpful.

Query

Rinkside
The edges on the top have an 90 degree angle so they occasionally cut her hand when she grabs for them.

Do I understand you to mean that she cuts her hand on the part of the blade that doesn't[/url] touch the ice? Why not round off the edge with something abrasive - fine grit sandpaper, or a flat sharpening stone?

concorde

Medalist
Yes - it is the edge she does not skate on.

Here is the thing - I am the mother, not the skater. If my 10-year old does not tell me, I do not know. She only told me about the problem with her hands after she tried the new blades and told me why she wanted them.