Stars On Ice -Boston | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice -Boston

R.D.

Record Breaker
I always found Sasha to be reserved in her performances. I liken her skating as having a snowglobe effect. You are drawn to it, enjoy it, but there is not a great deal of connection. For me, I don't think of that as a negative, just how I view her skating. Then there are other skaters, like Michelle for example, who reach outwards in their skating and bring the audience into their world. Like Dick once said-Michelle has the ability to "...make you love her, make you feel she loves you. That is a great quality to have." Just a different style and it's a matter of personal preference which you prefer. I find both styles desirable and think both are suited for tour skating. It brings about balance and eliminates the same theme between skaters. I think Sasha stays true to her self by skating that way.

I stated this in my SOI review thread. I agree, that is her style and there's nothing necessarily bad about it. As long as people like what you bring to the ice, and they come back, you've done your job. She seems to do that. Ok, fine.

I'm more introverted. I ride horses for a living. I prefer when the clients don't come and want to hang out, chat, and I can ride their horses in my own world. I wish I was like those who can talk it up and engage in any sort of conversations with their clients-go out to lunch and schmooze. But that is not me. However, when they come to watch me ride their horses, or I go to shows, I love it, I love presenting the horse I'm showing to the best of their/my abilities, and I have fun doing my job. It's still a job and their are days it's not all fun and games, and I grind it out when I rather stay in bed, but there is nothing else I'd rather do. It's what I'm good at. I feel Sasha is the same way.

I'm the same way as well. I'm not really the "chit-chatty" type of person, and I don't typically open up to people unless they're either really nice or we know each other.

II ride horses for a living....

However, when they come to watch me ride their horses, or I go to shows, I love it, I love presenting the horse I'm showing to the best of their/my abilities, and I have fun doing my job. It's still a job and their are days it's not all fun and games, and I grind it out when I rather stay in bed, but there is nothing else I'd rather do. It's what I'm good at.

Off topic, but that was a fascinating post. Are you a professional equestrian who trains and rides other people's horses in shows and competitions?

MKFSfan

Medalist
Technically, I am more into management and the care of horses, but I do have a few young horses I'm bringing along for other people. I also have rehab horses who are recovering for illness or injury, and I start them back to work when they are ready. I like that part much better as most of the owners like weekly updates via emails, and don't stop by too often. Don't get me wrong, I like my owners, I'm just not all that great with entertaining! When I do have a few who want to ride, I make sure to have a plan in advance so that they can enjoy their ride and learn something. So, for me, the caring/riding aspect is fun, while the dealing with clients and making sure they feel they get their money's worth is the job. :)

To take that back to Sasha, I wonder if that's how she feels a bit. She loves to skate, touring is fun and also a job that she has to do even when tired, sick or sore. Meet/greet and audience interaction is also part of the job, and perhaps on that end she has to work at to make the fans believe she's there for them-given the general theme from fans who meet her and felt she was standoffish and even rather be someplace else. I only observed her twice with fan interaction, once at the Campbell's Cheesefest in NYC and once on COI. I personally did not meet her, I was hanging back and watching the kids/other fans with the skaters. And I did notice in both cases, Sasha wasn't the most warm of the bunch. NOT rude, just seemed tired and going through the paces, small smiles, etc. But she posed for pics and signed autographs. There were other skaters who seemed more into it, chatty and big smiles. Maybe they are better at pretending, or maybe it just comes more natural for some to be at ease with strangers.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Uhh, actually it IS a fact that Sasha is special.

- Lots of international silver/gold medals
- Moves and flexibility very few or none can match
- Precision of movement and grace few can match

"I don't like Sasha Cohen" is an opinion.
"Sasha Cohen is not special" is just laughable.
Particle Man I like your posts. :agree: I have always found it extremely funny that the people who can't be adult enough to say that there is something special about Sasha are childish enough to post several times in a thread about her. They keep it up and keep it up and can't figure out what motivates them to do it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
To take that back to Sasha, I wonder if that's how she feels a bit. She loves to skate, touring is fun and also a job that she has to do even when tired, sick or sore. Meet/greet and audience interaction is also part of the job, and perhaps on that end she has to work at to make the fans believe she's there for them-given the general theme from fans who meet her and felt she was standoffish and even rather be someplace else. I only observed her twice with fan interaction, once at the Campbell's Cheesefest in NYC and once on COI. I personally did not meet her, I was hanging back and watching the kids/other fans with the skaters. And I did notice in both cases, Sasha wasn't the most warm of the bunch. NOT rude, just seemed tired and going through the paces, small smiles, etc. But she posed for pics and signed autographs. There were other skaters who seemed more into it, chatty and big smiles. Maybe they are better at pretending, or maybe it just comes more natural for some to be at ease with strangers.

I think you nailed it. She was all the things you described during the M&G in DC, yet she didn't do anything that would be considered rude or disrespectful during actual fan encounters.

I won't hold that against her, specifically because I'm similar in that regard. That said, all the other skaters that came up were really nice to us, smiling, thanking folks for their support, etc.

P.S. If I understand Dee's post correctly, one has to be this huge raving fan of a skater to be permitted to post about him/her? ooooookkkk. whatever. in that case, we are all fanatics of every skater. Someone better fetch some bodyguards! :laugh: