Stars On Ice -Boston | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice -Boston

Icechick86

Rinkside
Sounds like you had fun! I love Stars on Ice. I saw the show in NJ last weekend for the first time in nine years. It was great! We got there early to see the warm up and I was impressed at how good the skaters were even when they were warming up. Especially Ilia Kulik- I couldn't get a good picture of him because he was always moving so fast!

The cast was very entertaining. I didn't get to see Kimmie or Evan, but I did see Jeffrey Buttle, who was so adorable. Some parts of the show were a little corny but still fun! Sasha seemed to do fine when I saw her- I really liked her Moonlight Sonata program. But it's gotta be so tiring to be on the road, skating all the time in so many different places. Good thing the skaters will get a rest!

I also read that Scott Hamilton announced his return to skating- has anyone else heard this? He's amazing and been through so much- I'm so happy he's going to keep skating.

merrybari

Final Flight
OT, but did you guys see Kimmie, Lysacek and Belbin and Agosto on the Today show this morning? They talked about their charity work with children. There was a few second clip of Evan's world's LP. B&A did not get to talk because they ran out of time (the cooking segment ran over. :eek:hwell: )

Yep - fun but too short! Hope the weather co-operates for the benefit later.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Re: Kimmie and her jump "problems":

I was lucky to have Kimmie as a guest star at last years SOI, though not this year, and I remember her having trouble with the lutz because she has a long entrance to the jump, but the SOI rink is pretty small compared to what competitive skaters train and compete on all year long. SHe probably hasn't had much practice time on the smaller ice and hasn't quite figured out how to place the lutz properly within the limited available space. Her lutz was GORGEOUS last year, she just seemed to run out of room for the landing. So, I'm not going to start worrying about her just yet.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Re: Kimmie and her jump "problems":

I was lucky to have Kimmie as a guest star at last years SOI, though not this year, and I remember her having trouble with the lutz because she has a long entrance to the jump, but the SOI rink is pretty small compared to what competitive skaters train and compete on all year long. SHe probably hasn't had much practice time on the smaller ice and hasn't quite figured out how to place the lutz properly within the limited available space. Her lutz was GORGEOUS last year, she just seemed to run out of room for the landing. So, I'm not going to start worrying about her just yet.

Meissner was at my stop as well. Nailed her jumps. The only fall IIRC in that show came from Todd Eldredge.

McWicked

On the Ice
OT, but did you guys see Kimmie, Lysacek and Belbin and Agosto on the Today show this morning? They talked about their charity work with children. There was a few second clip of Evan's world's LP. B&A did not get to talk because they ran out of time (the cooking segment ran over. :eek:hwell: )

Found a link for those missed it like me: http://www.blinkx.com/video/nbc-today-show-how-skating-helps-build-life-skills/1BLB7ogJPjxftlhsmX7H9g

is it me or Kimmie looks taller than Tanith???

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw SOI live both this year and last year, and I thought Sasha was slow and tentative compared to the other skaters both times, and I don't think it has anything to do with injuries or anything like that. She just does not have the confidence and presence one would expect from the headliner. She really is not the show skater that so many thought she would be. Both this year and last, I thought she was the least interesting skater in the entire cast. Her programs are all the same, and she makes no attempt to connect with the audience at all. I feel sorry for the people who went to the show specifically to see her, because I found her to be really disappointing.
Well, Scott Hamilton thought she was OK so that's all that matters.

demarinis5, thanks for the excellent report!!

skamper23

Medalist
I was at the show in Boston. There was a nice size crowd, but they seemed very subdued. There was way more energy from the crowd last week in Albany! I swear at the very end of the show I was the only one standing up for a good 5-10 seconds before people around me realized "Oh,it's the end of the show!" strange.

Anyway.... The skaters were putting out the energy, that's for sure! The opening was wonderful and went off w/out a hitch...everyone hit their jumps perfectly! Tanith & Ben skated next to "Bleeding In Love" I really liked this program. They really "act" as well as skate this..passing a love letter back and forth at the beginning and end of the program. Kimmie also skated in the first half of the show. I believe it was right after Todd's first number. She skated to "Hero" nice program...she did however have a fall. I'm wondering if she's not use to show lighting, because her number was brightly lit. Loved her pink one armed costume! The first half ended w/out Sasha and her "Don't Stop The Music" program. I knew she wasn't going to skate it when the TV video was stopped right when Todd gets hit in the face w/a pie....(he then usually intro's Sasha) They went right into "Sock Him In The Jaw" Sasha was still in the group numbers and transitions and did skate her Moonlight Sonata" which I think she skated well, only had a hand down on a jump.

Evan skated in the 2nd half. I loved that he is skating his Worlds long program!!! It was a true pleasure to see it live, and he skated it full-out, high energy. I'd call it passion & fire!!!!!!!!!! He got the best crowd response of the day!!! Todd then came out and congratulated Evan on his win, gave him a high five and announced that Evan was the first U.S. man to win the world title in 13 years "when some other guy won it" Evan points back at Todd. Nice moment, I thought!

Oh, I noticed during intermission that Kimmie came out by the tunnel and was speaking to a small group of people, not sure if she knew them or they were just fans,they were taking pictures, but I noticed that the person she was talking to wound up getting the autographed towel!

I also noticed there was a problem with one of the TV screens. It kept getting a big black bar going though it and when Yuka's name appeared it looked like "Uka Ato"!

Also, it looks to me like Mike may have gotten a brand new shirt for his AC/DC number! There were no holes today and the colors weren't faded anymore!

Well the finale always comes way too soon for me! Everyone did a great job! I can't believe there's only 2 more U.S. shows left! Sad that we'll have to wait an entire year for SOI to return!!

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Awesomeice -- Maybe Sasha doesn't like your city? :rofl:

She didn't seem slow and tentative in Pittsburgh, she just didn't skate around like a crazed goofy maniac, like some show skaters do. She is elegant. That's her style and that's why she's Sasha.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Well, Scott Hamilton thought she was OK so that's all that matters.

demarinis5, thanks for the excellent report!!

I don't give a rats behind what Scott Hamilton thinks. He is THE most biased announcer/commentator/whatever the heck you want to call him. Besides, he basically owns SOI, does he not? Of course he's going to say that his skaters are OK. I think Sasha is a sorry excuse for a headliner, and I would never shell out so much as two cents just to see her. I'm just glad that the rest of the cast actually acknowledges that there is an audience sitting in the arenas every night.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Basically, the SOI, for the most part, has created a culture that really cares about its fans. I'm referring to the skaters themselves, not necessarily other components such as the arena staff, etc. (although they were cool too in the cities I visited). Like I mentioned earlier, the last thing you want to do is to take the fans for granted, or they won't come back. The tour folks need to try to keep things like this, especially since they seem to plan on "reviving" the show next year after Olys.

The show itself is great, but I could do without some of the cheesy transition pieces.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I would hope Scott was happy with the cast he's put together... commentary aside he seems confident in what sells in his show. more power to him, he has a pretty star studded cast, and considering his tour is the only one that's survived (Disney on Ice not included) in the US, that says something for SOI.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
LOL, you're just jealous so many people love a girl who doesn't fit your particular mold of "how a skater should be."

I don't care how many people love that one-trick pony. It makes zero difference to me whether you love her or hate her. I find her cold and detached and boring as heck. When I go to something like SOI, I want to see the skaters love or enjoyment for the sport, and I don't get the feeling that Sasha cares at all about it. Nor do I get the feeling that she appreciates the audience, which she really should since without them she wouldn't be getting the paycheck that she's skating for. Both times that I saw her live, the only sense that I got from her was that she was there for the paycheck and nothing more. If "so many people" love that and want to keep shelling out big bucks for a skater who couldn't care less about the people who come see her, then thats their problem, not mine. Lucky for me, there are a dozen other skaters in the show who actually acknowledge and appreciate the people who come to see them.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I don't care how many people love that one-trick pony.

What's the one trick? ... brilliant unsurpassed artistry? I could agree with that.

It makes zero difference to me whether you love her or hate her. I find her cold and detached and boring as heck. When I go to something like SOI, I want to see the skaters love or enjoyment for the sport

Explain to me how Yuka Sato talking to a recording of herself on a TV screen, or John Zimmerman prancing around in big hair as "Axel Edge" represent the "love and enjoyment of the sport?" Or any of the goofy sketches for that matter. Stars on Ice is a show, not a sport. And the audience goes crazy over 2 things at SoI by far:

- Sasha
- Weiss doing backflips and tricks

AND, Weiss' backflips and tricks, which are awesome, are not recognized elements of the sport. So that's not showing "love of the sport!"

I don't get the feeling that Sasha cares at all about it. Nor do I get the feeling that she appreciates the audience...If "so many people" love that and want to keep shelling out big bucks for a skater who couldn't care less about the people who come see her, then thats their problem, not mine.

News flash - your feelings are not equal to reality.

And it sounds like your problem, since you're in the minority and ranting so heavily about your Sasha hatred. Thousands and thousands of people get excited over Sasha, and you are angry about it. Not hard to figure out who has the problem...

skamper23

Medalist
I'll jump in here and say that there are skaters in SOI that have great audience appreciation. They really draw you in and take you along for the ride....Ilia Kulik is one, he makes great eye contact and smiles all the time and looks truely happy to be out there, he's not shy about coming right up to audience members during his performance. I can say the same thing about John Zimmerman, & Mike Weiss. Jennifer Robinson has been known to sit in audience members lap......I just can't picture Sasha doing that! While I'm a fan of Sasha's skating and loved her Moonlight Sonata program, I can say that she doesn't have much eye contact or bring the audience along with her in routines like "Don't Stop the Music"....a show skater really needs to sell it to the crowd and she doesn't! Yuka and even Shen & Zhao will come right over to the crowd and really look at you for a reaction. Todd smiles and looks like he's doing something he truely enjoys. Maybe Sasha is shy, but sometimes she has a very stoic look on her face. The only time she ever goes near the audience is at the very end of the show when all the skaters slap hands with the crowd. Something else I noticed is that in the SOI TV show that aired back in Jan. I taped it and have watch it several times, during the introductions when all the skaters step on to their podiums and their name is announced, they wave and smile to the crowd. Sasha does not wave when introduced, no big smile either...she kind of just nods her head from side to side. I will say though that she atleast waves at the live shows. I have great respect for her as a skater, and she has beautiful lines, amazing spirals and alot of other great skating qualities, but I getting the audience all excited is just not her thing.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
AI has a point, though (and Skamper for that matter)- Cohen does come across as less engaging than the rest of the cast. Perhaps that's her personality or whatnot, but it's clear as day to me. I have examples I've seen on TV, as well as live examples. I'll skip the TV since that can distort things, but my live experiences have not really been much different. Last year in Baltimore she really was the only one that I didn't "get" - she totally disconnected from the audience. I remember being quite disappointed (in retrospect, that is) because I expected more than that from her. I was shocked that I found myself preferring Kimmie Meissner by a mile especially after criticizing the heck out of her show skating just a year prior. Here's the key thing though: Sasha looked basically like she didn't want to be there. And in a performance you ABSOLUTELY DON'T want to give off such a vibe.

Then, at the pre-show reception I went to in DC, she was the only skater to seem sort of disinterested and disconnected from the fans. However, in contrast to last year, in Philly she seemed alright in her performances- I liked them, actually, especially Moonlight Sonata. in fact, she was one of maybe two or three skaters that actually waved to all four sides of the audience afterward. Ilia K. was another one, I think (One side only had the on-ice folks, that was near the main entrance-way.) Most of the skaters just waved to the three rows with the most people.

My conclusion? One day the wind blows west, another day it might blow east...

ETA:

Jennifer Robinson has been known to sit in audience members lap......I just can't picture Sasha doing that!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

...I can say that [Sasha] doesn't have much eye contact or bring the audience along with her in routines like "Don't Stop the Music"....a show skater really needs to sell it to the crowd and she doesn't! Yuka and even Shen & Zhao will come right over to the crowd and really look at you for a reaction. Todd smiles and looks like he's doing something he truely enjoys. Maybe Sasha is shy, but sometimes she has a very stoic look on her face. The only time she ever goes near the audience is at the very end of the show when all the skaters slap hands with the crowd.

You are SO right!!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
News flash - your feelings are not equal to reality.

I know this wasn't directed at me but I just want to point out that what you said here:

What's the one trick? ... brilliant unsurpassed artistry? I could agree with that.

is ALSO a feeling, and not equal to reality. :p

Explain to me how Yuka Sato talking to a recording of herself on a TV screen... represent(s) the "love and enjoyment of the sport?"

I don't know about talking to herself on a big TV screen, but Yuka Sato skating is :love: :love: :love:

One time they asked all the SOI cast what line of work they would want to go into if they were not ice skaters. (Yagudin wanted to be a race car driver or a airplane pilot.)

Yuka said when she was a little girl she always wanted to be a circus performer -- "and I guess that's what I am!"

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't know about talking to herself on a big TV screen, but Yuka Sato skating is :love: :love: :love:

One time they asked all the SOI cast what line of work they would want to go into if they were not ice skaters. (Yagudin wanted to be a race car driver or a airplane pilot.)

Yuka said when she was a little girl she always wanted to be a circus performer -- "and I guess that's what I am!"

She's one of the skaters that truly enjoys performing, from what I can see.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I personally think all the skaters have a love for figure skating. They are as human as the rest of us. I for one don't need the skater to have eye contact with me or even shake hands. I just the enjoy the show for what it is. The only rude person I have seen is David Pelltier (sp?) When I went to the SOI show, some of the fans were by the busses waiting and he came over and said the other skaters made him do it. He signed a few autographs, took a few pictures and then said I got to go. He got very upset when someone asked him for just one more pic but he posed; the flash didn't go off and the girl asked to try again. He actually said....hurry up. The only reason I was there was to get a glimpse of Alexei.

So............not all skaters are nice all the time!!!