Stars on Ice cast | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice cast

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
And I have to post this here, because Marketing. In essence, this is just that:

https://vk.com/evgeniaarmanovnamedvedeva?w=wall-67998976_52048

Reality competition but take a look at the names. And it's kids competing. That's just one of the things you can do to get the broad approach I keep nattering about. Because IMO this is not just about shows in the US, it's more about getting skating going again as a sport and getting it back into homes so that those folks go and pay to watch again.
It's a mix of all these things, and one just won't do.

Manitou

Medalist
And I have to post this here, because Marketing. In essence, this is just that:

https://vk.com/evgeniaarmanovnamedvedeva?w=wall-67998976_52048

Reality competition but take a look at the names. And it's kids competing. That's just one of the things you can do to get the broad approach I keep nattering about. Because IMO this is not just about shows in the US, it's more about getting skating going again as a sport and getting it back into homes so that those folks go and pay to watch again.
It's a mix of all these things, and one just won't do.

I love it! Looks like a reality kids talent show based on figure skating. Great idea. But that's Russia - figure skating has been one of the most popular sports there. Although, I don't see why this couldn't be in the US too. We have singing reality shows, dance reality shows. I dare to say that figure skating talent show for kids should have bigger audience than SYTYCD. And the prize would be a coaching sponsorship. Given the fact how expensive FS is here, many families would be attracted to participating in this show.
I bow to the Russians for inventing this show. Somebody send a link to Fox or ABC!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chapis, when I first read your comment, I disagreed with your premise that Americans are not interested in international figure skaters. I was going to tell you of my experience at Skate America, where the support for all the skaters was excellent. The applause and support for all the skaters was loud and appreciative. Then I slapped myself in the head and thought, but who is the audience for Skate America? Hard core fans, not the general public. The Arena wasn't even sold out for any of the segments, either. So, what do we do to get skating back on the radar of the casual skating fan? Where I live we have had Sarah Hughes win a Gold Medal at the Olympics, the New York Islanders win four Stanley Cups in a row in the 1980's, so figure skating and hockey are popular, but what can we do in areas where skating isn't a blip on the screen of casual sports fans?

Give the poster a gold star!:clap:

I agree with all the ideas about marketing, and I wish we could make them a reality.

But we already have the best skaters in the world coming to Skate America. And the rink isn't close to selling out. And we will have the best skaters in the world coming to 4CC. I will bet you that if it is sold out, it won't be as a result of American fans.

Everyone here may want all their fav international stars and proclaim how we stopped going/won't go/can't even think about SOI without them. That's not going to bring international stars to SOI. Skating being more popular in the US of A, so that somebody besides you and your relatives recognizes them, might bring them back. Maybe.

This is far beyond my feeble powers......:)

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I love it! Looks like a reality kids talent show based on figure skating. Great idea. But that's Russia - figure skating has been one of the most popular sports there. Although, I don't see why this couldn't be in the US too. We have singing reality shows, dance reality shows. I dare to say that figure skating talent show for kids should have bigger audience than SYTYCD. And the prize would be a coaching sponsorship. Given the fact how expensive FS is here, many families would be attracted to participating in this show.
I bow to the Russians for inventing this show. Somebody send a link to Fox or ABC!

Right? It's a reality show, those sell everywhere. And my Russian is enough to tell you that the skaters are mentors, so it's like the Voice only skating based on what I see there, we'll see once it airs. So you're already getting some one on one time with Trankov or Averbukh or Tarasova just by participating if I have that right.
Give a nice prize...
Bring skating back to regular homes, you bring back interest overall but a smidgen. Add other things, put the big picture together. But for example? The show above? That's Rus Fed + Rostelecom working together. So the Russian Fed is actively working on it. USFSA has to as well.

But we already have the best skaters in the world coming to Skate America.

Yes, and no. Depends on the roster. Nathan was the one huge star this season for example and Ashley for the women. Ice shows, which is our initial topic here and I drifted off into broader marketing, don't function in that way. They function by collecting younger, up and coming skaters, present big ones, and old legends into one, together. Different.

Plus let me just say?

The can't be done, can't be done, can't be done attitude? Well you bet it won't be done then. Nothing ever happened before someone actually drew the line, took a risk and started working instead of sitting in a chair nodding and saying it can't be done.

For starters, get enough people to start pinging emails at USFSA about just one spot and international stars and requesting it, and then keep that up. See if it won't happen. Because $$$ always talks. But hey. I mean can't be done in the USA? Ok well, not like there's any place lower to go at this point and in the end USA will just disappear from the skating map for the most part. No skin off our backs.

Barb

Record Breaker
Yes, and no. Depends on the roster. Nathan was the one huge star this season for example and Ashley for the women. .

This season Skate America had the Shibs (I traveled exclusively to see them), but S/M were there too, we saw to Kaori, Boyang, Satoko, Z/Y, Polina T., G/P. And Mao competed in SA (past seasons) too.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
This season Skate America had the Shibs (I traveled exclusively to see them), but S/M were there too, we saw to Kaori, Boyang, Satoko, Z/Y, Polina T., G/P. And Mao competed in SA (past seasons) too.

Sure but apart from the Shibs who are everywhere, are the others truly big draws for America at this point? You start with major singles first. Ok let me give you this mix thanks to FaoI:

Plushy, Lambi, Candeloro, Weir, Buttle, Caro, Tessa and Scott, Zhenya, Zagi, Misha Ge, Elladj, Fernandez and Hanyu, and then replace the local Japanese by Nathan, Ashley and Adam plus the Shibs. You can add Krasnozhon for the experience.

Are you sure that won't sell? I'm sure it will.

But hey, I mean if it won't work, then it won't work. And as long as there's audience apathy, including among those who watch this sport on USA soil, then it won't work. And those Americans who have money will continue spending it in Japan and Europe occasionally.

Better for us I say! So ok, won't work! :biggrin:

kiches

Final Flight
Give the poster a gold star!:clap:

I agree with all the ideas about marketing, and I wish we could make them a reality.

But we already have the best skaters in the world coming to Skate America. And the rink isn't close to selling out. And we will have the best skaters in the world coming to 4CC. I will bet you that if it is sold out, it won't be as a result of American fans.

Everyone here may want all their fav international stars and proclaim how we stopped going/won't go/can't even think about SOI without them. That's not going to bring international stars to SOI. Skating being more popular in the US of A, so that somebody besides you and your relatives recognizes them, might bring them back. Maybe.

This is far beyond my feeble powers......:)

Skate America may not be selling out, but I don't think US Stars on Ice is either if they're aim is to try and sell to the general public by showcasing US skaters only. I do think there was a missed opportunity here in an Olympic year where international figure skating arguably had the greatest exposure on television and media. For those casual viewers who watched the Olympics and may have taken a liking to some of the international skaters they saw, this would've been a great way to try and sell tickets to them. I'm curious if the North American SOI gives offers to many international skaters to join their shows, I can't imagine those offers are better than what Japan or Russia can offer them (it looks like Japan pays well and offers good accommodations from photos that skaters have posted before). In terms of Japanese fans, many are willing to travel to see their favorite skaters because the market for ice shows and competitions in Japan is very competitive. For some it may be cheaper to travel and see their favorites than it is to try and get tickets within their own country on resale.

Didn't Los Angeles have Yuna Kim's "All That Skate" in 2010? It seems that show had a more diverse list of well known skaters, I'm curious how well it sold and I think it could be an indicator of how well US Stars on Ice could do if they had major international stars on it's roster.

I went to Stars on Ice in San Jose in 2014 and took two friends with me that aren't skating fans, I bought the tickets from Craigslist for dirt cheap and the seller threw in some extra tickets they had - I think maybe they got them for free since I picked them up at their office which appeared to an office for journalists or some other publication. Patrick Chan was the only major international skater there I believe and this was after Meryl and Charlie just won gold in Sochi, but the arena was around half empty. I think these ice shows in the US have a reputation for being cheesy with low production quality, and after seeing it I have to agree and haven't felt compelled to spend money to go to another Stars on Ice - I'd much rather save up and spend that money on tickets to an actual competition where I can see international skaters. If organizers are looking for more casual fans to buy tickets, maybe adding a well known musical guest is a better idea if they can afford it.

LucyH

On the Ice
wow that is some cast (The SOI Japan) - I would definitely buy tickets to see that ensemble!

Barb

Record Breaker
Sure but apart from the Shibs who are everywhere, are the others truly big draws for America at this point? You start with major singles first. Ok let me give you this mix thanks to FaoI:

Plushy, Lambi, Candeloro, Weir, Buttle, Caro, Tessa and Scott, Zhenya, Zagi, Misha Ge, Elladj, Fernandez and Hanyu, and then replace the local Japanese by Nathan, Ashley and Adam plus the Shibs. You can add Krasnozhon for the experience.

Are you sure that won't sell? I'm sure it will.

But hey, I mean if it won't work, then it won't work. And as long as there's audience apathy, including among those who watch this sport on USA soil, then it won't work. And those Americans who have money will continue spending it in Japan and Europe occasionally.

Better for us I say! So ok, won't work! :biggrin:

Sorry, if you dont include to Mao, I am not impressed :p. And I already watched the exhibitions of Evgenia and Alina and I prefer S/M over them anyday.

Manitou

Medalist
And I already watched the exhibitions of Evgenia and Alina and I prefer S/M over them anyday.

Those girls haven't developed yet really good exhibition programs, I agree. Plus, to me personally, S/M galas have been the best of all ever. I can't think of any team or single skater with more captivating gala programs. Maybe Yuzuru is close. And that has been since Aljona's beginning. So it's kind of tough to compare them. You can replace the girls even with P/C and your statement will be still true.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Sorry, if you dont include to Mao, I am not impressed :p. And I already watched the exhibitions of Evgenia and Alina and I prefer S/M over them anyday.

But we're not selling to you as a primary audience, you're a nice bonus if we can get you. Currently we're trying to sell to the US market and standards are different. In Japan, and say you as an audience in general who knows more about skating, you don't need bombastic stuff. But when you're trying to conquer a market, you go flashy, or mysterious, or something that leaves impact. The battling Russian Divas! You connect Hanyu to Button and ask Mr. Button to come say hi. You invite live music to accompany a skater. You package it into a quality event, which has quality merch. You earn money on merchandise especially.

You definitely don't start with pairs, or put emphasis on them, cause they have very little traction in the USA. You start with the two things that are still kind of alive - men and ladies. Then add famous ID like the Shibs and then you tempt with a good pair if you can get one. Then you build from there.

Market research, then how much funds you have, short-term, mid-term, long-term plan by a firm of good standing (USA has tonnes) if you're USFSA. And for the smaller things, delegate to qualified personnel (ie shows don't have to be organized by them, but invite folks to help you out who already do it abroad) plus locals.

I'm simplifying a lot of things but it's doable. The big guys upstairs need to want to do this, commit money to it and then know to wait for years. Japan didn't build all their shows, or skating programs, in one day and USA has a more fundamental problem overall I'd say that also needs addressing along the way. And audiences here that still exist need to be active at the start.

But anyway, I've blabbed all over this thread, sorry guys. :giveup:

PS I didn't include Mao as she seems pretty busy, and with her show but sure, if you can get her!

Manitou

Medalist
But anyway, I've blabbed all over this thread, sorry guys.

Don't worry about it, this is what this place is for :)
If I were filthy and disgusting rich and wanted to spend money on promoting figure skating then I would nominate you as a manager :)

Barb

Record Breaker
But we're not selling to you as a primary audience, you're a nice bonus if we can get you. Currently we're trying to sell to the US market and standards are different. In Japan, and say you as an audience in general who knows more about skating, you don't need bombastic stuff. But when you're trying to conquer a market, you go flashy, or mysterious, or something that leaves impact. The battling Russian Divas! You connect Hanyu to Button and ask Mr. Button to come say hi. You invite live music to accompany a skater. You package it into a quality event, which has quality merch. You earn money on merchandise especially.

You definitely don't start with pairs, or put emphasis on them, cause they have very little traction in the USA. You start with the two things that are still kind of alive - men and ladies. Then add famous ID like the Shibs and then you tempt with a good pair if you can get one. Then you build from there.

Market research, then how much funds you have, short-term, mid-term, long-term plan by a firm of good standing (USA has tonnes) if you're USFSA. And for the smaller things, delegate to qualified personnel (ie shows don't have to be organized by them, but invite folks to help you out who already do it abroad) plus locals.

I'm simplifying a lot of things but it's doable. The big guys upstairs need to want to do this, commit money to it and then know to wait for years. Japan didn't build all their shows, or skating programs, in one day and USA has a more fundamental problem overall I'd say that also needs addressing along the way. And audiences here that still exist need to be active at the start.

But anyway, I've blabbed all over this thread, sorry guys. :giveup:

PS I didn't include Mao as she seems pretty busy, and with her show but sure, if you can get her!

Oh okay, I thought you wanted something of quality, and Evgenia and Alina exh are not that. I mean, yes, they are olympic medalists but to pay for see their exhibitions??, those are not much better than Adam or Ashley, in fact, probably worse.

For the record, in latinoamerica, where nobody know any skater, the most popular performance was S/M, 1.3M if I remember correctly, a lot more than Yuzu, Evgenia, V/M, Gabriella malfunction. So definitely random people like pairs, okay, not any pairs but good team pairs.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Say what you want about Ashley and Adam, but those two can perform their skates off, medals don't always equal being able to be a showman/woman.

Those two are good at it. There are many other that haven't been listed yet that if they are on a cast: I know I'm getting an excellent show.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I agree, I think Ashley and Adam particularly shine in shows, and I don’t think most of those who purchase SOI tickets would really prefer to see Alina and Evgenia instead.
And let’s not forget Nathan-now world champion-who is part of the international star cast of Japan SOI as well as the US show⭐

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree, I think Ashley and Adam particularly shine in shows, and I don’t think most of those who purchase SOI tickets would really prefer to see Alina and Evgenia instead.
And let’s not forget Nathan-now world champion-who is part of the international star cast of Japan SOI as well as the US show⭐

Agreed. But Nathan is only doing one show and then travels back to the US for US SOI rehearsals.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Say what you want about Ashley and Adam, but those two can perform their skates off, medals don't always equal being able to be a showman/woman.

Those two are good at it. There are many other that haven't been listed yet that if they are on a cast: I know I'm getting an excellent show.

I think you make a great point but I know I’d be more likely to go if at some point they invited someone like Anastasia Gubanova. Someone who I won’t see at US Nationals that can also perform very well but might not ever get a Skate America spot. There is something cool too about seeing skaters like that and especially in a non competitive environment.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nathan is also doing the Osaka SOI shows (3/31,4/1) in addition to The Legends show that he just performed in.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think you make a great point but I know I’d be more likely to go if at some point they invited someone like Anastasia Gubanova. Someone who I won’t see at US Nationals that can also perform very well but might not ever get a Skate America spot. There is something cool too about seeing skaters like that and especially in a non competitive environment.

I think you partially missed my point. I don't care what country someone is from as far as SOI (you have to remember I said I've been going since the mid-90s when it was a largely international cast), as long as the person can perform for real and is a good show person, then fine. But if they are just some random international skater who can't perform in a show setting to actually entertain then no thanks.