Starting Order | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Starting Order

kikakiks

On the Ice
I was watching the competition live, and Caro stayed in the upright spin much longer than just for half a revolution... I think it was like 3 revolutions or so. Unfortunately... It looked like she was so early in the music that she decided to spend the time in the spin, which was a stupid mistake.. It's so bad that that sort of mistake cost her the title, but on the other hand Laura was very clean and consistent!

Congrats to the top 3, everyone of them was very good!

It is indeed an extra half revolution (so basically 2 and a half revolution). I can't believe this rule had never been applied before!!

Kostner is very stupid and the tech panel was very strict....

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Finland wouldn't send their national champion??

Well, the result at Europeans goes over the Nationals. You see, the Nationals decided which 3 lady skaters were to be sent to Europeans and the result at Europeans (normally) decides which 2 skaters are being sent to Worlds. This time it was decided before the Europeans that only a medalist will qualify for Worlds directly. If only one medalist, the others compete for the second spot at Nordics.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From Icenetwork

Well, she is a lady and a good sportswoman!

Absolutely! I've always had a great appreciation for Caro's sweet personality. She's never spoken negatively about any of her competitors, as far as I know. She has been one to console her competitors when they don't do well in competition, as she did as a junior skater with Miki Ando. She's carried herself with dignity and respect. It's a big reason why I'm a fan of her. Way to go, Kostner! . . . I'm sure she will do better at Worlds.:love::bow::clap:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I just have the feeling that Kostner needs the perfect competition once. A clean shortprogram including 3-3, as well as a clean longprogram with all planned Triples and without those zillion little mistakes that found their way into her performance after last worlds.

Perhaps that would also improve her artistry, she looks so concentrated when she skates, nearly afraid of the jumps - I never have the feeling that she truly attacks the program. During the step sequences it often becomes obvious that she is in fact a very musical skater with fire - but I would love to see that during the entire program.

SXTN

Final Flight
I was really surprised with Kostner today... For the first time , I've seen a kind of freedom when she skated... maybe it's also the new dress.. I think it's really pretty and makes her look really elegant and mature. Wonderful ! Pity about the spin. When she made those three invalid upright revolutions the italian commentator immediately said that this spin will not be counted...
When it comes to PCS I don't think Laura Lepisto can keep up with Carolina... But all in all I think the decision was fine because giving the Gold to Carolina with that mess of a short program would not have been fair.....

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pity about the spin. When she made those three invalid upright revolutions the italian commentator immediately said that this spin will not be counted...

Yes, unfortunate for Kostner. That is exactly what happened to Sarah Meier at the 2007 Trophee Eric Bompard short program. She received zero credit for doing too many upright revolutions in a sit spin. Such a silly mistake, but it does reinforce to the skaters that EVERY component of a program is important and they must not lose their focus on a single element. It's really tough!

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Glebova robbed.
Medals were booked for the finnish everybody knows this. Carolina didn't help so much changing the situation. It was so hard for me I was like the only italian in the upper level of the arena. But I knew that. European champion now is a lady who can't jump flip or luzt and bronze medalist is the lady of the doubles. This europeans were ridiculous but at least most italians had very good performances.
Contesti is history!!!

oleada

Record Breaker
I'm surprised at the hate towards Lepistö. I think she has fantastic skating skills, some of the best in the world, great speed, posture and fantastic spins. Everything she does is well done. No, she didn't land the hardest triples (though might I remind everyone that she finally landed the 3Lz at the NHK trophy?) but it's not he fault that no one else skated clean. I thought she definitely was the best overall at this event. I love her SP - it's a fantastic program, one of the best this year. She's definitely improved presentation wise this year, too.

Congrats, Laura! :thumbsup:

Carolina can land 3F+3T and all the other jumps wonderfully and I generally like her, but she didn't do so at this competition.

p.s. for those who say that she can't be top ten in the world, she was 8th at the world championships last year.

Last edited:

shallwedansu

On the Ice
What?! I love Laura! Like Carolina said, I'm so happy to see Laura win in front of her home crowd. That was great of Carolina to say even after losing the gold in such an unsatisfying way.

Bleh, I hate this phrase, but I think it needs to be applied here. "Hate the game (in this case, the COP), not the player."

eleonora.d

On the Ice
I actually like Laura very much and you could see me holding the finnish flag during her skate tonight. I just think she is not a complete skater as she can't jump flip and lutz. She only landed one lutz this season. In practice she could only single it.
Same for competition. Her scores were inflated I'm not bashing you just have to take a look at her past results.

Thanks for posting the FP links, figuristka. I've read the criticism of the jumping and I still think Lepisto is great. Sparkle, speed and beautiful line - she's just wonderful to watch. I will hope she acquires the missing jumps!

SXTN

Final Flight
I will hope she acquires the missing jumps!
I strongly doubt that.. The finnish ladies all have good loops and toe loops but aren't really famous for good Lutz or Flip technique.. don't know why...

I also think Kiira Korpi should take notes from Lepisto. Year after year she falters because her programs are obviously too difficult for her. At Finnish nationals she only did 2 different triples: 2 Salchows, 2 Loops and the rest 2 Axels... That was probably the first time she skated cleanly....

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Thanks for posting the FP links, figuristka. I've read the criticism of the jumping and I still think Lepisto is great. Sparkle, speed and beautiful line - she's just wonderful to watch. I will hope she acquires the missing jumps!

I hope her Lutz will be ready for Los Angeles. With a strong character like that she could have the perfect skating. Hope this victory gives her even more motivation!

I wonder if she's going to Four Continents. Well I'm really curious to know the entries in general!

pohatta

On the Ice
I strongly doubt that.. The finnish ladies all have good loops and toe loops but aren't really famous for good Lutz or Flip technique.. don't know why...

I also think Kiira Korpi should take notes from Lepisto. Year after year she falters because her programs are obviously too difficult for her. At Finnish nationals she only did 2 different triples: 2 Salchows, 2 Loops and the rest 2 Axels... That was probably the first time she skated cleanly....

Susanna Pöykiö has always had a good lutz, and so did Elina Kettunen and especially Mila Kajas. And your comment about Korpi... you are reading too much to her 2007-2008 LP, which was too difficult and she admitted it herself. Before that, she always moved up with her LP. When she won bronze in Europeans, she was 5th after the SP. Speaking of Korpi skating cleanly, have you really forgotten about last year's Worlds SP?

kikakiks

On the Ice
I actually like Laura very much and you could see me holding the finnish flag during her skate tonight. I just think she is not a complete skater as she can't jump flip and lutz. She only landed one lutz this season. In practice she could only single it.
Same for competition. Her scores were inflated I'm not bashing you just have to take a look at her past results.

I as well think Lepisto is a beutiful skater, though I don't like her as much as Sarah Meier, and i do Prefer Korpi and Poykio over her (though I recognize they were worse in this competition).

I (and others) are mad at the results because of many factors:

- me personally about the level 1 spiral in the short (which that alone cost K. the title)
- the silly mistake on the spin (which I'm blaming the skater, though I would like to check the WHOLE competition to see if anyone else has done the same mistake and it hasn't been counted)
- what I am most mad about is how deliberately Lepisto was held up in her scores, and apparently noone else cares (or maybe just a few) because the rest of the people here are just happy that finally Kostner hasn't won!:cool:

Short Program: I understand Kostner's short was not great, and as a matter of fact she was dinged pretty hard also on the pcs (all in the 6s, whole usually she gets only transitions in the 6..) still this program was very enjoyable and she sold it well. On the same day Lepisto was given higher pcs than usual, but whatever we're in finland, it' ok...
The real problem is in the long, where Carolina with a better than usual program, interpreted, with no hands down and things interrupting the flow she gets pcs comparable to usual.

On the other hand finnish girl Lepisto gets 5 points more of PCS than she usually gets I am not saying 2 or max 3...I am syaing 5!! points are a lot to be gained in just one competition, especially when your long hasn't been that great!

her jump content was:

triple toe DOUBLED toe
POPPED Lutz
triple loop double toe
triple Salchow (strong off balance) double toe
triple loop
two double Axels

Not even at american nationals they would have given 110 for a long with those jumps. not even to alyssa....

And the sad thing is that those generous points were given not before Carolina's program. Lepisto skated just after, and that 5 points pc boost was given to her to win.

Obviously noone complains now, since it's better to make champion a corrupt finn than a corrupt italin right? And don't say that those pcs are deserved, because even if they were how come were they 5 points (not one nor two) below during the GP were she had comparable outings?. I repeat, one thing is to speak about 2 points, but 5 points in one competition (not over time) is ridiculous and makes the finnish federation game so obvious.

It will be interesting to see if at worlds judges will now conform to the INCREDIBLE improvement in skating and artistic value of Lepisto which was seen in Helsinki or they will go back to their usual marks....:rofl:

Last edited: