Still haven't seen any of the new programs and it's almost January | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Still haven't seen any of the new programs and it's almost January

It would be nice if Toyota bought into American figure skating.
Unfortunately, it's kind of bad timing. Toyota just announced its first net annual loss (1.7 billion $US) in its entire 70 year history. The president of the company is expected to resign in disgrace at the end of the next quarter.

(In Japan, it is customary for chief executives to take responsibility for corporate losses. In the U.S., they give themselves million dollar bonuses instead.)

Buick recently cancelled its promotional contract with Tiger Woods. Just as well. There probably won't be a Buick Corporation next year.

Thank goodness for Musselman's Applesauce. Without them, there wouldn't even be any Disson shows on TV.

Star85

Rinkside
I came across a site I'd never heard of before called http://www.truveo.com
Maybe you all know what it is already, and I've just been living under a rock, but when you search for videos on there, it searches youtube, myspace, google, aol... pretty much any site out there that has videos. It's a pretty cool resource. I couldn't find any full figure skating competitions on there, but plenty of individual skates.

Marine63

Rinkside
Worlds on TV

I am especially disappointed that NBC is only showing 2 hrs. of video of the Worlds. I'm thinking they won't show any pairs or ice dancing and only the top 3 of the men's lp. I guess we were spoiled in the past at being able to view all 4 disciplines. On top of that, NBC has the worst commentators. They really make me miss Paul Wylie, Terry Gannon, Dick Button and Peggy Fleming.:disapp:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
They could add more if the US Nats gets high ratings and/or there is a possible American GM contender in one of the disciplines

champs

Final Flight
I was googling Oxygen and reading some info on the wikipedia, so... am I correct in understanding that Universal Sport is an HDTV channel whereas Oxygen is still in SD? If so then that would be a pity as NBC will definitely shoot figureskating events in HD.

And is it the case that there are two satellite or cable TV providers DirecTV and Dish Network in the US that provide Oxygen? I probably should have known all this when I lived in the US but at that time all I did was eating and studying, didn't even own a TV set :laugh:

There's nothing we can do about NBC. The plans are already made. They have altered the Nats to get the poor 2nd tier skaters up at 4am to skate at 8am. I hope Amada Dobbs doesn't have to go through this again. Maybe they will dump on Becky Bereswill. The elite skaters will have a nice showing at 8pm on NBC. Can they get sponsors for the Olys? We'll see if Cleveland increases interest in figure skating for LA.

I don't think NBC can step on the toes of the ISU, so LA Worlds will be as it was in Gotenborg, unless (conspiracy here) NBC palmed a few bucks to Speedy.

I would love to see Abbott win LA Worlds just see what NBC can do with a male skater.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I was googling Oxygen and reading some info on the wikipedia, so... am I correct in understanding that Universal Sport is an HDTV channel whereas Oxygen is still in SD? If so then that would be a pity as NBC will definitely shoot figureskating events in HD.

And is it the case that there are two satellite or cable TV providers DirecTV and Dish Network in the US that provide Oxygen? I probably should have known all this when I lived in the US but at that time all I did was eating and studying, didn't even own a TV set :laugh:

I think Oxygen had HD coverage for the Olympics? At least they had widescreen coverage from Oxygen on their website. Here at home we have Comcast and I don't believe we get that channel. Not that it would have mattered anyway because during that week I'll be back at my place with the antenna (i.e. only NBC coverage)

I think International TV will receive all HD coverage, so nothing for you guys to worry about. :cool:

R.D.

Record Breaker
There's nothing we can do about NBC. The plans are already made. They have altered the Nats to get the poor 2nd tier skaters up at 4am to skate at 8am. I hope Amada Dobbs doesn't have to go through this again. Maybe they will dump on Becky Bereswill. The elite skaters will have a nice showing at 8pm on NBC. Can they get sponsors for the Olys? We'll see if Cleveland increases interest in figure skating for LA.

I don't think the ladies' event is being split this year. According to the Cleveland website, the ladies' free skate is one event; it's the pairs and dance comps that are in two parts this time.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
There's nothing we can do about NBC. The plans are already made. They have altered the Nats to get the poor 2nd tier skaters up at 4am to skate at 8am. I hope Amada Dobbs doesn't have to go through this again. Maybe they will dump on Becky Bereswill.
Becky Bereswill skated in the early Senior Ladies group on Saturday morning last year in St. Paul and still managed to move up to finish in the top 10. :rock:
(Amanda Dobbs skated Junior last year, like she will this year, so I don't know which Senior lady from last year you were referring to?)

According to the Cleveland website, the ladies' free skate is one event; it's the pairs and dance comps that are in two parts this time.
Right. The 3 early groups of Championship (Senior) Pairs FS are scheduled for 11 am on Saturday in Cleveland and the 2 early groups of Championship Dance FD start around 1 pm. The final 2 groups of Pairs FS start at 2:45 pm and final 2 groups of Free Dance at 4:30 pm.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Right. The 3 early groups of Championship (Senior) Pairs FS are scheduled for 11 am on Saturday in Cleveland and the 2 early groups of Championship Dance FD start around 1 pm. The final 2 groups of Pairs FS start at 2:45 pm and final 2 groups of Free Dance at 4:30 pm.

Probably better that way. No one has to get up at 8 or 9 in the morning to compete.

champs

Final Flight
I think Oxygen had HD coverage for the Olympics? At least they had widescreen coverage from Oxygen on their website. Here at home we have Comcast and I don't believe we get that channel. Not that it would have mattered anyway because during that week I'll be back at my place with the antenna (i.e. only NBC coverage)

I think International TV will receive all HD coverage, so nothing for you guys to worry about. :cool:

Thanks for the info Red Dog, so I see, Comcast doesn't have it, at least in your hometown area (or at least in the package your family subscribes.)

About the US Nats coverage internationally, it will be broadcast in my country and probably in Russia too (like last year), I don't know where else, but I don't know if it will be in HD in my country, in fact I doubt it, because last year what they showed was exactly what Ice Network streamed, the video quality being as bad as the streaming video. Not even as good as the old analog TV broadcast. (sigh). So it was Nancy Kerrigan commentating with another announcer (Mancuso being his last name iirc) instead of the NBC team consisting of Hamilton/Bezic/Button/Wilson/Hammond. I am guessing that buying broadcast rights from NBC was too expensive expensive. The only good thing with showing the Ice Network version instead of the NBC version was they showed more skaters in the SP, and also a tiny segment of the post-competition press conference with the medalists.

ETA, Red Dog, I will PM you back sometime soon, sorry for a long delay.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting that you get US Nationals coverage. I remember CN8 (a cable channel only shown in the northeastern part of the country) showed highlights of Japanese Nats one year (I think it was 2006?)

Becky Bereswill skated in the early Senior Ladies group on Saturday morning last year in St. Paul and still managed to move up to finish in the top 10. :rock:
Correct, I just checked my notes. She was 14th after the SP (far from being eliminated) and moved up to 10th after the LP. My point, of course, was that this poor talented kid had to skate in the early morning session for the SP, and then, was able to pull up a few notches to 10th. I am now wondering if NBC had her skating on TV?

Star85

Rinkside
I think Oxygen had HD coverage for the Olympics? At least they had widescreen coverage from Oxygen on their website. Here at home we have Comcast and I don't believe we get that channel.

The olympics were on oxygen?? I watched the olympics, but not on that channel. I have comcast, and I get oxygen. It's probably different in different areas though.

gold12345

Medalist
So Oxygen is definitely not in HD? That sucks, but we're desperate for figure skating coverage, and I'll take it any way I can get it. It looks like they are showing a decent amount of hours for Worlds, but we don't get to see ANY Nationals short programs? Ugh.

I used to take it for granted when ABC was showing hours of hours of coverage every weekend, even of events non-US skaters were in... Now I realize how amazing that was.

merrybari

Final Flight
So Oxygen is definitely not in HD? That sucks, but we're desperate for figure skating coverage, and I'll take it any way I can get it. It looks like they are showing a decent amount of hours for Worlds, but we don't get to see ANY Nationals short programs? Ugh.

I used to take it for granted when ABC was showing hours of hours of coverage every weekend, even of events non-US skaters were in... Now I realize how amazing that was.

Be thankful if you even get Oxygen. My cable service doesn't carry it and a call elicited the information they don't plan to add it.

Won't matter so much in a way, as I'm lucky enough to be there, but it will certainly limit my re-watching when I get home.

For all we took it for granted - sure do miss ABC/ESPN now that it's gone. :disapp:

Johar

Medalist
Our Comcast has dropped Oxygen, National Geographic, Style, Hallmark and is going to drop Cartoon Network very soon.

Another problem is that local affiliates won't air skating if they feel something else garners more money for them. ESPN aired the Breeders' Cup, a huge international event in horse racing. NBC was also to do coverage but the local affiliates decided to run college football games all day instead.

Our Comcast has dropped Oxygen, National Geographic, Style, Hallmark and is going to drop Cartoon Network very soon.

Another problem is that local affiliates won't air skating if they feel something else garners more money for them. ESPN aired the Breeders' Cup, a huge international event in horse racing. NBC was also to do coverage but the local affiliates decided to run college football games all day instead.
I bet they have them on a premium listing to make more money. My RCA does that constantly. We still have Oxygen but who knows after February?