Still haven't seen any of the new programs and it's almost January | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Still haven't seen any of the new programs and it's almost January

Star85

Rinkside
I still don't understand, out of ALL the stations there are, figure skating is having a hard time getting picked up. Why can't they put in on in the graveyard hours or something? It's just reruns and junk getting played in those times anyway. I understand that figure skating doesn't get enough ratings to put it on prime time, or any other good time spot, but does it really rate so bad that espn, with it's many stations can't find somewhere to put it? Or any other of the many stations out there? Put it on at 3 am or something at least! Something is better than nothing. And figure skating will get more ratings than reruns of Buffy, or some fishing show right?... I just think they could do something to get more figure skating on the air.

I have one more question: I usually DVR (tivo) figure skating. When you dvr something, does your viewing not count in the ratings?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ESPN no longer wanted to carry it. their contract expired. so it's up to NBC Universal to do it... and in all honesty I don't think Figure Skating is cost effective. it takes far more people it seems to put on coverage of one event than it does for the whole of something like a fishing competition or show... or a poker challenge... and they're both equally if not more popular than figure skating...

NBC universal does not have an all sports channel. I would bet that if they did we'd see a bit more.

KayMil01

On the Ice
Or if there was a channel dedicated to Olympic sports that are usually only aired during the Olympics. Like, in winter they could show figure skating, speedskating, skiing etc.

Or if there was a channel dedicated to Olympic sports that are usually only aired during the Olympics. Like, in winter they could show figure skating, speedskating, skiing etc.
I think UniversalSport does just that except they seem to forget about figure skating. i believe it is an NBC affiliate shown in HD (not sure). It just isn't a part of NBC's oly plans.

Star85

Rinkside
ESPN takes far more people it seems to put on coverage of one event than it does for the whole of something like a fishing competition or show... or a poker challenge... and they're both equally if not more popular than figure skating...

Yikes. Fishing and poker shows are more popular than figure skating? I hope you're wrong about that :no:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yikes. Fishing and poker shows are more popular than figure skating? I hope you're wrong about that :no:

they don't have to be more popular, per se, but they must attract an audience (i.e. a particular demographic) that appeals to specific advertisers.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IIRC the Poker world championships brought in HUGE ratings last year... or was it two years ago?

and they do have an Olympics channel, or did in 2006... but they just showed highlights... and it never really got off the ground as they never updated it past the second or third day, it was annoying.

flying camel

Medalist
It's hard to believe Univeral Sports can't find anytime for figure skating. The last time I watched that station they were showing the guys paying basketball in Wheelchairs. We know how important that sport is.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
to be honest, I'm glad they ARE getting coverage. we get a heck of a lot more than their sport.