Strangest thing you've seen during a skating show? | Golden Skate

Strangest thing you've seen during a skating show?

Johar

Medalist
Have you seen something unusual or out of the ordinary occur during figure skating ?

Midori Ito jumping too close to a wall and landing in a camera crew pit. She jumped right out and was fine, thank goodness.

Kurt Browning forgetting his routine. He stopped and went toward the boards, where Scottie Hamilton asked what the heck happened. Browning told him and Hamilton asked if he could just ad lib. Browning couldn't. It was the first time I had seen a skater forget a routine.

Last year, when Jonny Weir went down twice, the second time was during a restart. He lay there, too injured to go on.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I don't know if this qualifies, but once during a COI performance in Fresno, I nearly ran into Nicole Bobek outside of Selland Arena. It was intermission, and she was rollerblading on the sidewalk.........too cool..........42

Lynn226

On the Ice
My experience is similar to show42's. During 2003 SC, I was taking a stroll around Hershey Center. The curves in the walkway were sort of blind. It was difficult to know if someone was coming the other way. I was walking down the center. Suddenly, ChiangJiang (spelling?) Li was coming the other way very fast. He was apparently practicing his footwork on dry land. We almost ran into each other. :eek: I later got his autograph. :)

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Brian Boitano wiping out on a deathdrop at a COI show in Philly.

I think he was more shocked than we were! :eek:

Johar

Medalist
Those deathdrops look hard. Hope he dodn't get too shaken up.

I also remember Alexei Urmanov tripping over his looooonnnng cape.

Tonya Harding's lace becoming undone after she started. The site of her propping her leg up on the table was unforgettable....

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Verbalgirl77 said:
Brian Boitano wiping out on a deathdrop at a COI show in Philly.

I think he was more shocked than we were! :eek:
On a similar note, Michelle Kwan wiping out on a butterfly at 1997 Skate Canada after injuring her toe. She called it a "dead butterfly".:)

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Oh gosh, last season at the SOI show in Columbus, Ohio, we were sitting up about ten rows near the end away from the skaters tunnel. At the point in the Studz number where the guys run along the on ice seats, we were watching them on the ice getting ready to do that part. Suddenly, Kurt randomly fell and nearly took half the Studz with him in the on ice area! I could NOT stop laughing the rest of the night over that! Everyone was fine and Kurt was just smacking his head like, "How on earth did I do THAT?!?!" Good times for sure!! He did take out about two other guys (random pile of hot guys, LOL :D) but the other three managed to stay standing and not get taken out, LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kasey

Medalist
I agree with Browning forgetting his routine! I have NEVER seen that happen, before or since!

Also, Yagudin smacking his head on the boards at the '91 Goodwill games was an "OOPSY" moment as well....

Kasey

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Well...

...I realize this is planned rather than "oops" and I haven't watched much professional skating in the last few years.

But, Philipe used to (maybe he still does) always find a way to lose his clothes. I guess I'm reaching that middle age where a little "eye candy" is OK once in awhile. Somehow he can get away with that given the personality of his skating. Maybe he's working towards his next career after skating as a Chippendale boy.

DG

Johar

Medalist
I think it was Katarina Witt who lost the upper part of her costume during a show in Europe.:eek:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
During a 1999 ice show here in Alaska (I think the title was Katarina Witt/Scott Hamilton and Friends... really lame title LOL) and after Maria Butyrskaya put in a program where she fell on every jump and skated very slow and kinda half hearted the crowd gave out applause out of respect... but she just skated off... no bows or anything... that was the weirdest for me. It wasn't a competition, it was just an ice show...
that was in the first act... she had a better skate in the second act got a standing O and still just left the ice... it was really weird.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Somewhere Oksana Baiul made an appearance on the ice. She didn't know the audience expected her to skate and after she left the audience booed.

Lynn226

On the Ice
Johar said:
Somewhere Oksana Baiul made an appearance on the ice. She didn't know the audience expected her to skate and after she left the audience booed.

I think that happened at a hockey game. :confused:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, funny thread... :D

Most recently, the strangest/weirdest thing I've ever seen on the ice has to be those guys that call themselves Anti-gravity on Kurt Browning's Special last month - hilarious - never seen anything like it & hope to never see again. But I have to admit they were funny (though I don't think that was their intention). They looked like something out of a Sigourney Weaver alien movie (no lie), except they were wearing all these nelly-looking outfits (i.e. puffy fur vests, so that they could show off their muscles, and things similar to that). :laugh:

Peace & Laughter, Nadine :)^D

MODIFIED TO ADD: oops, forgot to add that ALL five or six of these guys were literally hopping around the ice on what looked like pogo sticks attached to each leg (lol). :D

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Anti-Gravity also appeared at the Winter Olympic opening and closing ceremonies

windspirit

On the Ice
OK, after seeing yesterday's broadcast from NHK Trophy (or GPF): when they showed Navka & Kostomarov preparing for their skate, there was a guy standing next to them, who was picking his nose... (yeah, bleh!) I think it was Zhulin. :laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
OMG, Windspirit, are you serious...? This really happened, ROTFL!!!

Marjaana

dollyl

Spectator
The funniest move I have ever seen was with Totmianina & Marinin. His sleeve got caught on her skate & it kept stretching & stretching & stretching. It would be your worst living nightmare but I laughed until I cried.

Dollly:laugh:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
strange things?

During the 1994 or 1993 worlds, I believe, Jenni Meno's toe picks got stuck in Todd Sand's costome. And she literally had this look of, "oh no!" Jenni Meno, once more, falling on footwork at the 1998 Olympics...

I agree Tonya in Lillehammer...

This may not qualify as weird, but I find it weird- during the 2002 Olympic ladies short, Maria had an OK skate to this really soft song. In the end, when she struck her final pose, she started to raise her skirt! From then on, I titled that program (I didn't know the name of it) the nun who becomes a hooker program.

Brian Boitano's arm movements to that song, Blue by Eiffel 65. He was just randomly waving his hands, and I think he only used that program once.

windspirit

On the Ice
Jaana said:
OMG, Windspirit, are you serious...? This really happened, ROTFL!!!
Well, I think it did, and it was Zhulin. Someone in the thread about the broadcast (GPF FD and pair's long) at FSU mentioned it. OK, I've found the quote (not for the faint at heart ;) ): "Was that Zhulin picking his nose for 30 seconds before they went to the comercial break?"