strong toe jumpers vs. strong edge jumpers... | Golden Skate

strong toe jumpers vs. strong edge jumpers...

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Do you guys find that some skaters are slightly stronger in one type of jump over another? Please mention some for each category, as well as those dynamos who can do it all equally well (hint hint Midori Ito hint hint:laugh: ).

Sarah

soogar

Record Breaker
Tara Lipinski was a very strong edge jumper. Her salchow and loop were excellent and even though she didn't get a lot of height on her double axel, she whipped through it like a pro.

Midori was strong in all her jumps and she had the strongest axel jump of any lady (including Tonya).

Kristi was a good toe jumper. She had the most difficult time with the loop jump and salchow.

I think guys are more all around jumpers than girls. You don't see a lot of obvious weaknesses with the top guys as you do with girls.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Hughes was a brilliant edge jumper.

Sebestyen and Volchkova are stronger toe jumpers.

Kostner is equally good at both.

BittyBug

On the Ice
I would put Irina Slutskaya in the "all around" category - seems to excel at all jumps.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Yuka Sato was incredible with the edge jumps....but quite weak in comparison when it came to performing the toe jumps. She could pop off those triple loops and salchows out of nowhere!

Nicole Bobek always seemed to be better with the toe jumps (that is, when she landed anything due to her poor training habits). A flutz it may have been, but her 3lz was a beauty. She also did a great split-3t. She always struggled with the 3l and often had issues with the 3s as well. Both cost her the World title in 1995!

I might label Surya Bonaly as a great "all around" jumper. She often had some issues with technique in my opinion, but overall she was a fine jumper. She seemed to be able to do both edge and toe jumps quite well.

Last edited:

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Kurt Browning was definately an edge jumper. The lutz was his weakest jump, by far, and his flip wasn't all that solid either. His 3A was much more consistent than either of those. Oddly, it is the 4toe he landed, not the 4salchow.

Goebel and Cohen are edge jumpers. Weiss, David Pelletier, Kwan, and Yamaguchi are toe jumpers.

shine

Record Breaker
Joannie Rochette executes both types amazingly well. And I just love how she doesn't cheat her salchow entry AT ALL like so many other skaters do.:love:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
The ones that always get to me are the ones that seem to go back and forth.

For example - Paul Wylie. When his 3axel was on, he couldn't seem to get the lutz, while when his lutz was on, the axel wasn't. It was very rare to see him do both well in the same program.

These days I have noticed some of the same trend with Sandhu.

That said, Paul was definitely a better toe jumper. I never saw him do a 3loop at all.

Michelle seems to be a better toe jumper as well. The one tell I have always noticed about her is her 2axel. If she is a little off on it, I start to worry.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Michelle's loop isn't always consistent, but her salchow seems to be.......they're both edge jumps, so I guess, go figure......42

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think you have to give Michelle an all around status. From one year to another, one jump or another may be giving her trouble, but in general she has landed all of them. Which is why she has had the record she has had. Her salchow is always solid. And until she has tried to change the entry this year, her lutz has been solid. The last couple years her 3t has tended to have wonky landings but at the cheesefest she did a great one. The loop has been a problem sometimes of late. She went through a spell of having trouble with the flip, but that's gone.

In general, she's fine.

Liashenko . It is unclear if she can even do a loop. But her salchow and axel are OK. And her toe jumps are good.

Yamaguchi Similar. It was her salchow that she just nearly always fell on. But the loop and axel generally there.

Katy Taylor has problems with the 3toe, according to a Lifetime interview, because she taught it to herself, and then her coach has been trying to teach her the correct technique.

You need another category: Skaters that are nearly all around but have a problem with one specific jump.