Sui and Han grab lead in Pairs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sui and Han grab lead in Pairs

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This exactly kind of confirms my thoughts about their SP performance, the score and placement - I feel incredibly sorry for Bruno, but we ALL (including him in person) feel more for Aljona. Yes, they are a team and they are both responsible as a team of what happened, but even Bruno realizes that the scale is much bigger in Aljona's case - she's 5-time Olympian and in two last quads she won everything except Olympic Gold. He truly understands her drive, passion and competitive spirit in following something she wants so strongly, hence the remark.

After finishing pose Aljona asked him something which was probably, if he doubled his solo jump and he was pretty devastated, because he knows how it fares among all what we saw today. They do not have the hardest jumps, so they sure knew they had to go pristine clean to give themselves best chance. I really respect his honesty and compassion expressed in those few words - it's kind of touching and special to see him not thinking about his own possibility to medal at Olympics (after such sky-rocketed progress and success in past 2/3 seasons), but to focus on what he would not want for Aljona to happen. He gets this drive, poise, hunger - he works with her, after all.

I am in minority probably, but I do think she even had a right to react harsher, bolder - yet she merely has shown disappointment about this situation as a whole, not put the overall blame and fault on Bruno, despite that his mistake was the biggest bullet. This really shows that her class, experience are on par with her skill, drive and capabilities. Queen no matter of what will happen tomorrow, at least for me.

Honestly whatever happens Aljona has pushed the sport in so many way and has left her mark. I really appreciate Bruno taking responsibility and really holding his end. I'm kind of tired of people saying that he doesn't contribute to the partnership -- he has improved leaps and bounds in the last four years. I think this partnership was just as good for him to develop and grow as it was for her to continue.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Honestly whatever happens Aljona has pushed the sport in so many way and has left her mark. I really appreciate Bruno taking responsibility and really holding his end. I'm kind of tired of people saying that he doesn't contribute to the partnership -- he has improved leaps and bounds in the last four years. I think this partnership was just as good for him to develop and grow as it was for her to continue.

yes, I think that he would not have be pushed that far, especially in performance area, if not Aljona's experience and openness to share all 'pairs' widsom' she has. And he compliments her in basically every sense, presents her beautifully which is also a skill not easy to acquire. And he's obviously very driven, eager to learn, sensitive and compassionate towards Aljona, definitely a partnership to remember for me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
yes, I think that he would not have be pushed that far, especially in performance area, if not Aljona's experience and openness to share all 'pairs' widsom' she has. And he compliments her in basically every sense, presents her beautifully which is also a skill not easy to acquire. And he's obviously very driven, eager to learn, sensitive and compassionate towards Aljona, definitely a partnership to remember for me.

And his strength in those lifts is crazy unreal! He contributes so much to the partnership! And it's not easy to do that choreography!!

Country
Russia
"Trankov didn't agree with the points of Duhamel and Radford"

Sports.ru
Primary source http://www.sport-express.ru/olympic...bki-ne-snimali-bally-a-dobavlyali-ih-1371769/
My translation
- Tatiana Tarasova in the report noted that the judges are "dragging" (i.e. overscoring - AlexRus) the Canadian couple. How do you like the work of the judges?

- In general, adequate judging. As for the Canadian pair, this is the traditional loyal attitude to it from the judges. This did not surprise me. I was surprised by another - for the mistakes that were visible to the naked eye, the judges did not substract, but added points to them. But in principle this is not news, it was before too.
And it is all the significant part of article. One question - one answer.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Like is too mild a term for this quip. I might need to borrow from time to time. Just giving you the heads up.

Note to self: Go to Copyright Office TODAY! Remember, royalties! Papa's got rent to pay and every little bit helps.

;)

Jedi

On the Ice
Massot on Savchenko:

"I don't want her to come home with another bronze medal."

I have mixed feelings.. I admire Aliona's will power, drive, dedication and desire to win OGM. This women switches countries, works hard, is mentally unbeatable and wills what she wants including her partners. She is driven and one admires that passion for OGM and work ethics. She strategizes for OGM and this so brilliant and admirable. But I also feel kind of odd - switching countries to get OGM and I understand this statement about not coming home with another bronze. I hope that happens. I hope Sui and Han; T and M and Dand R get the medals and then Aliona need not worry about another bronze :) D and R would be thrilled with a bronze.

Now I still think they will win silver but a boy can dream.

Jedi

On the Ice
I really like Sui and Han but they do not have the magic of past Russian, Chinese and Canadian greats - close but not quite there. Doesn't matter as they are king. I thought they had the best program but the way T and M performed those elements - the bomb!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I really like Sui and Han but they do not have the magic of past Russian, Chinese and Canadian greats - close but not quite there. Doesn't matter as they are king. I thought they had the best program but the way T and M performed those elements - the bomb!

I like T&M's short, but that long... :noshake:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
This competition was crazy! So many amazing skates! Sui/Han were just out of this world! Such superiority in tech and in artistry. T/M were sharp too technically, but the presentation was lacking, still well deserve the 2nd place but IMHO just should not be that close. It's a pity Bruno popped the jump, but they got pretty good marks for what they put out, so they should be very happy about that. Both S/M and D/R were a bit gifted for their throws. Y/Z had a remarkable SP but I think they did not get the PS they deserved, maybe because of skating too early.

It will be a tough battle tonight, who will be on the podium is totally unpredictable. Go everybody and skate clean again!

LRK

Record Breaker
I thought it was a marvellous event. Clean skate after clean skate.

I love and totally agree with what Meagan said, quting from the article:

“The level of pair skating was extremely high today,” said Duhamel. “As pair skaters, we expected it because we’ve seen the depth of pair skating grow more every year. The level is unbelievable. The fact that you need to score over 63 to make the long program just shows that. Not too long ago, we scored 63 points and it got us fifth in the world in the short program. It shows the depth from all the countries around the world. A lot of depth and we’re only going to see that grow as the years go by.”

LRK

Record Breaker
Just to add to the Trankov thing, this is what he had to say about how he felt when he himself was overscored (apropos the state of judging):

"We started to discuss all this and understood that we are looking at things exactly the same way. Both Robin and I, so many times come to the locker room haven skated frankly badly, but still having won, that we did not know how to look into the eyes of those who objectively skated better than us but lost.

After that talk with Robin I realized for myself that I’m not ready to be a part of this system. If the great champions in front of my eyes skate badly, I can not put them higher. Because I was in this skin and I know how it is. I think that’s why there are no outstanding sportsmen among the judges."

http://fs-gossips.com/maxim-trankov-in-sochi-i-played-the-hero-of-supporting-role/

icybear

Medalist
There's only about 2 pts difference between 3rd and 9th place. Crazy! Hope the fs will be good.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I thought it was a marvellous event. Clean skate after clean skate.

I love and totally agree with what Meagan said, quting from the article:

“The level of pair skating was extremely high today,” said Duhamel. “As pair skaters, we expected it because we’ve seen the depth of pair skating grow more every year. The level is unbelievable. The fact that you need to score over 63 to make the long program just shows that. Not too long ago, we scored 63 points and it got us fifth in the world in the short program. It shows the depth from all the countries around the world. A lot of depth and we’re only going to see that grow as the years go by.”

Agree, the event was superbly skated, and I think the cleanest pair short competition I've seen in a long time?
What Meagan said is true on one hand, but on the other PCS have risen steadily for the past couple of seasons. Maybe not quite as much in pairs.
But well done everyone for showing up at the Olympics to their full potential and skating so marvellously under pressure.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Congrats to Weijing and Cong - they were magnificent! But what I really want is to give Bruno a massive hug...

By the way, forgot to ask - Eurosport only showed the last two groups so I missed loads - what happened to the Kneirims? SBS jump trouble perhaps?

They landed their SBS, Chris stepped out but rotated and no fall at least.... they messed up on the triple twist a bit and foot down on throw 3flip. Juts little mistakes that added up. They earned 65 points and are in 14th.

LRK

Record Breaker
Agree, the event was superbly skated, and I think the cleanest pair short competition I've seen in a long time?
What Meagan said is true on one hand, but on the other PCS have risen steadily for the past couple of seasons. Maybe not quite as much in pairs.
But well done everyone for showing up at the Olympics to their full potential and skating so marvellously under pressure.

The short program at Worlds' last year was great also.

PCS may have risen, but lots of pairs have really stepped up their game - and the field is also much wider. There are young and up coming teams, experienced veterans, and everyone in between - plus new countries joining the old established pairs strongholds. As a pairs fan I think these are exciting times.:)

(I don't even want to think about all the pairs who will retire after this season. I'm just savouring the moments.:))