Switching Favorite Disciplines | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Switching Favorite Disciplines

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Men has always been my favorite discipline by far. Ice Dance used to be my second favorite. I also liked Pairs, although not as much as the first two, and Ladies bored me a bit, I wouldn't mind skip the first two warm-up groups at Euros or Worlds.

Lately, I don't follow Ice Dance the same way now because as someone said, it seems like the level lowered a bit, the top teams don't seem as good as the top teams of some years ago. I like Ladies more, not sure why, and Pairs I still like it although I miss B/S so much! :cry: I guess these three switch. One year I like Pairs the most, the next one is Ladies...

But Men is always the best discipline for me :)

ouridol

On the Ice
Of course when I first started out I was only interested in ladies..but after that when I started avidly watching it, I liked Ice Dancing next as well as pairs (the only problem with Pairs is I CANNOT stand watching anything less then a top 10 in the world pair...it really annoys me when they are not skating in synch, their lifts are 'heavy', not connecting w/each other and skating as ONE etc.). I've never been really interested in mens and I still am not. I will definently watch it, but they never had the creativity Ice Dancing did, the grace Ladies did, or the passion pairs did.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
Not really, I just don't follow dance as closely as I have in the past, especially since B&K left the scene! No one caputres my interest at the moment. I have high hopes for D&L, but I really miss B&K!!
You know, there are good ice dance teams who aren't Canadian....

Anyhow, pairs used to be my favorite, when B/S and S/P were competing, but now it's my least favorite. I always like mens, but I like it more now then I did a few years ago.

Lotta

On the Ice
Never switched. Always loved ladies, always will. Cuz I have a lot of favorites there, and this is the only discipline in which I get nervous about. Literally. My heart beats, I pull my hair, I pull sheets, I bite my lip...

And after that is the.... uuuhh... well... I don't have any order, but my lowest fave has always been ice dance. It must be non jump thing in ice dance that never interested me, but the costumes are always funny.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
When I started watching skating, I liked Ladies for Fleming, Pairs for the Protopopovs, and Men's for John Misha Petkovich. I don't remember an emphasis on Dance then, so it wasn't until Seifert and Blumberg that dance joined the other three disciplines as my co-favorites. I'm sure the great dance teams like Pakhomona/Gorshkov were broadcast during Europeans and Worlds, but I don't remember a lot of coverage. I think I was too young to appreciate dance.

millyskate

Rinkside
I used to get more excited about the ladies competition, but now it's the men and pairs that I prefer. They seem to be more "fast moving" disciplines at the moment. The lasts worlds got me back into the ladies though.

icenut84

Final Flight
I used to consider dance my favourite, but right now I'd say it's mens. :) Especially after Worlds this year. The field is so deep, there's so many talented skaters. And the two skaters who I do really get nervous for are in the mens event (Plushenko and Lambiel - my two big faves). I like all the other 3 disciplines too - maybe pairs the least, since B&S and A&B retired, but I love Shen & Zhao and also like Obertas & Slavnov. I like some dance teams but it's not my fave any more. Ladies is still good - but not as exciting as mens any more. Having said that though, I still can't wait to watch 05 Euros & Worlds, in all the events. :)

mariana

On the Ice
At the beggining I liked Pairs the best, but now I LOVE Ice Dance.:love:

Last edited:

thvudragon

On the Ice
boggartlaura said:
You know, there are good ice dance teams who aren't Canadian.....
:laugh: You are now my favorite goldenskate poster! (criteria as of yet is still undecided)

Seriously, if anyone watched Ice Dance for just B&K, then they really did not like Ice Dance in the first place :rolleye:.

TV

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
icenut84 said:
The field is so deep, there's so many talented skaters.
No kidding! There were great Men at the bottom of the field at Worlds this year who don't have all of the jumps and get mired there, but who have really fine edges and flow and are a pleasure to watch. No other discipline was as deep.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
thvudragon

QUOTE]Seriously, if anyone watched Ice Dance for just B&K, then they really did not like Ice Dance in the first place[/QUOTE]

First of all did I actully say that I watched ice dance just for B&K? I thought this was a place express our thoughts free of criticism. I must say, this is one of the rudest remarks I have encountered here at GS.

Actually, besides B&K, my favorite ice dance team was Torvil and Dean. There are of course many great Russian teams. Ice dance was always one of my favorite disciplines.

I stand behind Bourne and Kraatz - it does not matter to me what anyone here at GS says - they were a great team here in Canada for many years. I appreciate their hard work and dedication.

I just regret once again contributing to a post that reaks of "bashing" ones thoughts - not to mention the slight to Bourne and Kraatz.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thvudragon said:

Seriously, if anyone watched Ice Dance for just B&K, then they really did not like Ice Dance in the first place :rolleye:.

TV

just because a favorite dance team of someone else is not a team you consider great doesn't mean the person can't claim Ice Dance as one of their favorite disiplines..

it's the most subjective of the four disiplines, and one most don't understand enough to critique... so it's natural a team that is entertaining would be a favorite... I'm speaking from "experience"

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
just because a favorite dance team of someone else is not a team you consider great doesn't mean the person can't claim Ice Dance as one of their favorite disiplines..

it's the most subjective of the four disiplines, and one most don't understand enough to critique... so it's natural a team that is entertaining would be a favorite... I'm speaking from "experience"
I think TV's point was that if you watch any disipline for just one or two skaters, you can't really like that disipline.

thvudragon

On the Ice
boggartlaura said:
I think TV's point was that if you watch any disipline for just one or two skaters, you can't really like that disipline.
That basically summed up what I was going to say, lol.

It's great that you like B&K or whatever, that isn't my point. My point is that you cannot claim to be a fan of a disciplin like Ice Dance, but then stop following it just because a pair has retired from ISU competition. When you like a discipline, you like the whole thing, not just certain skaters. If you do, you are not a fan of Ice Dance, but a fan of B&K, etc.

Also adding to your facade of a person who seems to only like Canadian Ice Dance teams was your "I have high hopes for D&L". It just seems you are ignoring the myriad other dance teams who are superior to D&L. And please, don't take this as a Canadian bash, I just don't like any of the top Canadian senior dance teams. (I only like Virtue & Moir).

Bleh, did that make sense? :D
TV

nymkfan51

Medalist
I had to go back and reread this thread because I couldn''t understand how Ladskater's post had gotten so twisted. Here is what was said:

"Not really, I just don't follow dance as closely as I have in the past, especially since B&K left the scene!"

This statement makes perfect sense to me. Because of a love for certain skaters, ice dance was Ladskater's favorite. Now that they are no longer skating, it isn't quite the first choice now. Doesn't mean Ladskater has given up on ice dance ... maybe just not quite as passionate about it as before.