Taking Risks in an Olympic Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Taking Risks in an Olympic Season

GGFan

Record Breaker
there's also a difference between being creative and taking a risk. A lot of people here are saying Nathan's SP is risky when I don't really see it that way? It's fresh and cool but where's the risk? If he decided to skate to that artist's discography for his long program now that would've been a RISK but when you've got one of the best choreographers in the world creating a program to a cool song that's not that big of a risk lol

Part of the point of the thread to get the different points of view on what a risk is. The difference between creativity and risk is one of semantics and context, so that's why I like to hear various views on the matter.

A risk can be a small or large, and the thread is open to both. :)

johnsmith72

On the Ice
I don't think MR was necessarily a risk - but I do think it might turn out to be a really poor choice.

When I first heard that was their FD, I was really puzzled. Nothing about that sounded new or innovative or challenging or inspiring. It's the same sense I got when the Shibs announced Coldplay III. Don't get me wrong. Neither MR or Coldplay III are horrible programs/music. They're fine. I just think they do less for the skaters than some other choice could have done.

I've come to like the MR program a bit more than I first did, but here's the bottom line... I think the better team is going to lose. I didn't think the French could (or should) beat them, but I really think that's the case now. And I don't think it had to be that way.

I respectfully disagree. Their MR program with the new improvements is one of the most rewatchable programs ever. I thought their free dance last year was kind of boring and safe, but their MR this year is a masterpiece with so much depth to their movements. It perfectly captures their sexiness, passion, drama, and elegance all in one encompassing program. They could not have pulled off this risky program a few years ago. Definitely agree about Coldplay III being disappointing though

Mayumi1990

Rinkside
Wait so MR is a risk choice for VM?? I thought they chose that specific style because its what they are comfortable and they can identify their style.

Jedi

On the Ice
I respectfully disagree. Their MR program with the new improvements is one of the most rewatchable programs ever. I thought their free dance last year was kind of boring and safe, but their MR this year is a masterpiece with so much depth to their movements. It perfectly captures their sexiness, passion, drama, and elegance all in one encompassing program. They could not have pulled off this risky program a few years ago. Definitely agree about Coldplay III being disappointing though

But the j udges think differently. Just like they don't think Gabby's lesser skill is really an issue. And really they are what count.

MelDee

Final Flight
Wait so MR is a risk choice for VM?? I thought they chose that specific style because its what they are comfortable and they can identify their style.

I don't see their Moulin Rouge as a risk either. It's everything they've ever portrayed composed into a single programme. I see it as their "V/M: Greatest Hits" FD.