TECH PANELS for WORLDS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

TECH PANELS for WORLDS

dancemaster

On the Ice
Why are people complaining? Because there's no transparency in judging, and that was always the problem. We can't see who scores what, so all we can do is look at the people that will be there. No US judges = I'm not very hopeful.
Don't worry
Igor Spilband has more then a few judges in his corner

rosee

On the Ice
Don't worry
Igor Spilband has more then a few judges in his corner

ITA. I wouldn't worry about the NA Ice Dancers, especially not the teams coached by Spilband. Before worrying about the lack of US judge I'd take a look at the nationality of the coaches.

dancemaster

On the Ice
ITA. I wouldn't worry about the NA Ice Dancers, especially not the teams coached by Spilband. Before worrying about the lack of US judge I'd take a look at the nationality of the coaches.
more important how many flags a coach has in his stables:biggrin:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Also I would like to make another clarification, tech panels are not judging panels. Though they have just as much power these days.

Arguably the tech panel has MORE power than the judges - all the need to do is downgrade a couple of triples and a skater can lose anything up to 10 points.

I think it's absolutely sick that some people are already whining and complaining about possible conspiracies 2 days before the competition. Jeez, people, nothing has even happened yet . . . this is beyond ridiculous! :disagree::banging::disapp:

Unfortunately this sport of ours has not given us much to be proud of in terms of transparent judging. For as long as the ISU think annonymous judging is the best way to protect the judges, then people will always raise an eyebrow about the make up of a particular panel. Speculation on which panels favour which skaters have always been vald discussion matter in this judged sport.

Why are people complaining? Because there's no transparency in judging, and that was always the problem. We can't see who scores what, so all we can do is look at the people that will be there. No US judges = I'm not very hopeful.

Let's not forget that this isn't just about the US though, there are actual other countries competing here too ;)

Ant

herios

Medalist
Arguably the tech panel has MORE power than the judges - all the need to do is downgrade a couple of triples and a skater can lose anything up to 10 points.

Unfortunately this sport of ours has not given us much to be proud of in terms of transparent judging. For as long as the ISU think annonymous judging is the best way to protect the judges, then people will always raise an eyebrow about the make up of a particular panel. Speculation on which panels favour which skaters have always been vald discussion matter in this judged sport.

Let's not forget that this isn't just about the US though, there are actual other countries competing here too ;)

Ant

I am in agreement with everything you said. No US judge means nothing. Statistically, one judge has very little influence, much less under COP than under the old system.

dancemaster

On the Ice
I am in agreement with everything you said. No US judge means nothing. Statistically, one judge has very little influence, much less under COP than under the old system.
you are so wrong,one judge makes the world of differences in most cases( in ice dancing)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, one judge can wield a LOT of power, especially since once random selection is done and the high and low scores are eliminated, only 5 judges decide the outcome of the competition.

dancemaster

On the Ice
Unfortunately, one judge can wield a LOT of power, especially since once random selection is done and the high and low scores are eliminated, only 5 judges decide the outcome of the competition.
even before this process happens ,the lobbing that goes on behind closed doors(.now that is amazing stuff) if you don't have a judge or a voice you have nothing to trade,
so go figure:biggrin:
Please don't get me wrong this behind the scene action will not bring a couple from 10th place to a silver medal, but can help move you a place or two

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Sadly, I would agree that the concerns voiced are both "annoying/disappointing" but inevitably still relevant. Hard to escape when people/politics are involved.