Ted & Mark: Rule Changes Through Time | Golden Skate

Ted & Mark: Rule Changes Through Time

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The sport of Figure Skating has a rich history, and its rules have evolved significantly over time. Listen in as Ted Barton and Mark Hanretty take us back several decades to present!

Rules and regulations can change over time, often in response to evolving trends, technological advancements, and the desire to keep the sport engaging and fair for both athletes and audiences.

What are your thoughts on the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) for scoring elements? How do you feel about the change on the age limits? Do you think "repetition" influences judging? Share below!

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I can't hear it right now, but as a non-native English speaker, from a country who has paid and is still paying to know what "rule" means, I find it very interesting that "rule" was chosen instead of "rules" in the title. I wonder if Mark Hanretty and Ted Barton will dig into what it means... when it may explain how and why rules change (I confess, I don't expect them to go so far as to dig on what circumstancially happened at the infamous Phuket Congress, live streamed to abashed fans around the world, to have the most controversial rule changes "voted").

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I take the last question now. Some years ago I opened a thread where I asked can judges be replaced by computers. Most of GS members were of the opinion that it is not possible. It would be interesting to know if they have changed their mind after fast development of AI. Here is the link to that thread. One question is also, that will it be even necessary in the future? Will there be volunteers or must judges to be payed to even get judges? I don't know how it is in other countries, but here in Finland almost everything is lacking of young volunteers, almost in everything when we talk about volunteering at any area. I have noticed that there are no young judges. Of course they must go through education and tests and know about skating. So the next step may well be that help of AI will be used, which means >, e, q, will me more accurate, the speed and highness will have values. Judges have already started to be stricter with them, are they computers now more accurate or are they just answering to critics?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't hear it right now, but as a non-native English speaker, from a country who has paid and is still paying to know what "rule" means, I find it very interesting that "rule" was chosen instead of "rules" in the title. I wonder if Mark Hanretty and Ted Barton will dig into what it means... when it may explain how and why rules change (I confess, I don't expect them to go so far as to dig on what circumstancially happened at the infamous Phuket Congress, live streamed to abashed fans around the world, to have the most controversial rule changes "voted").

I have not listened either, but I may be able (I hope) to help the confusion about the tile. Hopefully it may help other non-native speakers, thank you for flagging the issue.

"Rule" in this case is used more like an adjective, it does not signify a particular rule, but rather "changes" (plural) about any or all rules. If the word Rule were placed after changes, rather than before, the headline would be "Changes to the Rules" (plural) through time. But that could be unnecessarily long for a headline.

I am looking forward to when I have time to listen to this, as I very much enjoyed the previous two videos with Ted and Mark.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have not listened either, but I may be able (I hope) to help the confusion about the tile. Hopefully it may help other non-native speakers, thank you for flagging the issue.

"Rule" in this case is used more like an adjective, it does not signify a particular rule, but rather "changes" (plural) about any or all rules. If the word Rule were placed after changes, rather than before, the headline would be "Changes to the Rules" (plural) through time. But that could be unnecessarily long for a headline.

I am looking forward to when I have time to listen to this, as I very much enjoyed the previous two videos with Ted and Mark.
I think there are two things here. (I am ESL as well but interested in such things).

1) Grammatically Rule is still a noun. But as you say, it sort of acts as an adjective in the sense that it qualifies the other noun Changes. In French it is called a complément du nom. This is what happens when two nouns are interacting together. So it could be Les changements au règlement (singular). Ou changement (s) de règles (plural) . Note that in French, there will most likely be a preposition. In Latin, the word ending would change (genitive case). In German, they most likely combine both nouns into one big combo.

2) The previous poster is seeing rule in its other meaning. (like it is in Under the British rule).... So in that case, I can see why they are confused by the title but at the same time, the title is perfectly correct. Many words have more than one meaning.

The real elephant in the room, is that me 3, I haven't been able to watch this.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
watched it now.

My favourite part : Ted saying that he doesn't mind when fans complain about some rule changes. It shows the fans' passion, and at some point, they will find their happy place.

I think it's a good episode that could serve as an intro into the evolution of the sport over the years from the removal of figures and C Dances, to the potential to add AI.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker

Thank you for the explanation! My error was in fact to understand changes as a verb, so rule "had to" be a noun. We have much worse in French!

@ CrazyKittenLady
Your Mozart perhaps preferred Italian over German, but that's because he didn't know Fritz Wunderlich. With Fritz Wunderlich, German pronunciation comes in a breeze (but, although I'm not a German speaker, I'm afraid not everybody would understand it).

Sorry for the off-topic.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States

I think of "rule changes" as a compound word, like "ice cream" or "cotton candy", but I know other languages will put it into the structure of something of something, "changes of rules".

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now that I have listened, another interesting conversation.

I love that the conversation is more broad based and not 'here's this rule change, here's how it is implemented" but addressing topics as to whether there is reputation judging (Ted evades the "quad bonus" PCS issue nicely ;) ) and how the IJS system is athlete friendly.

Also love this description of the pioneers of the sport from Ted (paraphrasing)

Toller Cranston and John Curry showed the skating community a bend in the road that they didn't even realize was there. ❤️